Hi from South UK

Sun May 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Just acquired my second L2500 having so loved the first acquired a year or so back, both acquired through the UK bass forum BassChat

Gigging regularly & for years on the South Coast, for much of that with my Wal Pro1/Custom I got into 5's through a modded SUB5 that was soon replaced with a 4+1 L2500 in translucent red with a masked binding stripe and quickly fell in love with the bass & sounds possible in the rock covers band I am with.

Earlier this year I joined a p/t proggy covers band and decided I needed a fretless. That led initially to a cheap, but all the same good Peavey Foundation lined fretless - also via BC - but I had also been watching a green translucent 3+2 L2500 lined fretless and last week weakened as it was still there and pulled the trigger on that and it arrived last Friday

What is particularly galling is last Thursday I had the second operation on my right arm/hand this year (Feb the wrist was replaced, Thursday the pinkie knuckle along with some tinkering with tendons) and I am presently in a half cast from forearm to fingertips so can do no more than a tentative pluck with my thumb :(

Both have moulded G&L cases, but odd to note that the body hole is much larger than the basses, particularly the fretless.

Re: Hi from South UK

Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Welcome. A couple of fine basses you're showing off here. I have a thing for green guitars. One day I will have one, I swear.
Sorry to hear about your hand troubles. That has to suck for a musician who depends on them being in working order. Don't worry though, I've heard that G&L is coming out with a harmonica. ( :BadIdea: O.K., so it was a bad joke, but that's what I'm known for around here. ) Heel well, and get back to slappin' and pluckin' those basses ASAP.

Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 am

:lol: Cheers. Plaster possibly off Wednesday and if it's worked as well as the index finger a couple of years back it'll be all good.

G&L's are difficult to come by over here, but have a loyal following that I joined after getting the red fretted L2500 a couple of years back. Stingray on steroids indeed and with so many more options IMO anyway

Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 am

Welcome, that axe is nice!.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 am

Welcome and beautiful basses. Red and green. You know your complimentary colors ... ;)

Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 am

...with my tobacco burst Wal I have a set of traffic lights :D

Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Nice axes, and welcome

A quick question about the wood binding on the red one, is it just an unpainted/stained area (like a natural binding) or is it added as par plastic binding and bumps out?

Mon May 03, 2010 2:00 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Nice axes, and welcome

A quick question about the wood binding on the red one, is it just an unpainted/stained area (like a natural binding) or is it added as par plastic binding and bumps out?

It's just a masked off unstained area. I didn't realise from the photos I saw before I bought it, but it looks really good and very well done.

Not sure of the vintage, as I believe the definitive serial is in the neck pocket (and that was not noted down because when it was refretted and a bump at the top of the neck skimmed as I did not know that then), but based on the stamp on the neck plate it appears to be pre the first? Unless I misunderstood? being B000627, though elsewhere I see that may not be so and it is from 1980 (apparently) with production runs starting from 000500 - so still quite early

Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks AlEebee, if it was a added layer I wouldn't like it, but a masked unstained area I did. My C66 has a natural binding border on the flame top, then has a mahogany body. Best seen here http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/sirmyghin/DSCF0899.jpg

Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Thanks AlEebee, if it was a added layer I wouldn't like it, but a masked unstained area I did. My C66 has a natural binding border on the flame top, then has a mahogany body. Best seen here http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/sirmyghin/DSCF0899.jpg
That's a great looking guitar.

Just after I bought the red fretted, a matter of almost days, a beautiful flamed maple bodied 3+2 L2500 turned up on Ebay & I itched for a while on that :roll:

Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

AlEebee wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:Thanks AlEebee, if it was a added layer I wouldn't like it, but a masked unstained area I did. My C66 has a natural binding border on the flame top, then has a mahogany body. Best seen here http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/sirmyghin/DSCF0899.jpg
That's a great looking guitar.

Just after I bought the red fretted, a matter of almost days, a beautiful flamed maple bodied 3+2 L2500 turned up on Ebay & I itched for a while on that :roll:

Flames are nice, but simple is nice too, hence my next guitar and bass pair will be simple. Thinking a natural Walnut SB5000 from carvin, maybe with a sunset burst edge (same edge colour as that C66). And a trans orange ASAT. I also tend to be less paranoid playing out with bolt ons, for obvious reasons. I have an LB75 neck through bass that is too amazing looking, it took me a long time to get over not wanting to get even the slightest ding on it.