Anxiously waiting...

Sun May 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for a while, but recently registered in anticipation of joining the G&L club. I am expecting a semi-hollow Bluesboy in the next few weeks!

I got a late start on the guitar - about 3 years ago around my 40th birthday. I guess its kind of a mid-life crisis thing, but I can think of worse habits to pick up! My favorite music is 60's and 70's rock and old blues and mostly play around with blues/rock progressions and a few riffs. I took lessons for a year or so, but stopped when I started traveling a lot for work - need to get back into it eventually. Given that my hands and ears now cooperate with me much better than they did when I started, I think lessons would be a whole new experience and I would get a lot out of them now.

After working through several (mostly used) acoustic and electric guitars, I have finally decided the Telecaster style is right for me. I bought a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster and Super Champ XD over a year ago and have really enjoy both of them. Since I have been enjoying the Tele so much and my nice Larrivee Parlor was sitting in its case for several months, I decided to sell it (along with some other accumulated gear) and get a nicer Tele. I spent several months in the local guitar shops trying out every Fender Telecaster that came along, but just never found one that did it for me.

There is a father/son guitar shop near my office that I visit on occasion - and they are big on Taylor and G&L. I have always liked the guys in there and recently purchased a Baby Taylor from them for traveling - but had never really considered G&L's as a serious option. However, I took a closer look one day and was really impressed with the look and feel of the guitars and did some research online. I decided to take my amp in one Saturday to try out a few. I played several guitars, but the one that I really liked the most was a decked out Bluesboy. I know it has a humbucker and loses some of that Telecaster authenticity, but I just loved the sound!

While it was way over my budget, they suggested I order one with fewer upgrades to keep the price down. After considering the various options and looking at lots of pictures online, I ordered a semi-hollow (no f-hole) transparent orange Bluesboy with a rosewood fretboard and cream pickguard. I know it is more guitar than I really need right now - but its rarely about what we need is it?

I have to say that I am a bit apprehensive about buying something like that "sight unseen" but all of the G&L's they had looked and felt great (even the Tributes) and they assured me that they and G&L would do everything they could to be sure I was satisfied. So I took the leap of faith!

I can't wait to get my beautiful guitar and look forward to being part of the community here!

EJ

Re: Anxiously waiting...

Sun May 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Welcome. I'm sure that you'll love your Bluesboy. I too gravitate toward ASAT/Tele bodies. With me it's about pure ergonomics. Good luck.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:02 pm

G&L's do have a "magic" about them. My Invader isn't my most expensive axe but it is my daily driver. It just does it for me if you know what I mean.

Congratulation's on your purchase. Share some pics when you get it.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Congrats on the purchase. I bought my G&L used, sight unseen, and in terms of playability and feel, it's my favorite guitar!! As already stated, show us some pics when you get it!!

Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 am

Welcome! And as an owner of 3 BB, I'll know you're gonna love yours. :happy0065:

As far as buying a G&L 'sight unseen' , I bought all of mine but one that way, new and used, and have never been disappointed. G&L's are very well built as most, if not all, of us on this forum will attest.