New G&L Legacy owner popping in to say Hi

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Got this a few weeks ago... It's an interesting story. I was there the day the dealer got the guitar in and instantly bonded with it. I was the first person to play it and just loved it. The problem was I was broke at the time and figured it'd sell before I could get the cash together. So the shop sells some G&L and ESP and Godin and whatnot. Typically nicer stuff rather than mass produced junk like Guitar Center has and while people happily pay stupid money for a US Fender with the neck on crooked they won't spend less for a much better built G&L so this guitar sat there on the wall for a year or so.

So a couple weeks ago I sold an old Marshall JMP I had laying around and decided to make an offer on this guitar. We worked out a deal and I walked out with it. I'm stoked as it's easily the nicest strat style guitar short of something like a Suhr or Anderson I've played and it easily keeps up with them at less than half the price. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be collecting more.

I should add the only thing I plan on changing is I'm tossing a Suhr Aldridge humbucker in the bridge.

Here's a pic...

Re: New G&L Legacy owner popping in to say Hi

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:30 pm

That's a fine looking Legacy you've got there. I don't know that I've seen another in that color. Everyone here seems to rave about their Legacies. Since it's set up for a humbucker in the bridge, why not experiment with others? Good luck.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 pm

What don't you like about the stock humbucker?

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:18 pm

ASATNoah wrote:What don't you like about the stock humbucker?

I've never been a fan of the Duncan JB. The Suhr Aldridge I'm replacing it with is about the same output on paper, but is much clearer, more dynamic, and sounds much better split. Additionally, note separation when you're playing chords with gain is better and the overall tone is just better. Suhr pickups are just really good, especially for the money.

I'm a total pickup whore tho... :crazy: I've got the same bridge pickup in my Les Paul.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:31 am

Nice Legacy!
Welcome.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 am

Congrats on the new Legacy...

Seymour Dunca JB=do not want. Hate it with a passion. I might try them out with 250k pots to see if they are even useable that way...

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 am

Welcome. Beautiful Legacy HB!

Hey, if you're looking for a bridge humbucker with a similar output that is crisp, clear and splits wonderfully, you may want to give Dimarzio's Virtual PAF a go. Check out the reviews on Harmony Central. Great pickup, and splits way better than anything else I've tried - at half the price of the Suhr! - ed

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Welcome. Beautiful Legacy HB!

Hey, if you're looking for a bridge humbucker with a similar output that is crisp, clear and splits wonderfully, you may want to give Dimarzio's Virtual PAF a go. Check out the reviews on Harmony Central. Great pickup, and splits way better than anything else I've tried - at half the price of the Suhr! - ed

The Virtual PAF is a great pickup. I used to have a set of the 36th anniversary PAF's in my LP and they're also great. I'm also a huge fan of the Breed bridge pup in a bright guitar (my LP is fairly bright) and the Bluesbucker (Dimarzio's take on a H sized P-90) is a great pickup as well.

The reason I elected to swap to the Suhr Aldridge is because I've got a buddy with one in his strat style Suhr and I've played them in LP style guitars as well as Basswood guitars and they just seem to hit that perfect blend of output and dynamics and clarity I like from a bridge pickup. They also let the character of the individual guitar shine through but while they sound different in everything I've tried them in they always sound good, which is something you can't say for everything.