Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:56 am

Hi there all I'm from Australia and am considering buying a G&L custom guitar a Legacy to be exact , has anyone here had dealings with the Axe Palace whom i am considering ordering through or can anyone recommend a reliable trustworthy seller :D

Re: Newbie

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 am

Welcome Tyler !! ... we have some Ausse's here that I'm sure will chime in

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am

Welcome!
I know of several great places in the US... but I'm not much help for outside of that.

The Legacy is an excellent guitar and hard to find better ;)

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:37 pm

The Axe palace is in the US not sure actually who does G&L customs in Australia, so a US shop is what i was considering, how is or in what way would you say the Legacy or a G&L is better than a Fender or Strat.?

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 am

tyler b wrote: how is or in what way would you say the Legacy or a G&L is better than a Fender or Strat.?

Oh, let me count the ways!

First and foremost, the Legacy has a better build quality and better materials than a Strat when comparing common price points. The neck profile on the G&L is better, IMHO, more comfy.

The tone on the Legacy pups sound better than American Standard Strat pups, especially the bridge pickup (a Fender is way to thin to the point of being unusable). The Legacy has a PTB (passive treble and bass) tone system that is WAY more versatile than the standard tone controls on a Strat- giving you usable tones on all switching position.

The DF (dual fulcrum) trem is more stable than a six screw strat trem, stays in tune better and vibrato action is smoother- and you can pitch up as well as dive.

And of course, order it the way you want it for an off the shelf Fender price.

Did I miss anything guys? :shocked028:

Cheers!

~JagInTheBag

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Did I miss anything guys? :shocked028:

If you get the chance to try a Legacy, S-500, Comanche or other PTB-equipped G&L, don't dial it in like a Fender. I'd start with all three knobs centered, and adjust to taste from there. Otherwise, you may not get a great first impression.

As far as the other models I mentioned, they may be worth considering too. An S-500 would give you Magnetic Field Design pickups, and a Comanche would give you hum-cancelling Z-coils. Either of those would give you additional switching options that don't exist on the Legacy or Strat.

The finishes you'll find on G&Ls beat anything coming out of Fender or most other large builders. Words and pictures don't convey how nice they are. The standard finishes are great, and the premium ones (especially Clear Orange, Honey and Honeyburst, IMO) are out of this world.

Patrick mentioned ordering it how you want, but if you haven't really checked out the list of options you might be surprised at just how far you can customize a regular production G&L order. I'd suggest using the G&L generator (http://www.americanguitarboutique.net/AGB_Generator_index.html) to see what's available in terms of body and neck woods and finishes, bridges, tuners and cosmetics.

Ken

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks a lot guys for the tips and advice.