New Member Intro

Sat May 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and a new bass player starting out late(r) in life :D Last fall I decided I'd waited long enough to learn an instrument I've admired for so long. I started out as a rhythm guitarist many years ago, playing on & off while I was in the Air Force (retired recently). It was somewhere around 1998 that I discovered G&L, and special ordered a white Legacy in 1999. Still have it actually ;)

Anyway, last Sept, or Oct I bought the LB-100 and I've been playing it nearly every day since. I've been playing bass with our church band since Superbowl Sunday, and have been having such a blast with it. The bass has been such a great distraction from my college studies (returned for my BA, and begin grad school this fall). Heck, just last weekend I put the books aside for a while and learned the Police tune "Walking on the Moon." An easy tune yes, but hey ya gotta start somewhere and like I said-- I'm having fun :mrgreen:

Gear:
- G&L LB-100
- Carvin MB15

I do have a second piece of gear on the way, but that's a post for another time :shh:

Looking forward to hanging out with y'all-- and the Lunch Report-- love it!

~Monahan

Re: New Member Intro

Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Hello,

Man you made a nice avatar with the bass and the deck background.

Do you have a picture of the white Legacy?

Glad to hear you are enjoying playing more and devoting more time to it.

Things can be especially quiet on this forum over the weekend.

Good ol' Washington State, such a beautiful place. The whole thing could have been a park. Same with Oregon. There are beautiful places everywhere but the Olympic and Cascades are high on the list. I guess things are more barren in the eastern portion.

Is the Carvin the amp that you use when playing in the church band?

Do you play the Legacy through it as well?

Sat May 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Another Washingtonian! Welcome Monahan. Gorgeous bass, especially the color. Sweet.

- Jos

Sat May 31, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks guys!

I don't have a photo of the Legacy handy, but I'll post one soon. I just play the bass through the MB15, the Legacy typically goes through a 1970s Fender Champ, Boss GT-100 (at church-- going direct) or a Carvin X100b 2x12.

I've mostly been using the "house amp" at church which is a similar sized Ampeg. In our larger service I've been going direct (which reminds me I need to check out the SansAmp Bass Driver DI...)

Wa & Or are beautiful places to visit and live. And they've both got pretty cool music scenes. I hope to be playing with a band at our local farmers market soon, and with a monthly Irish folk jam that happens in town. Goals to strive for ;)

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:03 am

Sweeeeet bass and the blue finish is awesome, welcome

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Okay... had a little free time to take photos of my 1999 white Legacy:

About the neck, I ordered it with a #3 V and G&L delivered that and then some ;) The fingerboard is pretty dark, but under enough light you begin to see a deep red color. The body was white, much like the pick guard, but has since faded a bit, but only slightly-- not like the banana-yellow we are accustomed to seeing on old Strats. It's more of a "classic white."

The pickups are Kinman noiseless, but when I get the time and money I plan on returning to the stock wiring and MFD pickups like those found on the S500. But since I've been playing bass more these days the changes won't be in the budget for a few years yet.

Speaking of which, I'm going to spend the next few hours with my LB-100 :mrgreen:

~Monahan

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome Monahan, very nice bass but the Legacy is stellar. I am a huge fan of the older GOT necks and that one is a beauty. -- Darwin

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Monahan,

As Darwin states above, that Legacy is an absolute beauty. +1 on the old GOT Bi-Cut necks. Almost as good as flame ...

- Jos

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 pm

beautiful Legacy !!

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Alright! Someone else with one of the new LB-100s, and in a very nice colour scheme! Hope you like yours as much as I do mine :thumbup:

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks for all the kind words!

The Legacy is a great guitar. Have they stopped doing the bi-cut necks?

blargfromouterspace wrote:Alright! Someone else with one of the new LB-100s, and in a very nice colour scheme! Hope you like yours as much as I do mine :thumbup:

I was incredibly fortunate with this one. I knew the color I wanted having checked the G&L website, and searched the net for one. A few days later I found one, and a week after that it was mine :D I've played it nearly every day since buying it, and enjoy it so much that last Friday I ordered something to complement it... should be here by the end of the week, beginning of the next. More on that real soon ;)

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Monahan wrote:Thanks for all the kind words!

The Legacy is a great guitar. Have they stopped doing the bi-cut necks?

Yes, that was changed in mid-2006. See these posts: About the truss rod and About non-compression truss rod and Plek.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: