New here, and kind of clueless!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi! I briefly read the "read this first" section, but I'm brand new to a forum of this nature, so I couldn't find the introduction area to say hi. Anyway, I'm in the Cincinnati area, and am looking for information regarding a guitar that was given to me by my grandpa prior to his death. I have a G&L SC-2. I'd love to post pictures, but I spotted the tutorial on my way here and couldn't find it again, so I'm not sure how.

It's in a hard case with a "G&L GUITARS AND BASSES FULLERTON, CALIFORNIA" sticker on the outside. I'm not sure if the case is made by the same company as the guitar, but it has a fuzzy, red interior.

The guitar itself looks very little like the Google images that popped up when I typed in the model. It has a maple neck with a dark cherry brown body and is black along the edges of the body. The pieces that the strings rest on (please pardon my ignorance) are black, and the hardware is all silver.

I'm looking for any sort of information I can gather regarding this guitar. I know the SC-2 model was made in 1982 first, and then continued in 1984 and longer, if I'm not mistaken.

Is there a serial number somewhere on this guitar? All I could find was a patent number, which was 4220069 (and listed on those plastic pieces that I don't know the name of.)

Any assistance in determining if I've got a little treasure on my hands is greatly appreciated. I'd love to share a picture if someone could direct me to that link, as well.
Thanks in advance!

Re: New here, and kind of clueless!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:40 pm

MissBliss wrote:Hi! I briefly read the "read this first" section, but I'm brand new to a forum of this nature, so I couldn't find the introduction area to say hi. Anyway, I'm in the Cincinnati area, and am looking for information regarding a guitar that was given to me by my grandpa prior to his death. I have a G&L SC-2. I'd love to post pictures, but I spotted the tutorial on my way here and couldn't find it again, so I'm not sure how.

It's in a hard case with a "G&L GUITARS AND BASSES FULLERTON, CALIFORNIA" sticker on the outside. I'm not sure if the case is made by the same company as the guitar, but it has a fuzzy, red interior.

The guitar itself looks very little like the Google images that popped up when I typed in the model. It has a maple neck with a dark cherry brown body and is black along the edges of the body. The pieces that the strings rest on (please pardon my ignorance) are black, and the hardware is all silver.

I'm looking for any sort of information I can gather regarding this guitar. I know the SC-2 model was made in 1982 first, and then continued in 1984 and longer, if I'm not mistaken.

Is there a serial number somewhere on this guitar? All I could find was a patent number, which was 4220069 (and listed on those plastic pieces that I don't know the name of.)

Any assistance in determining if I've got a little treasure on my hands is greatly appreciated. I'd love to share a picture if someone could direct me to that link, as well.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome, MissBliss! :ugeek:

I moved your post into the Introduction sub-forum for you.

Here's some posts for you to check out:
Welcome! Read This First [located in the Announcements Section of each sub-forum]
Forum FAQ [located near the top of the page near the Login link]
Tutorial: Posting photos [located in the Announcements Section of each sub-forum]
Serial number significance [located in the G&L Knowledgebase forum, General G&L Questions sub-forum]
Production List of G&L Instruments (USA) [located in the G&L Knowledgebase forum, General G&L Questions sub-forum]

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:17 am

Sounds like you have a treasure - regardless of value!

You came to the right place for info on your guitar but I am not the one with the knowledge. If you post pics, the members here will provide you with all kinds of information. They are probably drooling as they read your post. :lol:

Make sure you post pictures of the thingies you have questions about so the members can tell you what they are. Exciting stuff!

Welcome and good luck in your info search. :searching:

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

Hello from a former Cincinnati resident! There were two different versions of the SC-2 back in the '80s, and there's been a modern version for the past five years or so. The headstock photo in your avatar is definitely one of the originals from the '80s. They are wonderful guitars. The serial number on yours will be stamped either on the metal plate where the neck attaches to the body, or on the bridge (where the strings attach to the body). In my experience some of the bridge serial numbers can be difficult to read. I've found that shining a very bright flashlight can make it more visible. Here are a couple of examples of serial numbers on old G&Ls, in case they help you find your guitar's:

The serial numbers used by G&L in the 1980s were the letter "G" followed by six digits.

The SC-2 went through two body styles, as you mentioned. We can tell you a lot about the instrument if you post photos. Craig posted the link to the tutorial in his reply.

There were only about 600 SC-2s built in '82-'83, and I'm not sure how many more were made after the body style was changed in '84. In any case, they are not very common guitars. From the description you gave, it sounds like your guitar has a sunburst finish. Sunburst finishes were used on a very small number of SC-series instruments, which would make yours even more unique.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am

Welcome MissBliss! Looking forward to seeing the SC-2. I'll bet it is a cool guitar.-- Darwin

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 am

Thank you all for your responses and warm welcome! KenC, thanks for your info as well. I was able to locate the serial number under a nice layer of dust. It is 0014098. I am attempting to add photos, so hopefully this works. The guitar is gorgeous, but it is dirty, has seen a lot of wear, and longs to be played. I've got a friend who's pretty excited to come try it out, but I'd like to sell it eventually. If it would be beneficial for determining whether or not it's a nice guitar, I can take better pictures with a different camera.

Thanks again, everyone! I look forward to hearing more about this. I know very little about guitars, but lightning shot up my spine when I strummed it, so I think it's pretty special.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:49 am

MissBliss wrote:
Thanks again, everyone! I look forward to hearing more about this. I know very little about guitars, but lightning shot up my spine when I strummed it, so I think it's pretty special.

That is good description of what I imagine most of us experienced when playing a leo-era G&L for the first time :happy0065:

The first character in the serial is a G (the crinkle coat can fill in the details sometimes).

A beauty for sure, someone loved that guitar...you can tell by the pinky wear mark between the pickups .

That's some nice flame figuring in the maple body. FYI, The bridge is a Saddle-Lock Hardtail (as opposed to a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato).
Thx for the pics!

elwood

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:14 am

Elwood wrote:
MissBliss wrote:

That is good description of what I imagine most of us experienced when playing a leo-era G&L for the first time :happy0065:

The first character in the serial is a G (the crinkle coat can fill in the details sometimes).

A beauty for sure, someone loved that guitar...you can tell by the pinky wear mark between the pickups .

That's some nice flame figuring in the maple body. FYI, The bridge is a Saddle-Lock Hardtail (as opposed to a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato).
Thx for the pics!

elwood

Yes, the serial number would be G014098.

The body finish looks to be 3-Tone Sunburst on a Maple first style body. These body style (Mustang shape) SC-2's were built in 1982-83.
Both the bridge type and body finish are some what rare for this model.

See this in our Gallery: Album: 198? SC-1, SC-2, SC-3 Ad Slick.
The back page provides the specifications.

Also, see Greg Gagliano's G&L webpage and look at the various links for the SC-2.

When you get a chance, please do add it to our G&L Registry.

What a beauty! :thumbup:

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm in helping me! I really appreciate the time you all took in doing so.
My Papaw passed away about 8 years ago, and all of my memories of him contain a guitar. He also left me with his acoustic guitar, which I will keep and treasure forever as it brings back the fondest memories of him and truly represents his spirit.

How would I clean this guitar? It really needs a good scrubbing, but I imagine that my choice of saying "scrubbing" would eliminate me from ever being allowed to come near the thing with cleaning supplies. I'm afraid I'd ruin it! Would it be best for me to take it to someone to be rejuvenated? I would assume it probably needs taken apart and gently cared for. Also, I decided that if I kept this guitar, I wouldn't have it restored because I think the wear gives it character.. but as there are a few nicks, would that be something I'd want to have fixed before selling it? I really think I'll let it go because I know that someone out there would keep it from collecting dust. I've shared in some of the stories of this piece's life, but I know that this guitar has many more tales to tell.

I've been doing some of my own research to determine just how rare this particular SC-2 is, and haven't found more than you all have told me. I'm especially curious about how to determine the amount of these made. I'm assuming I have an earlier version, so would that be something for me to consider in the asking price for it? You are all certainly much more experienced than I am, so I'm very thankful for everyone here.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

No scrubbing allowed! :mad0025:

If it was mine: first off, there is plenty of time to sell so I would take my time to decide what I wanted to do. In the meantime, I wouldn't make any repairs to the wood or finish. Get an unused paint brush, dust off all the nooks and crannies, buy some guitar polish and give it a gentle cleaning. Put some new strings on and admire it for all its soul and mojo that your Papaw gave it. :alright:

If for some reason you find that it is not playing properly, then you can take it apart for repairs but if it is playing OK, I wouldn't mess with it, or let anyone that doesn't know what they are doing mess with it. :BangBang: It is a gem! :thumbup:

There are a lot of G&L lovers on this forum to help guide you with the best advice and my guess is, if and when you are ready to sell, you can probably find a buyer here that will cherish it as it should be. Good luck!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Welcome MissBliss !! ... another Ohio'n here ... I'm just north of Kings Island about 12 miles and have a daughter at UC .... we have a awsome G&L dealer in Centerville Ohio called Centerville Music , if it needs a tune up or any fret work they are the place to take it , not too far of a drive , it's like driving to Dayton mall ... please let us know when your ready to sell it :thumbup:

Eric

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:52 pm

MissBliss, what a beauty you have there!! A lot of good advice has been given already in previous posts. And for the history, you certainly should check out GGJaguar's website as suggested by Craig, or even my own page on G&L's 80s entry level (aka student) models.

Have fun with that beauty!

- Jos

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 am

If anyone is interested in checking it out, this guitar has been rejuvenated and is currently listed in the marketplace. Willing to consider all offers! :mrgreen: