new to this forum

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 pm

hello all, I'm a veteran guitarist, play in a classic rock band, use a variety of guitars, have been using a deluxe player's strat for 8 years, took an interest in G&L via my brother has G&L bass, and I listen to umphrey's McGee/jake cinninger (uses s-500) alot.
recently picked up a tribute legacy just to experience it and contrast with the strat. I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the TL, particularly the bridge/tailpiece/vibrato, the master tone controls, excellent quality wood and finish, good looks.
I do have a static problem with the pickguard but have already learned from this forum how to fix that. I look forward to participation. John O

Re: new to this forum

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Welcome to the site John .... I have two that I need to do the metal tape on the pick guard myself

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Welcome, John! :wave:

In case you have not seen this post in the Announcements Section, it should help you navigate and post photos, videos and audio on the G&LDP: Welcome! Read This First.
Looking forward to seeing your Tribute Legacy and don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Welcome to the forum John. Nice to have you here. :greet:

G&L registry

Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

when i put in my email address and password with serial number, the registry page says there is an error, that my email address or password are not correct, but they are?? john o

Re: G&L registry

Tue May 20, 2014 7:55 pm

drjho7 wrote:when i put in my email address and password with serial number, the registry page says there is an error, that my email address or password are not correct, but they are?? john o

See this post in the Announcements: Welcome! Read This First.
You need to use your GbL login for the G&L Registry, not your G&LDP (aka G&L Forum) login.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed May 21, 2014 10:02 am

ok, got it. thx Craig. john o

Tue May 27, 2014 8:54 am

I'm not around much, but I'd like to say welcome to the forum and your introduction to G&L guitars. Congrats
Jimbo

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm

thx y'all for the hospitality!
i played 3 gigs last month to break in the trib legacy and had a great time with it.
it sounds and plays better than my strats so i sold them on craig's list.
one bar had alot of 60 hz interference and i had to use pos'n 2 and 4 exclusively.
i was totally unable to use my SG (p90's) due to the hum/interference. luckily the legacy delivered on some of the
gritty stuff, even boc's godzilla, via my marshall.
i think the legacy needs nut lube, re: tuning. i have not used this before, anybody have recommendations??
i think i'll be in the market for a usa made comanche some time soon.
looks like there are plenty of good examples available on the bay.
problem is, with 2 in college, may have to get on santa's good side :rolleyes:
john o

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey John,

Welcome and great to hear about yer trib Legacy, post clips of your band if possible.

You would love a Comanche. :elguitar054:

One nut juice suggestion is Big Bends Nut Sauce, but there are others you may find.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 pm

drjho7 wrote:...i was totally unable to use my SG (p90's) due to the hum/interference......i think i'll be in the market for a usa made comanche some time soon.....

So the middle position didn't cancel the hum on the SG like positions 2 & 4 on the Legacy?

There is a gorgeous USA Comanche for sale currently in the forum test market.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 am

I looked around a bit re: nut lube. People literally use everything and anything.
Popular are graphite, pencil lead, and vaseline(!)
Nutsauce is expensive, 24.95.
Some recommend a radio shack lube with fine tip for more precise application, sounds less messy. I am going to try this.

Yeah, I saw that comanche, it's a looker.
I kinda favor the ruby red one with the black guard and maple board. Sweet!
I have been reading various reviews of the Z-MFD pups. They get mixed reviews.
Sounds like you have to work with them a bit to find your sound. I am interested.

My SG has a gibson p90 at the neck and a lollar 5% overwound p90 at the bridge. They definitely did not cancel the hum in the middle selector position at that bar we played. I had to park it for the night. Most of the time I have no problem with it in other settings, but it doesn't like fluorescent shop lights.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Welcome to the board John! I am a Z-coil fan, I have a WR and a Comanche (in the works). Boogie Bill has put together an authoritative post on how to get the most of the versatile instrument that is a Z-coil. Here is the post, well worth the read: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1329