belated intro

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Everyone,

Doing this backwards. I have played bass for about 33 years now, and maybe 15 years ago I branched out into synths, electronics and computers. I have always loved rock (indy-rock, post-rock, post-metal--my tastes were shaped in the 1980s and 1990s), though, and finally decided to take the plunge into guitar.

G&L content. The nice people on this board helped me decide upon, and land a Fallout Tribute (sonic blue/maple). My first G&L experience was trying an L2500 in 1995 or thereabouts. I should have bought it--but instead bought a custom 5-er that I never gelled with. The sound stayed in my head and for years, when I'd try out an amp or pedal, I'd use a G&L if there was one in the store. In 2010 my wife came with me, I was messing with an amp, and she said, "wait, you can get a G&L bass for only $400?" And so I brought home a Tribute l2000, which I loved. Except for the neck. I really prefer a 1.5" (jazz style) nut. So when I saw a used USA l2000 (kind of a gold sparkle they don't do anymore) with the thinner neck and a coil tap for sale online, I took the chance and sold the tribute. The G&L sounds exactly like "rock bass in my mind" and distorts really well through an amp.

My other basses are a Modulus Bassstar, 1979 Fender Precision Fretless (maple board, black body), and Martin BC-15e acoustic. And now, I have a guitar.

Any tips on learning the instrument or practice would be appreciated. I'm a fingers player so this pick thing is kind of weird. I already have a bunch of chord forms (the usual open ones, barre chords, etc) and of course have all the music theory. So it's mostly getting my hands to do what my mind wants them to. I I have been practicing unplugged, switching from G to C, etcetera, just to try and get the positions in my hands. Once I plug in I start making up progressions and stuff, so that's a good sign. I will probably do that old thing of learning some of my favourite bands' songs just to figure out what they're doing. But any wisdom on making the switch (not that I'm giving up bass!) would be appreciated.

Best,
--JES

Re: belated intro

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:49 am

Hey Jes :wave:

Last year I bought an L2000 I gel with to no end :thumbup:
Amazing how Leo and company got it sooo right .

I have a Bassstar fretless , it's a black cherry sparkle finish, a little blown out in the sunlight -

Those older modulus necks are rock solid.

as far as guitar advice, having a sweet set-up so you can play relaxed . Try a few different kinds of strings if you don't have 'under the finger' experience with them. I used to play with a death grip sorta style , until my hand froze up during a gig...since retraining myself to play lightly ...everything has got better (tone too!) :banana:

whereabouts are you located (just being curious)

elwood

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:58 am

JES,

That's pretty close to my own story - playing bass since the early '80s, similar musical tastes, getting into synths, and using guitars mostly to work out harmonies with a bit of very basic lead playing. I'm big into the Leo era instruments, especially the basses and student model guitars. I'm constantly rotating through my "go-to" instruments, but for the past couple of months I've kept the blue SC-3 in my avatar and an SC-1 within arm's reach, along with an '96 SB-1 and a '91 ASAT Bass. I have a couple of non-G&L basses that show up occasionally in my Lunch Reports and random threads. I don't have any Tribbies, although I did play an L-2000 in a store that I liked very much.

About 99.9% of my bass playing is with my fingers, but I find it difficult to play guitar fingerstyle. I'm sure I'll get better with time, if I practice consistently. As far as practice goes, the biggest breakthrough I've ever had on guitar was sitting down with an old (1950's vintage) method book called "Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar, Book 1". It completely skips over theory, and focuses on ear training and building muscle memory (although Mr. Baker didn't use those terms) for Freddy Green style jazz comping. IME, it builds a great foundation for any rhythm guitar styles that aren't limited to strumming open chords or plowing through power chords. Playing along with anything and everything you enjoy listening to is also good.

You mentioned synths and electronics. What do you do along those lines?

Ken

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 am

JES wrote:....Any tips on learning the instrument or practice would be appreciated. I'm a fingers player so this pick thing is kind of weird. I already have a bunch of chord forms (the usual open ones, barre chords, etc) and of course have all the music theory. So it's mostly getting my hands to do what my mind wants them to. I I have been practicing unplugged, switching from G to C, etcetera, just to try and get the positions in my hands. Once I plug in I start making up progressions and stuff, so that's a good sign. I will probably do that old thing of learning some of my favourite bands' songs just to figure out what they're doing. But any wisdom on making the switch (not that I'm giving up bass!) would be appreciated.

I think you should take advantage of that finger familiarity and don't bother with picks, for now at least. Using just the fingers in various ways including like a pick allows you to produce very expressive nuances. People often start out with a pick then have to learn / unlearn a bit to use the other fingers and go without the pick. You can get all of the sharp clear snap of a plectrum with a fingernail when you want it. Of course you can use both at the same time also. I could point you to a few youtube videos for tips if interested. One of the things that helps advance you is practicing musically as opposed to mechanically. The attention turned to producing melody on beat has you working on things while you don't realize it. You grow and are enjoying things sooner which in itself feeds and replenishing the process. (I apologize for sounding like I am addressing a complete beginner. I know you play bass and keys. I mean all of this specifically on the point of playing guitar using only your fingers.)

And seems how this was a backwards Intro after you had already interacted here "Welcome" :)

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Jes, welcome! I went at this the other way going from guitar to bass player when I was 21. I still gig as primarily a bass player. I use my thumb and first finger and use fingers to mute the strings when needed. Someone watching me asked how I knew what finger or when to use the thumb. I had to tell them I have never thought about it. I just do it!. -- Darwin

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome Jes! I don't have any advice as I'm not that great of a guitar player myself. :happy0007:

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

JES wrote:Hi Everyone,

Doing this backwards. I have played bass for about 33 years now, and maybe 15 years ago I branched out into synths, electronics and computers. I have always loved rock (indy-rock, post-rock, post-metal--my tastes were shaped in the 1980s and 1990s), though, and finally decided to take the plunge into guitar.

G&L content. The nice people on this board helped me decide upon, and land a Fallout Tribute (sonic blue/maple). My first G&L experience was trying an L2500 in 1995 or thereabouts. I should have bought it--but instead bought a custom 5-er that I never gelled with. The sound stayed in my head and for years, when I'd try out an amp or pedal, I'd use a G&L if there was one in the store. In 2010 my wife came with me, I was messing with an amp, and she said, "wait, you can get a G&L bass for only $400?" And so I brought home a Tribute l2000, which I loved. Except for the neck. I really prefer a 1.5" (jazz style) nut. So when I saw a used USA l2000 (kind of a gold sparkle they don't do anymore) with the thinner neck and a coil tap for sale online, I took the chance and sold the tribute. The G&L sounds exactly like "rock bass in my mind" and distorts really well through an amp.

My other basses are a Modulus Bassstar, 1979 Fender Precision Fretless (maple board, black body), and Martin BC-15e acoustic. And now, I have a guitar.

Any tips on learning the instrument or practice would be appreciated. I'm a fingers player so this pick thing is kind of weird. I already have a bunch of chord forms (the usual open ones, barre chords, etc) and of course have all the music theory. So it's mostly getting my hands to do what my mind wants them to. I I have been practicing unplugged, switching from G to C, etcetera, just to try and get the positions in my hands. Once I plug in I start making up progressions and stuff, so that's a good sign. I will probably do that old thing of learning some of my favourite bands' songs just to figure out what they're doing. But any wisdom on making the switch (not that I'm giving up bass!) would be appreciated.

Best,
--JES

Welcome! :wave:

We all would love to see your Tribute Fallout and the Tribute L-2000. :searching: For posting photos, see this post in the Announcements Section: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Wow, what a great welcome! And I really appreciate the advice and encouragement.

I'm in Cambridge Mass for a couple more months (then I return to Montreal, where I normally live). I have booked my first guitar lesson next week. There's a very well-regarded local teacher and I figure I should take advantage. I also ordered the Mickey Baker book, which looks right up my alley as well. I also ordered a black mono betty strap and a mono vertigo guitar case for it; the mono bass case has me ignoring all my hard cases. A little pricey but I figure it'll take care of the guitar.

No apologies needed, Salmon, for offering advice when I asked for some. Please do point me to any YouTube videos you think would be good for me.

On synths: I have a bit of a collection, but mostly I compose/create inside the computer with Ableton Live and a bunch of plugins. My favourite synths are granular synths like DensityM4L though I have some treasured Reaktor Ensembles and am more than happy to use Ableton's built in instruments (or Native Instruments synths) when they sound right.. I have been working on a live set using an Elektron Octatrack for the performance, because it has a lot more control over the sound (in some ways) than Live and is great for messing stuff up and returning "home" to the sounds. I dream of a live set for Octatrack and bass or guitar but have found it a little wonky in practice. I also have 3 analog synths: a moog theremin (I know, I got a good deal), a Grendel Drone Commander (my favourite, and a big hit at parties for non-musicians) and an Electron Analog Four, which I haven't gotten as far with as the OT, but I have been focusing on the OT.

I did an EP of "ambient music for impatient people" that came out last fall: http://buddhacurtain.bandcamp.com .

In the last century, I played various versions of indyrock in the 80s and 90s. In this century, I've also dabbled in 2-bass post-rock, and a 2-person electronica band and a little sound art. And right now in Montreal I'm in a country band (funny, I don't like country, but my friend is a great songwriter and fun to play with), and here I've been jamming with a keyboardist (also a killer soprano singer) and drummer trying to make some weird heavy metal without guitar.

On G&Ls: Just to be clear, I sold the Tribute L2000. I now have a USA L2000, with the 1.5" neck and coil tap option on the pickups, which I love. It's got sort of a greenish/gold sparkle finish. Through an overdriven amp, the bass has the sound of rawk. I will work on getting pictures up, though I'm a lousy photographer.

Anyway, I appreciate the relatively small and supportive community here, and will stop in regularly.

In the meantime, here's my bassstar:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I just gave your EP a quick listen-through, but I will go back later and listen again at leisure. Is the bass on Bizz and Tar your G&L?

I never got a feel for Ableton. I tried Live Intro 8, but my computer did not get along with it and I got frustrated. Fruity Loops seemed to work well enough for my level of ability. These days I keep my playing 100% analog, so I would just need software for recording and looping external audio. Speaking of analog, I could get very gassy for one of those Drone Commanders. The description abd viseo on Analogue Haven make me think of a Sleep Drone run through a couple of Moogerfoogers.

Ken

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm

KenC wrote:I just gave your EP a quick listen-through, but I will go back later and listen again at leisure. Is the bass on Bizz and Tar your G&L?

I never got a feel for Ableton. I tried Live Intro 8, but my computer did not get along with it and I got frustrated. Fruity Loops seemed to work well enough for my level of ability. These days I keep my playing 100% analog, so I would just need software for recording and looping external audio. Speaking of analog, I could get very gassy for one of those Drone Commanders. The description abd viseo on Analogue Haven make me think of a Sleep Drone run through a couple of Moogerfoogers.

Ken

Nope, the Modulus, P pickup only, tuned C-G-C-C, through an overdrive pedal (probably my early Fulltone Bassdrive before it died, as that was "my" sound--these days I use a Red Dragon). The graphite neck is better for radical down tuning. But I can get a similar but woodier sound with the L2000 neck pickup, preamp on.

The drone commander is, IMO, the best sounding of the bunch of drone synths (of course, that's of the ones I've heard, I'm sure there's some insane modular alternative). Some of the others have more features, but the DC sounds good on most settings, is very flexible as long as you understand it does one thing, and is a TON of fun through an analog delay. Or really any delay. Also Eric Archer, the guy who makes them, is quite brilliant and I am happy to support him. And it looks cool and is fun to touch. I have gotten friends who normally wouldn't play with music gear at all totally hooked on it by setting it up in the back room at parties with a couple lines of instructions taped to the desk.

--JES