Potential G&L Owner Here...

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:13 am

Hi everyone,

My Name is Butch Snyder. I live in Lebanon, OH. It's 1/2-way between Cincinnati and Dayton. I don't own any G&L gear; but am seriously considering an ASAT Classic. I have played Fenders mostly; especially Telecasters. I have been told by some that the G&L is Leo's perfection. I have an EBMM guitar I am thinking of selling or trading in order to finance an ASAT Classic. So, I will be viewing this forum and askding some questions. See y'all 'round....

Re: Potential G&L Owner Here...

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey Butch, welcome aboard!

I think the general consensus around here is that the G&L's are the "better moustrap"
George Fullerton and Leo Fender went back to the drawing board and made the original designs even better.
I think you'd truly dig an Asat!

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey Butch, welcome aboard!

I think the general consensus around here is that the G&L's are the "better moustrap"
George Fullerton and Leo Fender went back to the drawing board and made the original designs even better.
I think you'd truly dig an Asat!

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Welcome, Butch. Shoot on up to Centerville Music and see what they have on the wall. They usually have a few G&L's hanging around.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, Ches, I have been to Centerville Music many many times. I'll hit that place again though. The last time I was there, all they had were Tributes.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm

The first Tribute I ever found was at Centerville. They plugged me into a Carr Rambler. I was impressed with the Tribute, but I left the store wanting that amp!

Hopefully they'll get some USA models in. I'm not sure who else carries them down your way.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:28 am

I haven't been to that store in probably 5 years. Absolute Music, in Fairborn, used to be a big G&L dealer. They have since got Fender so they don't carry G&L anymore - pity....

That seems to be the way of the smaller dealers. They carry G&L because the "can't get Fender for some reason. Then, when they finally get the Fender dealership, they drop G&L. I remember working for a music store while I was in college. I was in Tennessee. They were a huge G&L dealer and could not get Fender. I guy comes in wanting a 62RI Strat. I give him a George Fullerton model. He said the 62RI is clearly no comparison to the GF but it wasn't a Fender.... Too bad for him.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am

Hi and welcome:

When you're looking, don't overlook the ASAT Special models. The big MFD pickups are a treat, and in my opinion the saddle lock bridge is one of the great designs.

George J

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Butch, welcome to this group. Potential G&L owner is great. It means you are looking. I have several different brands including EBMM which I would not sell but having said that I was a Fender guy for years. I traded for my first G&L less than 2 years ago. I traded an American Tele for a Legacy. The Legacy blew my socks off when I first looked it over. I have many Fenders including a Custom Shop Clapton Strat, which is a great guitar. The G&Ls have beautiful woods for the bodies, the necks on many of their standard Americans have Flamed or Birds eye woods. The bottom line is that the standard American G&L will surpass any American Fender and a lot of their Custom Shop models. The pickups will do everything a Fender will do and more. The quality and fit is unsurpassable. In the last year and a half, I have added 10 G&Ls to my collection. Before selling the EBMM I would check the Marketplace Ads on this site as there are usually some good listings. I have one Tribute and it it top quality for the money. There are a lot of options and keep looking, and asking questions. ---Darwin :D

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Welcome, I've only had G&L for a couple years myself and my three strats and tele don't get much action with my Asat special near.. I do still love my EJ strat but other
than that one each G&L I own is more "special" than any newer fender I've played. Not to say that I totally dig every G&L I've played but usually I've found that's just neck options
and my personal tendencies to soft V's and thinner C's..

Shorter wording.... You'll Dig a G&L..

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey Butch. I agree with the member who suggested the ASAT Special. The "Big MFDs" really are uniquely wonderful. The Special was my "gateway drug" into the compelling universe of G&L guitars. Also, I'd urge you to check out the Bluesboy model of you get the chance. That's one extremely versatile guitar! Anyhow, welcome! - ed

BTW, I went to collage in your neck of the woods at Miami University. Great place! There used to be an old joke there, asking another dude whether he was Dayton a girl from Eaton or Eaton a girl from Dayton - something like that. lol.....

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 pm

zapcosongs wrote: There used to be an old joke there, asking another dude whether he was Dayton a girl from Eaton or Eaton a girl from Dayton - something like that. lol.....

:mad0025: :happy0007:

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 pm

:mad0025: :happy0007:[/quote]

Bastid! ;+) - ed

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey guys,

Well, I've decided NOT to get rid of the EBMM. It's just too nice. If anything goes, it would be the Fender. It's a 60th Ann. that I have nevr bonded with. I am also thing about an ASAT Classic Custom as well as a Classic.