hello everyone... g&L question

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:45 am

hello everyone my name is dale pierce, i live in houston. i'm really interested in purchasing my first G&L. wondering if i could ask a few questions? up until a week ago i was planning on getting one of the new Fender American Special Strats. it fits me perfectly, the balance, the neck, jumbo frets, texas special pickups etc. i have played everything, everything... and the american special is the one that feels and plays the best for me. my budget is around $1300- $1500. the american special is around $800.00. but then i thought, i really need to check out leo's last incarnation. surely it has improvements and differences that might work for me. the only thing that i don't need with the american special is the tremelo. i would prefer a hardtail. so...here are my questions.

1. does G&L make a Legacy hardtail
2. what is the approximate weight of the Legacy
3 is there a preferred dealer in the houston area that might have a legacy on the floor so i can go play it
4. i noticed there are a few legacy's listed for around $500 at Dale's guitar shop in houston. are these scaled down versions? i presume the legacy to be around $1200. any help and additional guidance you can give me would be really appreciated. i would love to be a proud owner of a guitarbyleo. but i also have to go with what feels the best and that american special sure feels good right now. thanks......dale from houston

Re: hello everyone... g&L question

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 am

dale pierce wrote:hello everyone my name is dale pierce, i live in houston. i'm really interested in purchasing my first G&L. wondering if i could ask a few questions? up until a week ago i was planning on getting one of the new Fender American Special Strats. it fits me perfectly, the balance, the neck, jumbo frets, texas special pickups etc. i have played everything, everything... and the american special is the one that feels and plays the best for me. my budget is around $1300- $1500. the american special is around $800.00. but then i thought, i really need to check out leo's last incarnation. surely it has improvements and differences that might work for me. the only thing that i don't need with the american special is the tremelo. i would prefer a hardtail. so...here are my questions.

3 is there a preferred dealer in the houston area that might have a legacy on the floor so i can go play it
4. i noticed there are a few legacy's listed for around $500 at Dale's guitar shop in houston. are these scaled down versions? i presume the legacy to be around $1200. any help and additional guidance you can give me would be really appreciated. i would love to be a proud owner of a guitarbyleo. but i also have to go with what feels the best and that american special sure feels good right now. thanks......dale from houston

Welcome Dale -

1. G&L does make a hardtail, but they can be hard to find.
2. Legacy weights can be all over the map. I've owned them from 7-1/2 lbs to 9 lbs.
3. Don't know!
4. I would assume a $500 Legacy is a Tribute series - imported from Asia.

The necks on G&L's don't really feel like a Fender to me. Fender typically has a 1-11/16 nut width and a 9-1/2" radius fretboard. Legacy's typically have a 1-5/8" nut and a 12" radius fretboard, although they are available with other nut widths and fretboard radii.

Re: hello everyone... g&L question

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:46 am

dale pierce wrote:hello everyone my name is dale pierce, i live in houston. i'm really interested in purchasing my first G&L. wondering if i could ask a few questions? up until a week ago i was planning on getting one of the new Fender American Special Strats. it fits me perfectly, the balance, the neck, jumbo frets, texas special pickups etc. i have played everything, everything... and the american special is the one that feels and plays the best for me. my budget is around $1300- $1500. the american special is around $800.00. but then i thought, i really need to check out leo's last incarnation. surely it has improvements and differences that might work for me. the only thing that i don't need with the american special is the tremelo. i would prefer a hardtail. so...here are my questions.

Welcome!

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Yes, you can order the Saddle-Lock bridge as an option for the Legacy.
Finding one off the shelf can be difficult, though.
2. Weight can vary with the type of wood or even within the same type.
If you order a G&L instrument, you can ask the dealer to specify a lighter or heavier weight body.
The G&L factory will try and meet your needs.
3. There are a number of dealers in Texas listed on the G&L main website. Check on glguitars.com in the US Dealers section.
4. You likely saw a listing for a Tribute series model, which is built in Indonesia. The Tribute Legacy uses the same pickups and bridge (DF Trem only) as
the USA model. The neck radius is 9". The hardtail option is not available on the Tribute series, though. For the USA models, you have a number of neck
size options. Here is a link to the G&L USA Guitar Options page.
I would also suggest you try the other S-bodied models, too. There's the S-500, the Comanche, and the Legacy Special, each having a different set of pickups.

Best of luck in your search for your next guitar. Let us know what you end up with.

Hope this helps.