Hi, I'm WitSok and I'm...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:16 am

Hi, I'm WitSok (okay I'm actually Dan). Sorry this is not my first post here, but I am relatively new member. Ever since I was 4 years old, I have had a fascinations with guitars. When I was senior in high school I bought a used LP import copy (I don't even recall the brand). However, I never learned to play. About 7 years ago I decided it was time to clear some clutter, so I donated my guitar and amp to Goodwill. I figured I had it for 20 years and hadn't done anything with it, that it was time to go! Well, then my daughter a year later (she was in 1st grade), decided she wanted to play guitar. So she got her first guitar and then she started taking lessons shortly after that. A friend of ours had an acoustic/electric that he wasn't using (kind of like me, just never learned to play) so he gave it to my daughter. It was too big for her at the time. So I started playing around with the acoustic, learning from my daughter and trying to follow along with her lesson material. The bug hit me again big time! About year after my daughter started her lessons, I too started lessons. It has been a blast!

So I have been playing for about four years now. Currently I play with two different praise bands on alternating weekends. That too has been a great experience. As people have come and gone, I have had to step up and challenge myself to do/play things outside of my comfort zone - and I believe that has help me improve quite a bit. Two years ago you would not catch me doing any lead or solo work. I still consider myself a hack, but a hack that is having fun.

So why WitSok? My other hobby is homebrewing. I have been brewing for over 21 years. WitSok was the name I gave to my Belgian style Witbier. It was the first beer I ever entered that placed in Best of Show (and it was a fairly large competition). It was awarded 3rd best of all the entries. I am also a huge Chicago White Sox fan. Wit is Dutch for white and sok is Socks. So WitSok ties these two interests together. Now, I wish I could play as good as other tell me I brew!

How did I come to know G&L guitars? I am fortunate to have two shops with a few miles of my home that carry G&L. I saw the G&L's in both stores and didn't really know much about them. To be honest, I wasn't really a Fender guy, I was more into LPs (that why the first guitar I mentioned above was LP copy). What struck me, was for some reason the G&L felt comfortable and very playable. The action was nice and low, most Fenders I had picked up seemed to have high action. There a few guitar players at work, so I was asking them about G&L and they gave me some background. Of the models, the ASAT Special is what intrigued me. So started looking around for a good deal. I ended up getting a ASAT Special Deluxe on eBay for quite a bit less than the ASAT Special I was looking at locally. I don't think the previous owner played it. I just recently got my GbL LE-2 - beautiful instrument! The G&L models that most interest me are ASATs, SC-2, and Fallouts. When I picked up my LE-2, I was talking with Bob, and I mentioned that I was thinking a semi-hollow ASAT Special with F100 MFD in the neck position was what I thought would make a cool guitar.

Musical favorites: Poi Dog Pondering, Rusted Root, The Pixies, The Replacement, The Jam, P.I.L., Social Distortion, The Pouges, The Waterboys, The Alarm, Lyle Lovett, Dave Alvin, Paul Kelly, Lou Reed, Black Keys, okay the list is too long...

Re: Hi, I'm WitSok and I'm...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Welcome, and congrats on the LE-2!

Ken

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 pm

cool !! ..... I been taken lesson for a little more than a year now , I had taken lessons in the late 60's early 70's but didn't stay with it ..... I sure wish I wouldn't have waisted away about a 20 year period there in the 70's and 80's , plus I didn't realize my teacher sucked and that I could go get a different one ...lol ... the internet has made it easier this time around too , so easy to find songs and such , now I can't hardly put the darned thing (guitar) down

Eric

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 am

I enjoyed reading your introduction WitSok, welcome to the forum and enjoy your G&Ls! :sign0011: