new to the forum, old to other things

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 am

hello everyone, i'm 37, play bass primarily, but began my life as a guitarist. i have owned possibly a hundred guitars and basses, currently 66% of my now small collection of basses are g&l. i own an l1505, and an sb2, and some other thing. i had a comanche for a while, gave it up for bass. i play through aguilar gear, but not pickups; MFD has what bass players crave.

Re: new to the forum, old to other things

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:15 am

Hi Craig, welcome.
I'm also a guitarist who usually finds gigs as a low-ender.

craigstewart wrote: MFD has what bass players crave.

G&L should use that it in ad . A timeless fact.

elwood

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Hey Craig!

If there were not so many variations of the Alnico designed to appeal to tone connoisseurs I think the MFD would be recognized as being one of the greatest contributions Leo Fender made to the world of music.

I love the tone as it is but wonder whether the MFD could be tweaked for tone like an Alnico thus rendering a number of tone options.

The MFD is so responsive to nuance, clear and has a powerful range from gentle to crocodile jaw snappy........all that and quieter than an Alnico.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:35 pm

i loved the z-coils on a comanche i had while pretending to be a guitarist, but it was a long time before i bought a g&l bass. the 1505 i traded for came with flatwounds, and i could not understand how they sounded so bright and lively. don't get me wrong, i love the sound and feel of flats, and there's plenty better out there for "better" clarity, but the MFD humbucker + preamp eq boost really brought them back for me. i'd given up on them as being to dark and muted; perfect for that gibson sound that is almost useless, haha. i've got them on my sb2 now also, and i think i've found my sound. go MFD. go me.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:21 am

Craig, as a bass player myself, I had given up on flatwounds because they were dark and dull. Recently I received a set of Thomastik-Infeld strings from a fellow forum member. They are flatwound and I installed them on my Asat bass and they are awesome so it may be a combination of the strings and the MFD's. I will put them on my new M-2500 at some point.-- Darwin

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 am

Craig,

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a bass player who dabbles in guitar, and a big fan of flats with MFDs. Putting a set of Chromes on my L-1500 changed it from a very nice bass to an incredible bass. Most of my G&Ls are wearing flats at this point.

Ken

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:31 pm

hey, glad i'm not the only one out there who made the discovery. i hear audiophile types using the word "synergy" to describe how an amp interacts with speakers, we should come up with a special name for it on bass. i'd like to suggest "conbinatronification", or "cbt". or if that's too jargon-like, how about "bwang?!"