Greetings--Glad I got here!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi,

My G&L F-100 just turned 30 last month, and it lives with me in Beavercreek, OR. I've been setting up a music room in my house as part of a New Year's resolution, and got out my guitars for the first time in too many years and tuned them up. I was wondering how many G&L's there might be visible on the web, so I started googling and ended up here. I just added a little album in the gallery with pictures (Patty Ryan) of my baby, G011228, a Series 2-E. He has one chip by the top strap hanger and some stains from the case lining and sitting in a rubber-padded guitar stand, but he still plays the same as when he was brand new. Sadly, I don't, but I'm working now to get my calluses back!

My first electric was, as I was told, a "Korean copy of a Japanese imitation" Les Paul, but after a year or so the neck twisted far enough for one of the strings to start playing on its own. I was living in Santa Barbara at the time and drove down to LA to look for something better. The sales guy handed me this shiny white G&L while I was sitting down, and plugged it into a big twin amp with a chorus effect, and the first strum lit me up on the inside like nobody's business. I couldn't believe--and I still don't--how perfectly the neck sits in my hand, how easy it is to play, and how great it sounds. I wish I still had that amp, now. But at least I have the guitar.

The other thing I can't believe is how much it weighs--I'm really feeling that now that I'm 30 years older. But oh well, I guess that's why it has the Endless Sustain.

So I'm very happy that I found this site and can join the group. I have a bottle of polish and some new strings coming soon from amazon, so if I can get the keys looking better I'll post a new photo.

Cheers to all,

Patty Ryan

Re: Greetings--Glad I got here!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 pm

welcome !! ... your better late than never to this party

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Welcome, Patty! :wave:

Glad we could get you logged in and thanks for adding your F-100 to the Registered User's Gallery. :thumbup:

In case you have not read this post: Welcome! Read This First,
it should help you navigate our website, including how to post photos on the G&LDP. ;)

:ugeek:

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Welcome to G&LDP, Patty! I have a pair of F-100s and never cease to be impressed by them.

Ken

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 am

Welcome Patty! It sounds like you have been away from your guitar for an extended time and have rediscovered it. I regret the time I missed for many years but getting back into it in 2000 was the best thing I've ever done and I hope that it is as rewarding for you. I have a modern F-100 and it is a sweet guitar. I will try to locate your F-100 in the gallery. Age does have an effect on us as I am now very sensitive to weight. A couple of extra pounds make a huge difference near the end of a gig for me. We are looking forward to hearing more of your experiences.-- Darwin

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 am

darwinohm wrote: I will try to locate your F-100 in the gallery.

Here's a link to make things easy:Patty's F-100ll-E

You don't see many in the white .:thumbup: Do you know the wood used for the body?

While the strings are off-
Some pure lemon oil will freshen the fingerboard wood (KenC likes walnut oil...that actually sounds better to me though I haven't tried it, the lemon is pretty strong smelling ) .
If the wood hasn't been oiled for a while it sometimes likes a few applications with some time between to soak in .
Then wipe away any excess really well so your new strings stay clean. The wood will love it and the grain will show nicely.

Have you read about the "toothbrush trick" for your string change? It'll make things easier if you place a little block of some non marring material under the backside of your bridge before taking the old strings off.
This will allow you to get back up to tension with the new strings without having to fight the system while getting there.
(I hope that makes sense-just put 'toothbrush' in the the search box for more/better info)

elwood

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 am

The condition is really nice. No rust after all those years. Great guitar! -- Darwin

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 am

great looking axe.....I'm digging that headstock, wow!