New Kid on the Block

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello all, I,m Ron from WV. I have owned a G&L sense Jan. of 1990, and just now found this site. A little on me, I have been playing for about 45 years and I'm still learning. I'm not what you call a Pro but I really enjoy playing and I do know what a good ax is. Through the years I have owned many top brand name guitars, Gibsons, Fenders, etc... I was playing lead in a club in Fairbanks AK in a country band when I first found out about G&L. I was playing a Gibson Les Paul Custom at the time and was satisfied with the exception of the weight. We were doing 6 hour gigs and at the end of the night I felt like someone climbed up on my sholder and sat there. Well, back to the G&L. There was a small music store in town that I dealt with and they had a nice Fender Tele that caught my eye. It was candy apple red and it played great. When I inquired about buying it, the owner said that it was sold so he recommended I try one of these new G&Ls that he just started handling. I picked up my first G&L ASAT and fell in love. I didn't like the color and asked if he could get one in with candy apple red. He said he would order one and call when it came in. I waited for what seemed forever and it was in fact more than 2 months. Finally one day he called and said it was in. When I got there I was a bit dissapointed, it was purple in color. I asked what the problem was with the color and he said that the company was backlogged and that one was supposed to be going to a quitar show and they got tired of him hounding them so they sent that one. Well I took my purple ASAT with rosewood fretboard and Mr. Leo's signiture on the head stalk. It was made in 1989 and I have only seen one other purple one and it had a maple fretboard. That was 24 years ago and it is still here with me. I gave my Les Paul to my Son. This G&L is far and away the best guitar I've owned and played. If anyone out there knows of other purple ASATs pre Leo, maybe you could fill me in. Thanks!

Re: New Kid on the Block

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Welcome Country Boy and great story. Someone here will tell you if they know of any other purple ones. BTW, Candy Apple Red is one of my favorites!.-- Darwin

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:19 am

Welcome to forum! I'd like to see some pictures of your purple Asat.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks Guys, I'll try to get a picture of the ol' girl on here, soon as I can figure out how to post.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:01 am

Country Boy wrote:Thanks Guys, I'll try to get a picture of the ol' girl on here, soon as I can figure out how to post.

Welcome! :wave:

See this post for details on our site, including posting photos, videos, and audio files: Welcome! Read This First.

Regarding Purple finish, it was a standard color and was listed in the 1988 Price List.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks Craig,
I wasn't aware that purple was a standard color. The only thing is, according to my S/N, my guitar was made in 1989, was this still a color choice then? And thank you for the links, It will help greatly! I will see if I can't get a pic on here soon.

Ron

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

Country Boy wrote:Thanks Craig,
I wasn't aware that purple was a standard color. The only thing is, according to my S/N, my guitar was made in 1989, was this still a color choice then? And thank you for the links, It will help greatly! I will see if I can't get a pic on here soon.

Ron

I'm not sure if it was available as a regular color in 1989 as I don't have a copy of the 1989 Price List. However, it did get dropped from
the 1990 Price List. Sparkle Purple did get added to the 1992 Price List and was last seen in the 1998 Catalog and Price List.

BTW, you cannot really go by the serial number for build date, see: Serial number significance for details.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm

The color choices for the Asat in the January 15, 1989 price list are: Black, Natural Ash, Blonde, Sunburst & Candy Apple Red

They still might have painted one purple in 1989 or it was a leftover from 1988.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome, Ron! :greet:

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks guys,
You've been a great help. According to my serial # G024568, my ASAT was most likely made in 1989. No matter, I love it and plan on keeping it as long as I'm on this Earth and then it will go to my son. I am going to have a chance to play it out next weekend, first time in many years for a full gig, can't wait. :D

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Welcome to G&LDP, Ron. If you post a photo of your ASAT's headstock, we can may be able to figure out when it was built from the string tree and decals.

Ken

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks Ken,
I am working on it, just gonna take a little time but I will get it on here.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:12 am

Got to play the ole girl out this weekend. Had it runnin' through a Fender Twin. Had a delay effects unit attached also. First full time gig I did sense around 2000. My G & L performed flawlessly and the more I played the better it sounded. There was a gentleman there that owns several Fenders, Tele's and Strats. He had never played a G&L so after the show I let him play mine for a little while. He couldn't believe how responsive it was and how hot the pickups were and how playable it was. He is now very interested in G&Ls. One thing on the side, all the years I've played this ASAT, once you get it tuned up, that's it, I very rarely have to retune. Quality through and through.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:22 am

It sounds like you had a great time with your Asat last night! I'm still anxious to see some pictures of it.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

Welcome from a new guy too! Have always had a soft spot for strats and when i started searching for one I came across my Asat Special. Have since ended my search and concentrating on getting the most out of this very versatile guitar. What a pleasure to play! I am amazed at how well it stays in tune also! See ya on the forum!