New Aussie member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi from Queensland, Australia.
I've been a hobby guitarist for many years and have only recently discoverd the G & L brand online. Im pretty excited about what I've seen and heard through YouTube vids and articles and the apparent quality of the Tribute range in particular.
Unfortunately for me in this huge country my nearest G & L dealer is in NSW - either a plane ride or a very long drive away. Which means I'm yet to actually hold one of these beauties in my hands. I'm actually poised to order either a Tribute Legacy or S-500 without ever actually playing one! Is this ridiculous? The shop owner has reinforced the excellent reviews I've read and reckons I should just 'jump in'. I guess the choice between the Legacy and S-500 is holding me back as well.

Any opinions or advice welcome and, hopefully, I'll eventually post a picture of my new Legacy.....S-500.........Legacy....... :shocked028:

Cheers

Re: New Aussie member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Welcome, Steve. The only Tribute I've ever had the chance to play was an L-2000, which felt and sounded great to me. FWIW, I have two dozen G&Ls currently, twenty of which were purchased (used) without having a chance to play them. The quality of G&Ls is much more consistent than you will find with most other brands. Even with 15-30 year old instruments, I've only come across problems with two out of more than two dozen (both with truss rod problems which were not disclosed by Guitar Center, so they went back to the store).

Is there anything specific that has you on the fence between the S-500 and Legacy? I'm not the best source of info on new G&Ls, but any details may help others to offer opinions. I did own a mid-90s Legacy very briefly. The tone was wonderfully shimmery, but unfortunately it was one with an undisclosed truss rod problem. My S-500 is from '82, so it is an entirely different guitar from the current version.

Ken

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Have you played S-style guitars? If you like the feel (in a broad sense) I would just order one in blind faith. You could always sell it. I'd get the S500 over the Legacy.

Subjective opinion=> I think there is enough Strat in the S500 plus it does so much more. I particularly like how the in between positions are just quacky enough yet they are a lot more like the straight neck and middle pick ups than a typical Strat-like guitar except without any hum. There is enough difference in tone in each switch position to be satisfied. The MFD's are quieter than Alnicos as well so you essentially have a relatively hum-quiet Strat with a much wider range of tone. Bear in mind that I find many Strat-like tones to be rather wimpy. Yet the S500 seems to present the essence of a Strat expressed in a range of tones that are strong, sharp, clear.... <=Subjective opinion.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for your welcome and advice. I have played an S style before but never owned one - always wanted too. I'm probably leaning toward the S-500 for versatility but still want to retain some of the classic strat sound. The only guitars I can compare with are the Fenders (including Mex strats) at my local music store. Thanks again for your reassuring advice.