Hi I'm new here.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

Hi everyone.. My name is Steve I live in the north east of England.
I've been playing guitar on and off for around 20 years..
I've just swapped my 3 year old Gretsch 5120 for a G&L asat special tribute tele.. You might think I'm mad for doing that but believe me I know I got the better deal, because this asat special is streets ahead of that Gretsch I had in both playability ( i think that's a word) and sound.
I first heard about the G&L series from a mate, he raved about how good they were and now I know why.. I just can't put mine down I love it that much.
Anyways it's a pleasure to find a forum dedicated to these gorgeous guitars I look forward to looking around here and reading all about them, cheers.

Re: Hi I'm new here.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:26 am

Stevie P wrote:Hi everyone.. My name is Steve I live in the north east of England.
I've just swapped my 3 year old Gretsch 5120 for a G&L asat special tribute tele.. You might think I'm mad for doing that but believe me I know I got the better deal, because this asat special is streets ahead of that Gretsch I had in both playability ( i think that's a word) and sound.
I first heard about the G&L series from a mate, he raved about how good they were and now I know why.. I just can't put mine down I love it that much.
Anyways it's a pleasure to find a forum dedicated to these gorgeous guitars I look forward to looking around here and reading all about them, cheers.

Welcome, Steve! :wave:

Please see the Welcome! Read This First post, as it will provide
information about our site, including a Tutorial on posting photos. ;)
Looking forward to seeing your Tribute ASAT Special. :searching:
And, it probably will not be your last G&L. :lol:

It's good to have you here. :thumbup:

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:42 am

Stevie P wrote:Hi everyone.. My name is Steve I live in the north east of England.

Welcome Stevie... I just grabbed a Legacy Tribute but changed some stuff out, maybe look at some new tuners and maybe pupgrading the electronics a bit... should be a great player...

Mark!

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Good to have you here Stevie ,
We love pics BTW (hint hint) :)

Mark , I think you just invented a new word for changing out P'ups
MAP70 wrote: ... pupgrading ....
Mark!

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi Stevie,
I had a 5120 a few years ago. You made the right decision. You'll get a lot more mileage out of tha ASAt Special.

Welcome, mate!

Will

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Stevie,

I also have a Tribute ASAT Special to thank for my G&L addiction/affliction. What a great guitar. Those big MFD pickups rock. But be warned - it's a slippery slope leading to ownership of more G&L's. I have 4 now and would dearly love to sneak a Fallout into the line up.

Welcome to the party!

Phil.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Steve, welcome! The Tributes are an awesome value, especially used and I would be surprised if you have to upgrade anything. You biggest problem will be the urge to buy more of them and that could work to your advantage.-- Darwin

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the welcome messages folks.. much appreciated.
I'm still undecided about changing the machine heads, maybe something to keep on the back burner for now.. As is the guitar is amazing so why change what isn't broken?.. :D

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Welcome Stevie, from across the pond. I've had my share of vintage guitars, but never a Gretsch. I'm not sure I'd let it go, just because the name is so iconic. The few I've held have been sweet, although I understand you saying the G&L's are often more playable and have a wider range of sound. But in any case, I'm glad you love the G&L. So far, I've found good people, excellent advice, and a place that speaks Guitar...I think you'll like it here. I do. Enjoy.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Stevie P wrote:Thanks for all the welcome messages folks.. much appreciated.
I'm still undecided about changing the machine heads, maybe something to keep on the back burner for now.. As is the guitar is amazing so why change what isn't broken?.. :D

I think the stock tuners are ok, but some nice locking tuners always help the tuning stability... I use Hipshot's personally, decently priced and really good.. They are not a drop in replacement, you will have to drill holes but the upside is worth it..

Mark

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:28 pm

This is my asat special..I thought you guys might like to see it.. :D

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:06 pm

looks great !!

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:23 pm

That is a beautiful color combination.

My only experience with a Gretch was when a friend of a friend was selling one that I tried over a couple of days. Not that the guitar could represent the brand but that specific guitar was painful to play. Maybe razor blades instead of frets might have felt worse.......and if my wrist were broken as well. ;)

I have been playing my ASAT Special a lot lately.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks guys, and Salmon..I know what you mean about the Gretsch , mine was like that too. After 10 minutes of playing it my left hand was all pins and needles it was such an ordeal to play.
The asat is like a breath of fresh air, I swear it has improved my finger speed as well.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Just going on from my photo, where do I look on the forum to find out more info on my particular model?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Here you go.

Or click on this image:

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for the help Salmon, that page was very useful.. :clap:
I'd also like to know where I can date the year of manufacture of my guitar and is there any place in the U.K that has replacement parts, ie: pickguards,3 way switch plates etc. As mine are looking a bit scratched and worn. Any help is much appreciated.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 pm

look on the G&L On Line Store

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks FF..I checked that out, it's a bit limited as to what spares, accessories they offer but I'll keep checking back there from time to time. The online store also has a link for a pickguard website which I may well use to get a replacement..

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Steve,

Pickguard Heaven requires the original pickguard in order to make you a replacement on the Tribute models so expect to ship it to them and be without one for a while if you go this route.

You will find some parts on ebay as people dismantle the Tributes and sell the individual parts.

Here is a link to info on dating your guitar

Good luck

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Stevie P wrote:Thanks for the help Salmon, that page was very useful.. :clap:
I'd also like to know where I can date the year of manufacture of my guitar and is there any place in the U.K that has replacement parts, ie: pickguards,3 way switch plates etc. As mine are looking a bit scratched and worn. Any help is much appreciated.

Dating Tribute Series models is very easy, see this post: Re: How do I determine an instrument's age? (Tribute models).

Hope this helps.

Oh, and don't forget to add your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Craig wrote:
Stevie P wrote:Thanks for the help Salmon, that page was very useful.. :clap:

Dating Tribute Series models is very easy, see this post: Re: How do I determine an instrument's age? (Tribute models).

Hope this helps.

Oh, and don't forget to add your guitar to our G&L Registry.
Thanks Craig, that was a big help.. I've also registered my guitar...:)

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Welcome Stevie!

Special it is. From one ASAT lover to a new convert. As Will said you will get tons of mileage out of yer ASAT.

Keep coming around, there are some extremely knowledgable folks here, share more pics and your experience. :D