Trouble with Chrome and YouTube

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:33 am

Any Chrome browser users here?
As of yesterday, when I view any videos on YouTube while in the Chrome browser, the volume is muted by default. I have to adjust the volume on EVERY video I watch--even on Facebook.

I did a search online and this seems to have been a problem for over a year, although I cannot seem to find any recent postings--they all are from 2012 at the latest. My issue definitely started only yesterday. I see several posts claiming the fix is to delete or disable certain Flash plugins.

I'm not a complete moron with computers, but I know there are several members here who work in the tech industry that are more savvy than myself.

Anyone here having similar issues? If so, what is the real fix?
Since Google products such as Chrome and Gmail are free, they offer no support whatsoever for them.

I don't like Firefox and I hate to have to go back to IE. :evil: :evil:

Re: Trouble with Chrome and YouTube

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 am

suave eddie wrote:Any Chrome browser users here?
As of yesterday, when I view any videos on YouTube while in the Chrome browser, the volume is muted by default. I have to adjust the volume on EVERY video I watch--even on Facebook.

I did a search online and this seems to have been a problem for over a year, although I cannot seem to find any recent postings--they all are from 2012 at the latest. My issue definitely started only yesterday. I see several posts claiming the fix is to delete or disable certain Flash plugins.

I'm not a complete moron with computers, but I know there are several members here who work in the tech industry that are more savvy than myself.

Since Google products such as Chrome and Gmail are free, they offer no support whatsoever for them.

I don't like Firefox and I hate to have to go back to IE. :evil: :evil:

I use Chrome and have Version 29.0.1547.76 running on my Macbook Pro.
I just viewed this post and started the inline youtube video without the problem you mention.
Chrome does have support. Select the "About Google Chrome" link and use the get help button and/or report an issue button.

:ugeek:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm

suave eddie wrote:
. :evil: :evil:

I figured that one out,
You have to have your flash settings to be able to store about 10kb on your disc,
this is how it remembers your latest settings. I had set mine to zero to keep things clean, I adjusted mine to the min. setting 10 kb,
and it worked great.

Right click on a flash display > settings > local storage (middle icon) ...set slider to at least 10kb, see if that works...increase it a little if needed.

If your Flash player has been disabled, type thisinto your browser address window
"chrome://plugins/ " and click 'enable' on a flash player plugin, if there is moe than one, just choose the lastest version, you only need one running.

I bet that'll work.

elwood

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 pm

That's not it............I just checked and it was set to 100KB storage.

It has to be something to do with the latest Chrome Update, which according to my computer was on 9/20, although I did not seem to be having issues until yesterday. Happens on all YouTube videos, embedded or not. Happens on my wife's computer also.

We are both Windows users, so perhaps the issue is not present on Macs. I have the same version as Craig posted.

I will attempt to use the Chrome 'help' function. Several years ago, when I had a Gmail issue I was unable to contact Google directly, but had to resort to their help pages and online user forums.

Will see what happens next................

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Just an update.

When I started this thread I had the same version of Chrome that Craig listed. When I opened the Chrome Help tab, it updated again to Version 30.0.1599.69 m. Problem still exists.

I am now off to the Google groups to post my question there--I was correct that there is actually no direct support from Google for Chrome--you can submit feedback, but it tells you not to expect a reply--you are directed towards the user groups.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I use chrome all the time. Haven't been to youtube a lot, however it just started doing that yesterday.
Like you I have to unmute the audio.

* * * UPDATE * * *
Looks like we're not the only ones...........
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... 25-true%5D

Tim

That's great--I was unable to find any new posts regarding this issue--all I could find were old posts from last year with outdated info.

Thanks for the link

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I stopped using Firefox. Too buggy.

You need another internet browser.
Opera.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 pm

meowmix wrote:I stopped using Firefox. Too buggy.

Opera.

Nobody here mentioned Firefox--the issue is with Chrome.

UPDATE
I have subscribed to that google forum thread--Supposedly they are working on it--allegedly it is fixed in California.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm

I am a techie.

Google has enormous powers. If they want, they can block your site from showing up in any Chrome browser. The page will have some Malware warning. I speak from experience.
Always good to have a second browser. I suggest Opera. I.E. and FF are no bueno.
Opera takes all of 5 seconds to get used to, and you said Firefox in the OP.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:35 pm

meowmix wrote:I am a techie.

Google has enormous powers. If they want, they can block your site from showing up in any Chrome browser. The page will have some Malware warning. I speak from experience.
Always good to have a second browser. I suggest Opera. I.E. and FF are no bueno.
Opera takes all of 5 seconds to get used to, and you said Firefox in the OP.

What I meant was that if I did not like IE or Firefox and did not want to have to abandon Chrome for one of those options--or Opera either.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:34 pm

suave eddie wrote:
meowmix wrote:I stopped using Firefox. Too buggy.

Opera.

Nobody here mentioned Firefox--the issue is with Chrome.

Are you nobody?

From your original post:
suave eddie wrote:I don't like Firefox and I hate to have to go back to IE. :evil: :evil:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 am

Well as of today my problem still had not been resolved--I had been using IE strictly for YouTube.
I kept reading in the Google Forum https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 5-false%5D
advice to disable the Chrome Flash Plugin. I was hesitant to do this since I wasn't sure what else it may affect.
Well, I just tried it and it does seem (at least in my case) to be a fix for this problem.

If your're interested, type in chrome://plugins/ in your address bar, and click on the details option in upper right, and disable the
PepperFlash Plugin.
Many users on that forum have reported that their issues have been resolved without any action on their part, but no such luck for me.

EDIT:

I may have spoken too soon--some videos now will not play at all--message stating that Adobe Flash is required.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:34 am

The Solution: turn up the volume when you want to listen to the audio while playing a Youtube video. :evilgrin:

BTW this problem just started a few days ago using Firefox as well.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 am

Salmon wrote:The Solution: turn up the volume when you want to listen to the audio while playing a Youtube video. :evilgrin:

Well, duh, that is what I have been forced to do--and it is annoying, and it is not a "Solution". Sometimes I have reverted to using IE just for YouTube as for some reason, it is unaffected by this problem.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:27 pm

What is irksome about this is that it is pretty obviously a YouTube/Adobe Flash issue and it's almost a week and hasn't been resolved--and Google/YouTube/Adobe have not even publicly acknowledged the problem as a known issue.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Well it appears to be fixed (at least for me). I noticed a new post on the Google forum that I've been following that stated that it seemed to be corrected, so I closed my browser and reopened it and everything seems to be OK now.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm

suave eddie wrote:Well it appears to be fixed (at least for me).

Oh thank goodness!

suave eddie wrote:
Salmon wrote:The Solution: turn up the volume when you want to listen to the audio while playing a Youtube video. :evilgrin:

Well, duh, that is what I have been forced to do--and it is annoying, and it is not a "Solution". Sometimes I have reverted to using IE just for YouTube as for some reason, it is unaffected by this problem.

You got me there. It wasn't a solution. It was only a means of dealing with a situation rather than a difficult situation. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Solution |səˈloō sh ən|
noun
1 a means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Salmon wrote:
Solution |səˈloō sh ən|
noun
1 a means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation

That should be a G&L model - 'The Soulution'

(I left the typo , seemed to work)