Hacked by Ebay? Missing info on saved html files.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:21 am

As I was going through my saved image and html files this morning, I started checking the saved Ebay complete html files that I used for price comparables. Lo and behold, I find that each one of these pages that was saved in their entirety, including price info, is now nothing but a template that mentions what was there but no pricing is on the page anywhere. I have referenced these files within the past few months and they did have the pricing left on the page. Poof!, magically everything's gone. Of course the "EBAY" logos are still in evidence.
Now, I am always concerned that larger entities operating on the web, like Ebay, are accessing areas of my computer that I don't want them accessing, nor have I knowingly given permission for same. Sometimes when I hear my computer's hard-drive whirring, I get concerned because I'm unaware of anything that the computer should be working on. Perhaps this is the kind of thing that's being worked on?
So, has anyone else saved Ebay html files for comparables, etc? I'd be interested to know if your files still contain the pricing information. If you could check on it and post a related comment, I'd appreciate it. :BadPC:

Re: Hacked by Ebay? Missing info on saved html files.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 am

Hey MrRoundel,
It depends a bit on how the page was saved. A web page can be saved in numerous ways: as a web archive, just the link, screen capture, or printed to e.g. a PDF file (and maybe others that I forgot). If you save the page as a link or a web archive, all or a substantial part of contents to be displayed is still retrieved from the original server since what is embedded in 'your' file is just the link to e.g. an image, logo, etc. (My documentation on web archives states that all graphics are saved, but I have not verified that). Any and all of these web elements can sill be changed or just plainly expire such that they will no longer be visible (the dreaded question mark in a box). If you really want to be sure that you keep the pages as you saw them, I advice you to basically print them to a PDF format.

It is not very likely eBay would have access to your computer and certainly not to your files. Hope this helps.

Re: Hacked by Ebay? Missing info on saved html files.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 am

Admittedly, I just found one page that still contains the pricing information. However, on another 3-4 it was gone. Very odd. Just my paranoia acting up again I guess. Hey, just look at my avatar, it says it all. Thanks for your response. I'm not computer savvy enough to understand access issues. I do know that I must allow some sort of scripts in order to move easily around my Ebay pages today. Thanks again.