It's Saturday....

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

so, What the Heck?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/18/13354061-russian-top-clerics-forgive-pussy-riot-ask-for-mercy?lite

Has anybody else been following this story? Yeah, it was the band's name that first grabbed my attention, but there's much more going on here. Anybody want to help me pen a letter to Mr. Putin? Something just doesn't smell right..... :o - ed

Re: It's Saturday....

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:33 pm

i have been. any more proof needed that russia is still communist? locking them up for their political views is totally wrong. they should however get life sentences for the horrible noise they were making publicly, and calling it music.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey Louis.

I've always thought that Communism was an economic model, and a failed one at that. This here is just totalitarian thuggery. - ed

PS: Life in prison seems extreme for a poor performance. Maybe a few lessons....?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Didn't they just get two years? I say "just" in comparison to life sentences.

I'm still baffled that "hooliganism" is a crime. I read on CNN yesterday that the judge claimed he would have let them go if he believed they were motivated by politics. Apparently the official position is that they are in prison for offending the Church.

Ken

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

KenC wrote:Didn't they just get two years? I say "just" in comparison to life sentences.

I'm still baffled that "hooliganism" is a crime. I read on CNN yesterday that the judge claimed he would have let them go if he believed they were motivated by politics. Apparently the official position is that they are in prison for offending the Church.

Ken

isn't offending the church political?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:51 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Hey Louis.

I've always thought that Communism was an economic model, and a failed one at that. This here is just totalitarian thuggery. - ed

PS: Life in prison seems extreme for a poor performance. Maybe a few lessons....?

not in russia. in theory, communism was an economic model, never tried anywhere. in practice, it ended up being a total controlling oppression. i know, i lived in it.