Hearing protection for a gun.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 am

I am thinking about getting a gun. :BangBang: .357, 45ACP, or 9mm.
What should I think about when it comes to my hearing? What should be my concerns?
So far, I will get ear plugs and ear muffs. Even then, it can still be loud.

Thoughts?

Re: Hearing protection for a gun.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:35 am

I wear ear muffs only. No plugs. A good set of muffs is all you need, but if you want to be uber safe, wear plugs too. The gun shop should have a proper selection.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:47 pm

as ches said, the good quality ear muffs are enough. you don't want to be totally deaf either, being aware of your environment is also important.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am

I like using ear muff as well, they work great for a .22 pistol to a .44 Mag.

I have never like the ear plugs, they may be better these day but they always seem to let more noise through.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 am

Technology has greatly improved in the last few years. The latest electronic ear defenders allow normal level sounds through but block sudden loud sounds. Their sound attenuation is adjustable too. There is one make that stands out IMO for effectiveness without spending a mad amount of money - Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff. Amazon usually have them at a decent price.

Can I also suggest a really good pair of shooting glasses? You want something that wraps around fairly close to your head if you go for a semi-auto pistol; ejected cases are hot - I've had a .45ACP case get stuck between my face and shooting glasses a couple of times back when I was competing.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I use ear plugs (or even tissue) then use an active headset over that (Mine is the Peltor Tactical Pro. Somewhat pricey, but hearing protection isn't something to scimp). The active headset uses mics which allow or amplify most sound but cuts off high SPL noises, like gunfire. That setup works very well for me and allows me to hear conversation and non-damaging ambient noises.

I just noticed the question was initially asked 10 months ago. Well, if it helps anyone...

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 pm

tim, you made my day. thanks for pulling out that old chestnut. :)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 am

If you love music you must have good hearing protection. I worked as a welder in construction and pipeline and also shot thousands of rounds of 300mag rifle and 44mag S+W 7". I also have a spark hole through my left ear drum. I listened to the sream of grinders and hammers on steel. I was never offered hearing protection until the 80's. I never wore any for shooting unless it was kleenex I chewed and stuck in my ear wet. Consequently I am hearing impaired. Young people now would be a pound foolish not to treasure their hearing at work or play. Serious sh__t. I notice I have my old fender twin up to 3 and beyond now, which is way too loud for a small room. Unfortunately ...not for me. Hard on the neighbours too. Hearing aids are in my immediate future. Yuckkkkkk!