Travel tips for Albany, NY

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:29 pm

.....other than don't go there ha, ha.

But seriously, I'll be spending a week in Albany NY next week for work. Seeing as it's a 36 hr flight I'd like to say I've seen some sights and enjoyed some of what it has to offer before I head home.

Is anyone around here from Albany, or familiar with the place? Where are the best venues for live music? Where can you get good bread, tea/coffee and fresh fruit and veg? Are there any decent music stores that might have a G&L or 3 on the wall?

Thanks amigos. :thumbup:

Re: Travel tips for Albany, NY

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 am

well, don't know much about albany, but.

Just south of albany is the hudson valley, beautiful place to tour and see the country side. Also, you could take a train (about 3-4 hours) to NYcity, you'd see the sites and get to new york. There is a small quaint town called Rheinbeck, NY there, very cute. Lots of folks go there for a weekend.

If you want to see culture and history, 1/2 hour from Rheinbeck, is...................woodstock.......some of the hippies from the 60s are all still there! Good spot for lunch and a tie die tee shirt.

Just north of albany (not sure how far) in Hudson Falls, NY, is adirondack guitars, where I ordered my ASAT Special Deluxe. Dennis is the owner, good guy. http://www.adirondackguitar.com/location/map.htm

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:26 am

I was up there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but only had one meeting in Albany and the rest of the time off in the mountains. If you have time, try to get down to NYC. Boston is about the same distance as NYC, but I'm not sure about the logistics of getting there. It can be a very fun and interesting city to visit.

Ken

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:33 am

since they say new york's cemetery is twice the size of melbourne, but only half as dead, nyc should be your destination. in albany you can see all the government buildings. great fun.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 am

Albany in Western Australia has a rock the shape of a dog :shock: If Albany, NY is half as exciting as that, you're in for a treat!

Have a safe trip Phil :thumbup:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Albany in Western Australia has a rock the shape of a dog :shock: If Albany, NY is half as exciting as that, you're in for a treat!

:happy0007: :happy0007:

A colleague of mine who went to Albany NY a few months back found lingerie in his hotel bed. Sounds like the locals make up for the lack of entertainment in other ways. :o
Last edited by Philby on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Philby, I spent about 4 months in Albany in the 70's. They had some good joints and one of them had nickle beers one night a week. You could get plastered on a buck--Darwin

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:27 pm

darwinohm wrote:Philby, I spent about 4 months in Albany in the 70's. They had some good joints and one of them had nickle beers one night a week. You could get plastered on a buck--Darwin

That's what I needed to know Darwin. :thumbup:

Jet lag can't touch you when you're plastered!