watch american idol?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:30 am

i saw this performance tonight. amazing

[youtube]ayYNAEs0few[/youtube]

Re: watch american idol?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:37 am

Hopefully not another talent just to burn.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 am

I don't watch it so much anymore. I used to however. I like it because it is a show with a young audience that features young people with real vocal talent, no props, pitch correction etc. So much of what young people hear today is, "enhanced". At least American Idol singers really can sing!

One of my former coworkers was distantly related to Jordan Sparks, a past winner. I can tell you that Jordan wasn't discovered out of a crowd of 10,000 who showed up for an audition. She was already a known entity to the show's producers. Yes she had to audition in front of the judges and then compete in the show but she didn't wait for 20 hours out in the cold of night and heat of day to sing a few bars for some talent scout set up under a canopy. I'm just saying that you can work your way into the auditions through the back door and I suspect most of the talent we see does that.

Tom

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 pm

My wife watches faithfully, so I can't help seeing some of it by default.
There have been a few really, really fine performances, the one you cite among them. - ed

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Excessive use of delay/reverb. The girl can sing, but "I will always love you" is getting old, it's the singers' equivalent of "Parisian Walkways".

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:35 pm

jakkanen wrote:Excessive use of delay/reverb. The girl can sing, but "I will always love you" is getting old, it's the singers' equivalent of "Parisian Walkways".

they were doing a whitney tribute night and at least one of the 6 girls would have to take on that song. i agree it is done too much, but not very often done well. as far as the delay/reverb, the performer has no control over that, and youtube compression changes that from what the original was anyway.