Interesting phenomenon noticed

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm

When I open an edit window, I notice that the fan on my CPU (Core i5-750, 2.67GHz) cooler ramps up RPM and gets a bit noisy. So I launch Task Manager and click the Performance tab and one of the cores is running at about 40%, which is kind of odd. Only one core at that utilization isn't really odd, but the elevated utilization is a bit out of the norm. Keyboard response is a tad laggy as well. Using Firefox v8 (current).

So I moved Task Manager off to one side to get it out of the way, which also covered all those cute little smilies, and the fan ran down to low speed and utilization dropped to the usual idle. I drug Task Manager to the middle and up it goes again. Cover the smilies and back down it goes. Those little animated GIFs just seem to pound the CPU. It's not just here either, as I see the same effect at other forums that have a lot of animated smilies available. The greater the number of animated ones, the higher the utilization.

Chrome doesn't exhibit this behavior.

Okay. I'm gonna go find something to do now.

Ken...

Re: Interesting phenomenon noticed

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Good stuff to know Ken. I would challenge you to get my utilization up to 40%!! Last couple of days with a bum knee have me at an idle. Getting older isn't easy and acting like I did last weekend has proven me no longer a phenomenon, even in my own mind.-- Darwin

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 pm

I suspect I was seeing the same thing before I dumped firefox for chrome ;

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4381

My fan still gets going with some video formats.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Can someone let me know the scoop on chrome? have never heard of it. Is it another browser we can download? I use Firefox but I don't hear the fan in my Mac.-- Darwin

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 pm

darwinohm wrote:Can someone let me know the scoop on chrome? have never heard of it. Is it another browser we can download? I use Firefox but I don't hear the fan in my Mac.-- Darwin

It's Google's browser and of course is free. I ditched Firefox shortly after Chrome came out. It uses less memory
and performs better than Firefox. I have a lot of tabs and Firefox would either crash or bog down. I don't have this
problem with Chrome. I use it on both my PCs and Macs. Check it out.

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 pm

darwinohm wrote:Can someone let me know the scoop on chrome? have never heard of it. Is it another browser we can download? I use Firefox but I don't hear the fan in my Mac.-- Darwin

Yes , it's from the folks at google.You can import your bookmarks,passwords etc. from firefox after it's downloaded so the transition is pretty easy . It only took me about a day or so to learn the slightly different layout .

https://www.google.com/chrome

I would highly reccomend trying it out. :thumbup:

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:12 am

I use a mac and have been using safari for years. I really like it but from time to time it hangs for a bit then gets going again. I have heard others have the same issue but some people never have a problem with it.

A month ago I went to google chrome, have tried firefox, opera and others and they didnt stick with me. Chrome is great, works great, no more issues.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks folks. I am going to upgrade my Mac OS today and then go for it. I am still on 10.4xx. -- Darwin