Not Dead. .. Yet

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Hey Folks,

Been in absentia for a while, so I'll fill you in. November / Late October was revising my thesis for submission, and I defend my work this coming Monday. In there was a period of heavy job searching and lots of other things, like writing a paper (still in the mix) and doing some LaTeX work.

I currently am employed, and start on the 29th of Dec, in a camp job. Work 3 weeks, get 3 weeks off, as a field engineer. It is a underground hydro-electric project so I will learn a lot about rocks mechanics by proxy, something non existant in my education, despite being effectively specialized in geotech at a grad level. I am back in the gear whoring to boot, as now I can drop my savings on gear opposed to planning for the worsT! Time to erase that botched 7 of earlier this year, and get er done right. I am in the works with Victor Baker (the arch top builder) about a solid body 7, as he started doing rock guitars recently too, should be a fun trip!

I will also take suggestions on a travel guitar, pref electric for quietness and such. To fly around with me and whatnot.

Hope you are all keeping, how many guitars did Darwin buy while I was out :banana:

Cheers,
Kyle

Re: Not Dead. .. Yet

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck on your transition from student to professional.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Kyle,

Good luck with your thesis defense. I have all confidence you'll do OK.

sirmyghin wrote:I will also take suggestions on a travel guitar, pref electric for quietness and such. To fly around with me and whatnot.

I love the Baby Taylor for traveling. OK, it is not electric but it is compact and given that mine has an official OHSC, it is easy and safe to tote around. Will be taking it on a trip in a couple of minutes, the moment I log out of this session :D

- Jos

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome back Sirmy and congratulations on the new job. There'll be no shortage of suggestions round here on how to dispose of your new disposable income. :thumbup:

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Kyle,

Good luck with your thesis defense. I have all confidence you'll do OK.

sirmyghin wrote:I will also take suggestions on a travel guitar, pref electric for quietness and such. To fly around with me and whatnot.

I love the Baby Taylor for traveling. OK, it is not electric but it is compact and given that mine has an official OHSC, it is easy and safe to tote around. Will be taking it on a trip in a couple of minutes, the moment I log out of this session :D

- Jos

Forgot to mention I would like it to be full scale, the acoustic part I would like to avoid as I will be in a work camp.

Philby- I have more trouble not disposing of the income than anything :lol:

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Good to see you back, Kyle. I was beginning to fear the worst! Sounds like an interesting job, all the best with it and I hope your new commissioned guitar is better than the last one!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:35 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Hey Folks,

Been in absentia for a while,..............how many guitars did Darwin buy while I was out :banana:

Cheers,
Kyle

Nice to see you posting again and to read of your prospects. I do not know when you actually left but I think it is two? If not it will be soon enough.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 am

I did a lot of travelling too last year and I always had with me my Traveler Speedster. Full (Gibson)-scale, strange looking, but great sound.

http://www.travelerguitar.com/products/ ... speedster/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZO04zOeY4

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:45 am

Nice point! They make one with a 25.5 too. That is the right baseline dude.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:04 am

Glad to see you're doing well and approaching this milestone with aplomb. I don't believe in luck, so I wish you good skill in defending your thesis. If your explanations regarding technique here are any indication, you have nothing to fear. :-)

Did I miss something? Your custom seven-string ended up being a disaster? What happened?

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 am

CGT wrote:Glad to see you're doing well and approaching this milestone with aplomb. I don't believe in luck, so I wish you good skill in defending your thesis. If your explanations regarding technique here are any indication, you have nothing to fear. :-)

Did I miss something? Your custom seven-string ended up being a disaster? What happened?

PM me you email if you want to see pictures, but yes, it was a nightmare, bad routes, chips under clear, fret marks as extra fretboard decoration up the whole thing, defunct truss rod (wrenches, mine or his would not mate), rod was also very deep in the neck/cavity for it chipped (clear and wood), mediocre fretwork, headstock grain was not filled when body was refinished to be grain filled, neck was satin ffinished without asking me as 'oil necks were coming out gummy', aka rushed...

I got out with my money back, sans exchange rate, lost about 200$ total on the build, 8 months, and my chance to get a 7 for the rest of the year as I now had to play responsible adult (a guitarists worst nightmare).

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

For an update, I officially defended my thesis, time for the slight revisions and off I go!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Kyle, great to see you back. I did post a response, in fact it would have been the first one but when I looked at this thread today it is not there. I must have not have hit the post button. Sounds like you have been up to good stuff and it has resulted in employment. Congratulations and hope it is an interesting and rewarding profession for you. Yes I have some new ones but don't know where you left off. Some things don't change!! Let us know what your up to.-- Darwin

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 pm

sirmyghin wrote:For an update, I officially defended my thesis, time for the slight revisions and off I go!

It is the slight revision that kills you ;)

Only somewhat of a joke though. I had a grad student I worked with as a post-doc who defended his thesis and took seven (7!) years to finally finish his thesis. He had a pretty well paying fun job lined up too. Oh well ...

Congrats! :happy0065:

- Jos

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:For an update, I officially defended my thesis, time for the slight revisions and off I go!

It is the slight revision that kills you ;)

Only somewhat of a joke though. I had a grad student I worked with as a post-doc who defended his thesis and took seven (7!) years to finally finish his thesis. He had a pretty well paying fun job lined up too. Oh well ...

Congrats! :happy0065:

- Jos

This is a 1 stage thing, I do what they requested, I go free :happy0007: