Finally caught up with BoogieBill

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I've been hanging around on this board for over 10 years and BoogieBill probably has been here just as long. We both live in the Portland metropolitan area but never had an opportunity to meet. This past Saturday Bill had a gig at a local Applebee's and I finally made it to meet up with Mr. Cone.

Bill was nice enough to sit down with me and my bass-playing pal, Hal, during break and we had a nice chat. BoogieBill has always projected this personality of a nice guy, always ready to help with G&L questions, general guitar questions, and PA questions (where he has previously helped me out). In real life Bill is exactly the same and it was a real pleasure to meet with him.

His band consists of a bass player, a lady keyboard player and singer, Bill on guitar and vocals, and a drum machine. Given the limited amount of space and the size of the venue I'm sure a life drumset probably would be too loud, and Bill allowed as much. Although he did say that the band has been playing with a drum machine for most gigs. Bill shared vocals with the keyboard player; they are both good singers. Bill's voice reminds me of Kenny Rogers, and he can absolutely sing. He played several different Legacys and does not try to overwhem you with flash, but he is smooth and melodic. He also plays solo gigs, as those of you who have been reading his posts over the years will know.

I had a fun time meeting Bill and listening to him. If you are in the area, be sure to seek him out It will be worth your time.

Kit

Re: Finally caught up with BoogieBill

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Sounds like a great time. Drum machines are better than drummers because... THEY CAN KEEP TIME!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Your lucky to have the opportunity to meet Bill. One day I hope to do the same - though it would require an additional 2,700 miles of travel for me. I'm guessing it would be well worth it, though! Congrats! - ed

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for all the kind words, Kit. It was really fun to meet you and Hal. Maybe we should think about putting together a West Coast version of Emmitt O's Michigan Jam.

Yeah that Applebee's is a REALLY small place to play! The Alesis SR-16 drum machines we use do a pretty good job, but nothing like a GOOD live drummer.

I am definitely not a flashy guitar player, at all! LOL! Especially not with a sore finger! (And after bending strings al night, it was even worse the next morning.) My lead guitar skills are not great because I spent too many years just playing rhythm guitar behind my voice, but I can hold my own. I have two important goals for my guitar playing. I want to support the singer and the song; and I want the audience to have a good time.

So now it's your turn, Kit. Go get a gig!

Bill