Gibson files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 pm

More info:

LA Times
CNN

Ken...

Re: Gibson files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Not my favorite company. Still not good by any means.

Wed May 02, 2018 6:24 am

I was big Gibson fan 30+ years ago. My first guitar was a Les Paul Deluxe, and I've owned several Les Paul's through the years, along with a few other lesser known models. I can't say when it happened, but within the last decade I became alarmed by the decreasing quality and increasing price.

Chapter 11 isn't the end of the line - it's a lifeline. It grants a company an opportunity to get it's feet under it once more before resuming responsibility for their debts. I doubt they will survive if they continue to make the same mistakes that brought them here. Make better guitars, sell them at a reasonable price, and let your excellence sell them. Charge what they're worth, and don't use your brand name to elevate that price.

If they fail, I for one won't miss them. Heritage guitars has been making guitars out of the old Gibson factory every since Gibson sold some of it's employees the shop when they moved their operation to Nashville. Since that day guitars have been made in the old Gibson factory, by employees who stayed behind, using all the old machinery that formerly made Gibson great. I'd weep real tears if Heritage went under, because I think they've retained all the quality and craftsmanship that Gibson left behind. I've owned several Gibson Les Pauls (a deluxe and a few standards) in the 30+ years I've been playing, and none of them come even half way to my Heritage 157. I have pretty strong opinions here - probably because I used to love the brand, and had to watch powerlessly as it was driven into the ground.

It'd be nice if Gibson recovered from this, to once again build quality instruments, priced according to their worth - but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 am

Heritage had layoffs recently.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 am

Danley wrote:Heritage had layoffs recently.

How do you think Kalamazoo and Nashville correlate?

Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am

No correlation, except Dan off-hand mentioned "Heritage going under."

Wed May 02, 2018 11:47 am

I was already aware of the Heritage firings/quittings.

Sad bit of nonsense that is. It seems some friction between the new owners and the staff contributed to both parties failing to communicate in a way that could have avoided a lot of what eventually went down. Hundreds of guitars had to be discarded over the course of nine months, and depending on whose story you listen to, it is entirely the workers, or alternately entirely the new management's fault. I expect the both parties are partly to blame. Better communication and respect on both sides would have probably made for less waste - but because the new management was committed to renovating the aging facilities (a very costly, but forward thinking endeavor), that meant they were probably looking for an excuse to trim the fat - even if the shop was already running lean. It sucks that people got fired, and that others quit in protest, but their dismissal doesn't put Heritage in any real danger.

At the end of the day, I think Heritage is going to continue making high quality guitars - they'll just be doing so in a much better facility.

Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:I was already aware of the Heritage firings/quittings.

Sad bit of nonsense that is. It seems some friction between the new owners and the staff contributed to both parties failing to communicate in a way that could have avoided a lot of what eventually went down. Hundreds of guitars had to be discarded over the course of nine months, and depending on whose story you listen to, it is entirely the workers, or alternately entirely the new management's fault. I expect the both parties are partly to blame. Better communication and respect on both sides would have probably made for less waste - but because the new management was committed to renovating the aging facilities (a very costly, but forward thinking endeavor), that meant they were probably looking for an excuse to trim the fat - even if the shop was already running lean. It sucks that people got fired, and that others quit in protest, but their dismissal doesn't put Heritage in any real danger.

At the end of the day, I think Heritage is going to continue making high quality guitars - they'll just be doing so in a much better facility.

Sounds like Fender in the ewarly '80's.

Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

I've had several Gibson's over the last few years. I didn't think they were bad guitars, but I always ended up selling them for one reason or another. the auto tuners were cool, but way before their time (if their time ever comes). i also don't like the stories I've heard of Gibson essentially bullying stores and dictating negotiating terms. many of the local places near me don't stock them because of how unfriendly they are to small shops, which smaller companies like PRS and G&L have really found in roads.

Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 am

They really got in trouble when they created " Gibson Brands " . The guitar side of things is and has been profitable apparently. There are a few things about them that bug me but I still like their guitars ( I own three ). I bought an SG Junior back in January and it is really well made and has a nice thin neck like my ASAT , I was intrigued by the simplicity of a single pick up guitar . Chapter 11 can only help them since they will have to pare down and concentrate on the guitars. And yes, they do charge some premium prices , but if people are paying that price..... That being said buying used is usually the smart way to go anyway.

Dan mentioned something about G&L making inroads at smaller shops due to Gibson's heavy handed inventory requirements. I wish that was true. G&L has almost zero presence in the Metro Vancouver area which has a population of about 2.5 million people.

Fri May 04, 2018 11:29 am

Growing up in Orange County I always noticed small shops stocking G&L. Even in Sacramento their representation seemed strong in small/independant shops.

Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 pm

The Gibson fail was not a surprise to anyone. It has been in trouble for years. I have no interest in their modern era guitars. Don't know if they are good or not so good.

I have a '64 Gibson Sg Jr. that has the best of that p90 tone. All my other set neck guitars are Heritage. They build what you want with better materials and methods.

y2kc

Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm still in awe of Gibson guitars.
They have made poor financial decisions over the past 5 (?35) years, and their CEO has an ego problem.
They still have managed to make fine guitars though.
I have a '76 LP standard, '10 SG classic w/P90's and a '17 Firebird T, all 3 with nearly flawless workmanship, great playability, tone and vibe. Like my G&L's, "they" will need to pry them from my cold dead fingers to get them away from me.