Ghost Town,USA

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:29 am

The summer is here and there are less people participating on this web site than ever before. What is turning folks off to this site? The guitars are good and the folks that have hung around are nice. Whats up? Where did everyone go?

y2kc

Re: Ghost Town,USA

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:05 am

y2kc wrote:The summer is here and there are less people participating on this web site than ever before. What is turning folks off to this site? The guitars are good and the folks that have hung around are nice. Whats up? Where did everyone go?

y2kc

Playing my absolutely gorgeous sounding 1987 "Poor man's Broadcaster" in the music room ...

Wait! Let me proof it exists:
And I saw a similar one pop up yesterday somewhere. These are some great guitars.

- Jos

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:52 am

I have had the urge to break out an Asat lately. I think it was all the Broadcaster talk.

If I did I wouldn't be able to show a picture so I don't imagine it would even be happening......I am so confused. I have some great early Asat's still in their shipping boxes that don't exist without pictures.

I wish I had an Asat Classic. Traded my only one in on a great Heritage H-140 "B" series. It was worth it but I do miss the Classic. I would discuss this in the 1980-19991 index but I would have to post a photo and link to all parties concerned. This would include a picture of my traded classic, a picture of Joe at guitar center and a picture of the Heritage H-140. Possibly a picture of me with a thought bubble declaring that I miss my old Asat Classic.

I will be playing my G&L Sarcasm today and turning it up to 11 !,

y2kc

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:02 am

y2kc wrote:I will be playing my G&L Sarcasm today and turning it up to 11 !

LOL!

BTW, as long as these ASAT are still shipping boxes, whether they exist or not is still ruled by quantum mechanics. They might not even exist long before any camera even becomes relevant in the process ... ;-)

- Jos

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:19 pm

y2kc wrote:The summer is here and there are less people participating on this web site than ever before. What is turning folks off to this site? The guitars are good and the folks that have hung around are nice. Whats up? Where did everyone go?

y2kc

I blame the demise of the Lunch Report. That's where the best discussion were started. Since then, it can feel a lot like a new G&L tech support forum. I generally don't weigh in if the discussion is about those newfangled post-1991 instruments.

Ken

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:20 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

y2kc

Playing my absolutely gorgeous sounding 1987 "Poor man's Broadcaster" in the music room ...

Wait! Let me proof it exists:
And I saw a similar one pop up yesterday somewhere. These are some great guitars.

- Jos

Hey Jos, is that a wide neck on your ASAT?

Ken

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 pm

KenC wrote:Hey Jos, is that a wide neck on your ASAT?

Ken

Ken,

Not this one, it has a mere #2 neck with 7½” radius unstained ebony board. I do have two other '86 ASATs, both with Kahlers. The one with the maple board (left) also has a #2 neck, but the one with the ebonty board (right) has a #5 neck ( :happy0065: )
ImageImageImage

- Jos

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 am

Ken,

The lunch reporter was a simply brilliant concept that should have never been allowed to dissapear. It was a mid-day get together that always spurred conversation.It worked well from what I could see. it was a motor that kept this place ticking.

I wonder why G&L shut down the one aspect of this website that on a daily basis rallied everyone to participate in healthy conversation? That was an interesting business decision that stripped this site of much of it's community feeling.

TIme to dig out a mfd equipped G&L. I have not played one in years. My sc-3 and humbucker Heritage guitars get my attention mostly. My h-140's and h-125's are very hard to put down. Easy to play and dripping with tone. The amps love them.

For lunch today I am making a tomato sandwich. My favorite summer treat.

Y2kc

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:06 am

y2kc wrote:Ken,

The lunch reporter was a simply brilliant concept that should have never been allowed to dissapear. It was a mid-day get together that always spurred conversation.It worked well from what I could see. it was a motor that kept this place ticking.

I wonder why G&L shut down the one aspect of this website that on a daily basis rallied everyone to participate in healthy conversation? That was an interesting business decision that stripped this site of much of it's community feeling.

Y2kc

See these past posts:

"Weekly Lunch Reports"
Thursday July 26, 2012 Topic: Weekly Lunch Reports?
PASSED: Change to nomination process for Weekly LReporter
Need membership input: Weekly Lunch Reports?
Lunch Reports have been Archived ...

The participation problem
Who killed the G&LDP?

So, after several attempts to restructure the nomination process with membership feedback, it was the lack of membership participation that killed the Lunch Reports.

If someone wants to revisit bringing back Weekly Lunch Reports, by all means go ahead and post a discussion topic in the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion sub-forum.

:ugeek:

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey Casey,

A little ghost town always happens in the summer as I recall, especially now as those of us with kids are getting ready to start again next week. (I wish I had been chiming in more this summer).

The lunch report was great source of information and comraderie, I liv d doing a few. But with the new GLDP it seemed to wane as new members maybe were shy or not quite sure what it was all about. We can always do impromptu lunch reports and see what happens.

Some ghost town could be due to vacations as well. I got back last week from a fantastic vacation and will post pics this weekend or next week!

Oh yeah, Thank you Jos for showing a couple of ASAT's, had my Jr out last night for a bit and remembered how rich those sound . Remember, "An ASAT a day keeps both music and Leo alive!" :thumbup:

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

sam wrote:Hey Casey,

A little ghost town always happens in the summer as I recall, especially now as those of us with kids are getting ready to start again next week. (I wish I had been chiming in more this summer).

The lunch report was great source of information and comraderie, I liv d doing a few. But with the new GLDP it seemed to wane as new members maybe were shy or not quite sure what it was all about. We can always do impromptu lunch reports and see what happens.

Some ghost town could be due to vacations as well. I got back last week from a fantastic vacation and will post pics this weekend or next week!

Oh yeah, Thank you Jos for showing a couple of ASAT's, had my Jr out last night for a bit and remembered how rich those sound . Remember, "An ASAT a day keeps both music and Leo alive!" :thumbup:

Hey Sam,

If you are serious about doing impromptu Lunch Reports, I will unarchive the Weekly Lunch Reports sub-forum so that you and others have a place to post them.
Just let me know.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Craig wrote:
Hey Sam,

If you are serious about doing impromptu Lunch Reports, I will unarchive the Weekly Lunch Reports sub-forum so that you and others have a place to post them.
Just let me know.

Go Sam !!
(I'd do a few too)

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Id be willing to contribute impromptu lunch reports too. If I recall it say what your having for lunch, ask a G&L or BBE question and another question(s) of other subjects...

Dan

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 am

Me too on the Lunch Reports.

Tom

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 pm

y2kc

I still lurk, but I've sold all but one of my G&L's. I changed hobbies a couple of years ago. My main hobby now is vintage air cooled engines. I just got this 1929 Maytag running a couple of weeks ago. I'm now collecting engines like I use to collect guitars.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:45 am

See: The return of the Lunch Reports ...

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Sprinter,

I like your new hobby. That stuff is so cool and I imagine with your background that you can fix anything and make it run like a Champ.

Please tell us what G&L you kept. My guess is the red asat.

y2kc

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm

y2kc wrote:Sprinter,

I like your new hobby. That stuff is so cool and I imagine with your background that you can fix anything and make it run like a Champ.

Please tell us what G&L you kept. My guess is the red asat.

y2kc

The red Asat is correct!

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Sprinter,

There was never any question. I have not run across one like that before and it would be my keeper as well.

y2kc

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:46 am

Agreed on that red Asat. Never sell it.