Any amateur astronomers here?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:11 am

I've long been interested in astronomy, but have never owned a telescope...my dad has a small reflector that I've used some (but he's in KS, a bit of a drive from VA)...otherwise I've just done naked eye and some binocular astronomy. I am thinking of getting a telescope now. But there are just so many options, I was hoping to get some advice.

I'm thinking of spending $200-$300. I know some of the pros and cons of reflector vs refractor, but would love some input. Also, any value in the computerized ones that will actually find objects for you...there's a Meade in that price range that I've found.

What about accessories? I've seen people talk about upgrading to Barlow lenses (for the eyepiece, I assume)...what's that all about and is it worth it?

A couple of other things that might be helpful...I've got young daughter's and I'd love for them to take interest in astronomy, so the telescope should be kid-friendly. Also, we live in the middle of a city of about 44,000, so we've got some light pollution to contend with. We do some camping, though, so portability would be nice.

Thanks!

Check With Local Astro. Clubs

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Big beginner telescope thread at the TDPRI

I would get in contact with the local Astronomical Clubs for mo' betta advice.

Clubs are a great place to meet folks and gain experience.

Might find a better used 'scope for your price range at a local club.

Big list of astro. clubs; US and worldwide

jamie

Re: Any amateur astronomers here?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:51 am

Thanks for the links...I actually learned a lot on the TDPRI thread and some links there.

There is a local club, but to be honest their website doesn't seem all that "friendly"...maybe spending time on web-site design and marketing is not their thing! Anyway, we'll see, maybe I'll check them out sometime.

I've also realized that I prolly need to increase my budget, which I can...it's just the same fund that I use for guitar gear, so I was hoping to hold on to some of it.

I think I'm leaning towards the Orion 8" Dobsonian...I wish it was more portable and more kid-friendly, but it's seems like the most affordable way to get started that will allow for some growth as an astronmer..plus that leaves me some $$ for a lens/filter set! Besides, I can just get a little step ladder for the kiddos.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:45 pm

I dabble in a bit of astronomy. I find it challenging and relaxing, especially when sharing the views with family and friends. My main telescope is an 8" Meade LX200 with the computerized drive. I purchased it several years ago during the Mars "frenzy". While still more than I wanted to spend, I get did a lot of bang for the buck. However, it is a beast of an instrument.

The best telescope is the one you'll use the most. And, in fact, when first starting out, you may find a good pair of binoculars will be far more useful and budget friendly than even a mediocre telescope.

Drop me a line off line with any questions you have regarding astronomy.

RickT

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 pm

My Pop Music teacher last year was an amateur astronomer with a good scope. He recommended this

https://www.galileoscope.org/gs/

His comments were better than most 'cheap' couple hundred dollar scopes and they cannot possibly have made them for what they are selling them. You have to build it yourself. I am not into the stuff, but for what its worth I would trust this guys opinion, he is so into this stuff he did engineering for a bit (and then went to music) so he could try to be an astronaut and get into space.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 am

Nice photo, Rick...I'm assuming it's a composite? Sounds like a really nice scope you've got.

I ended up getting an 8" Orion Intelliscope...it's a dobsonian mount with a push-to computer. I've had it a little over a month and have enjoyed it...on the few nights that we've actually had clear skies!! But I've enjoyed great views of Saturn and it's moons as well as a few DSOs...and I had a couple evenings with good moon viewing. I've already wished I had a motorized mount, but I wanted an 8" aperture and couldn't afford one that big with a motorized mount! If my interest sticks, I may check into getting a 6" Go-To scope later.

Aug 5, Three Bright Planets Visible in Night Sky Triangle

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Saw this info on Space.com

jamie

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Unfortunately, that triangle is behind trees from my house!!!