How do you feel about religious dedication?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Great, I wish I'd see more of such things.
15%
Fine, Mrs. Fender is entitled as Honorary Chairperson.
31%
Inadvisable due to religious diversity of target market.
15%
G&L is a Christian company and therefore it's perfectly appropriate.
No votes
Much ado about nothing.
38%

Total votes : 13

Specific religious flavor of Centennial dedication.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 pm

While admiring yowhatshakin's new Centennial, I was surprised to see a rather strong religious message incorporated into dedication paperwork. I understand that Mrs. Fender is a very nice lady, and is the honorary chair-person of G&L, etc, but I think the religious message is out of place on a guitar certificate and/or important case candy. This is a guitar that will undoubtedly be purchased by those of other religions, along with those of no religion. For this reason, I don't think it's wise, from a purely business standpoint.

BTW: I always wondered about the naming of the "Trinity", as far as it being of a Christian theme. Perhaps I have my answer?

I will not answer any responses to this thread, as I know how people get about religious issues. I'm purely interested in the poll answers. Let that do your talking. Thanks.

Re: Specific religious flavor of Centennial dedication.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:13 am

Trinity is derived from a pre Christian latin word for something made up of or including three parts. It does of course have a religious connotation (Both Hindus and Buddhists also have trinities) however in the case of the guitar I think it was in reference to it's three pick ups. Trinity means three in more languages than Trio.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 am

For full disclosure, I am an atheist. I did not show the Dedication for anything I think or believe in but rather to demonstrate that the book "Leo and Me: My eleven years with guitar maker Leo Fender" by Mrs. Phyllis Fender is an integral part of the package because it references the explicit guitar. This in contrast to the George Fullerton model which in the time included "Guitar Legends, The evolution of the Guitar from Fender to G&L" by Mr. Fullerton, a wonderful book but otherwise disconnected from the instrument. And I do not begrudge people to write about things they are passionate about. I only have problems when it includes lies, white, blatant, or otherwise. But in such matters as religion I can neither prove nor disprove the validity of my stance nor anybody else's

Showing just the Dedication might be a little misleading too. First, I believe the Dedication is more directed towards the book and not so much towards the guitar. Second, it is a personal memoir by Ms. Fender showing how Leo spent the last decade of his life with her and what was important to them. He is shown while traveling, in family settings surrounded by grandchildren completely adopted by him, at parties (sometimes even looking foolish!), in the factory surrounded by (antiquated) gadgets and still completely captivated by his work. And it has one of my favorite pics ever: Keith Richards in tuxedo next to Mrs. Fender at the occasion of Leo's induction into the Hall of Fame in 1992. It is a wonderful book. And yes, in places with a religious undertone. But that was also an integral part of Leo in the last years of his life, and I fully respect that.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm

I was not raised a Christian, though I did attend a Catholic High School and have always been taught to respect all of the religions of the world. As such, when I saw the dedication in Christian terms, I thought "Good for her". I have no problem with this or with others professing their religious views. I believe it was her right to make her dedication any way she wanted and I respect her right to do so.

Take care.
Deuce.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:13 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Second, it is a personal memoir by Ms. Fender showing how Leo spent the last decade of his life with her and what was important to them.

I think that says it all. If people are offended, they have the freedom to not buy the guitar!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Since it was asked ~

Trinity got it's name for two reasons:

1) It had three pickups

2) There were three founders (Leo, George and Dale)

Tim

Mmmmm...Trinity!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

shawn500 wrote:Mmmmm...Trinity!

Yup, triple dose of sonic bliss ...

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:For full disclosure, I am an atheist. I did not show the Dedication for anything I think or believe in but rather to demonstrate that the book "Leo and Me: My eleven years with guitar maker Leo Fender" by Mrs. Phyllis Fender is an integral part of the package because it references the explicit guitar. This in contrast to the George Fullerton model which in the time included "Guitar Legends, The evolution of the Guitar from Fender to G&L" by Mr. Fullerton, a wonderful book but otherwise disconnected from the instrument. And I do not begrudge people to write about things they are passionate about. I only have problems when it includes lies, white, blatant, or otherwise. But in such matters as religion I can neither prove nor disprove the validity of my stance nor anybody else's

Showing just the Dedication might be a little misleading too. First, I believe the Dedication is more directed towards the book and not so much towards the guitar. Second, it is a personal memoir by Ms. Fender showing how Leo spent the last decade of his life with her and what was important to them. He is shown while traveling, in family settings surrounded by grandchildren completely adopted by him, at parties (sometimes even looking foolish!), in the factory surrounded by (antiquated) gadgets and still completely captivated by his work. And it has one of my favorite pics ever: Keith Richards in tuxedo next to Mrs. Fender at the occasion of Leo's induction into the Hall of Fame in 1992. It is a wonderful book. And yes, in places with a religious undertone. But that was also an integral part of Leo in the last years of his life, and I fully respect that.

Hello yowhatsshakin
I could see that picture of Richards?
Or if not any other photo of the book? If not too much trouble.
Thank you.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Mama Sam wrote:Hello yowhatsshakin
Thank you.

Sorry but since it is copyrighted material I'll refrain to do so for the moment. I will contact Darth Invader to see whether it is possible to show the page in question.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Mama Sam wrote:Hello yowhatsshakin
Thank you.

Sorry but since it is copyrighted material I'll refrain to do so for the moment. I will contact Darth Invader to see whether it is possible to show the page in question.

ok thank you very much
Regards

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:19 am

Mama Sam wrote:Hello yowhatsshakin I could see that picture of Richards? Or if not any other photo of the book? If not too much trouble. Thank you.

After Darth Invader gave me permission here it is. Doesn't Keith look distinguished (as does Mrs. Fender)?
Copyright: 2009 by Phyllis Fender and G&L Musical Instruments. All rights reserved. Printed by permission.
Edit: Fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Hooooo .....!!!! Great, I thought it was going to forget my request , but not :D

Dying to know all about that book!
All these things Mr. Leo
Thanks for your trouble

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:36 pm

This is very cool.

Didn't want to interject other than to remark that I like the fact that this discussion has not been deleted by the moderators. I like the fact that nobody is being disrespectful of or to anyone else, and that information is being shared and appreciated in the process. I don't believe that there should be topics pre-classified as a "bad" or forbidden just because the subject matter might or might not be close to the hearts of some. I'm assuming that the civility here has been appreciated by those with meaningful discretion (progress! ;+), and that the discussion continues now in part as a result. Nice. Deal me in. - ed