Open MIC for Tuesday December 17th

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

Today for Lunch, I had a deliciously boring salad. I was told its good for me and not to nibble during the afternoon......Xmas is coming..........so there!

I have been having some fun with the guitar builder and also with designing a guitar on the warmoth site. How come all my guitar ideas wind up costing a small fortune? I think I was over $2k for a warmoth strat.

I am also in the mood for an S-500. I had a legacy and it was great, but would love to try an S-500. Now, if ordered it from scratch, would you do, regular or premium finish, solid colour or transparent, burst, metal flake? They all look good to me. On the warmoth site, I prefer the Dye colours, they look awesome.

I have just booked myself a guitar lesson for this friday, 1 hour, in hopes that it will keep me motivated to practice over the holidays. What do you guys do?

Re: Open MIC for Tuesday December 17th

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Howdy Alf. I had leftover beef soup that GInny made on Sunday.

I have done many variations on the builder. My problem is my tastes change from time to time so I don't always know what I want. I do like the premium finishes , transparent. for a solid, Candy Apple Red is still one of my faves with a natural binding. The dye colors are gorgeous and Carvin also has some nice colors.

I have practiced today as I recorded a couple more tracks with the TI's. They are sweet! My practicing will be gigs this weekend so that will keep me busy. I noticed that you mentioned a lefty guitar shop in Fl. I have always felt bad for the lefties as there is not a lot of choices. It finally hit 32 deg today here in Minnesota. Almost like summer!-- Darwin

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Lunch
I had a couple of Clementine oranges and some coffee.

Guitar Builder
About a year ago I spent three days on that site designing what I imagined would be my perfect axe. I ultimately decided that I really didn't know enough about pickups and controls to design something that I could really consider perfect. Mine all were coming up over $2k, also. That being the case, I think that dollar-for-dollar I would do much better building a G&L, anyway. It was a heck of a fun three days, though!

S-500
Mine is Emerald Green Metallic, but S-500s are great in any color. (Clearly, I'm no help on this one.)

Motivation
I take lessons (almost) weekly. I plan to continue over the holidays, if my teacher is available. Having a lesson on the horizon definitely motivates me. I've recently decided that in order to get better, I'm going to have to get out to play in some local jams and open mics. I feel like my progress is going to be limited until I'm willing to take some more chances with my playing, which includes letting other people hear me -- mistakes included.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Pasta for lunch.

My projects usually involve platforms that I buy reasonably and outfit with different electronics and switch wiring. I have done a few G&L's this way and a couple of strats. It's fun.

I have a badass 1991 signature S-500, piano black with a maple neck. The tones from that guitar in position 2 toggled back and forth between 2 and 3 pickups are incomparable. It is an alder body. I have wanted a S-500 Deluxe with the mahogany body, but I have an Invader Deluxe with the same wood that has about the same mass and shape. I would try adding the mini toggle and re-wiring your Legacy if you like the way it plays. I think the p/u's probably sound better than the MFD's in the S-500.

I have never taken a guitar lesson but probably will if I can find a really good jazz player. I think I want to head further in that direction and it's too hard to learn by ear, video, etc. Playing with other people is the best motivation for me.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I love the guitar builder , I been building a Fallout with big flake blue , matching head stock ,black PG , locking tuners , quartersawn neck , gragh tech nut ..... yummy ..... maybe next year

S500 , I would order a big flake green with either white pearloid or mint PG , matching head stock , locking tuners , quartersawn neck , DFS , rosewood finger board and gragh tech nut

I take a lesson every thursday , I also pull up scale exercises and tabs off the net , I play every day for hours if I can and usually do

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Making sourdough bread for sammiches, that'll be my late lunch (and first and second dinners)... maybe with some Amy's vegan mac 'n cheese.

astutzmann wrote:
I have been having some fun with the guitar builder and also with designing a guitar on the warmoth site. How come all my guitar ideas wind up costing a small fortune? I think I was over $2k for a warmoth strat.

Here's a quote generator that scares me, even knowing there is a significant discount through dealers:
http://www.alembic.com/cgi-bin/quote/quote
(here's a showcase of Alembic's featured customs to give you an idea what they mean by "beyond custom":
http://www.alembic.com/info/fcvault.html )

I'd like a S-500 deluxe, maybe cherryburst, or autumnburst. I might change out the pickups, so I guess I'm just after the body and hardware,
they don't make a Legacy deluxe with 3 single coils(S-500 without MFD's), do they ?

I play and play, would love to take lessons, but that costs money and I'm trying to save for more git-making tools.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

No lunch today, work work work....

That guitar builder is fun but unless I ever cave in and get a personal choice of features I will keep scouring for used ASATs. Can't really justify that much $ for a non limited or special edition guitar. Maybe I could spec an ASAT like a S-500.

Lessons will be some online lessons and more playing in general as I will have some free time over the next two weeks. Play more guitars!!!

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Ham and mayo on sliced french quick throw together and run lunch today.

People should not rely on the Guitar Builder's pricing. It is what AG&B charges. My special ordered S500 price would probably shock you.

I am surprised to see that a lot of people get any form of lessons. It is just that I don't usually see people talking about it. I had gathered that people were set in their ways, playing ways that is.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:45 pm

[quote="Salmon" I am surprised to see that a lot of people get any form of lessons. It is just that I don't usually see people talking about it. I had gathered that people were set in their ways, playing ways that is.[/quote]

I wanted to learn how to play lead .... kids are gone , grand kids don't live with us anymore , I got all this time on my hands and didn't know what to do with it .... and decided to learn how to read music (again) after a post about tabs ...

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Hey Alf, I think there is no better guitar on the planet than a 1982 S- 500. Alright maybe a late 50'sLes Paul. But only just , go for it .
I wish I could pay for lessons but I can't afford the expense. At least in this era we have great lessons on line for free. Happy days.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Oh and great to see your eating so healthy .

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Salmon wrote:Ham and mayo on sliced french quick throw together and run lunch today.

People should not rely on the Guitar Builder's pricing. It is what AG&B charges. My special ordered S500 price would probably shock you.

The prices shown by AG&B's Guitar Builder is the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) not the price AG&B charges. All G&L
dealers are not allowed to post their actual selling prices on their website. However, AG&B could have posted the MAP (Minimum Advertised Prices)
which is lower, instead of MSRP. Not sure why they made that choice.

:ugeek: