Lunch Report For Monday December 16, 2013

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Getting down to the end of the year....

I'm actually on a quick trip to Seattle. Lunch may be from either Ivar's Fish Bar or a little Caribbean influenced restaurant in the Fremont district call Paseo.

I plan on hitting a couple of guitar stores while I'm here before heading back tomorrow. I'm going to try to stop by The Guitar Store in Greenwood to check out some G&Ls. I haven't seen James' new digs yet. I always hit a few of the Guitar Centers, like Westlake, Kirkland and Southcenter. And then there are the American Music stores in Bellevue and in Fremont. Those are both old haunts for me, and I've dropped many a coin in those shops over the years. And tomorrow, I'm picking up a new Mesa cab from the nice folks at A# Music Company in Renton.

I have favorite stores in my now hometown Portland, too. I do most of my shopping at the Guitar Centers in Beaverton and Clackamas, but I also love the Portland Music stores and browsing through Trade Up music.

What is your hometown favorite music store(s)?

When you travel, do you have any regular must-see stores?

Are there any "legendary" stores you have or would like to shop at?

I have been to Gruhn's in Nashville. I would love to stop by Norman's, Wildwood, Dave's, CME, and Mandolin Brothers, just to name a few. Hopefully with wads of cash!

==========================

Have you been naughty or nice this year?

What one music gift are you hoping to find under the tree our in your stocking this year? Is it a G&L?

What is the coolest gift you'll be giving this year? And you surprising your kids with a pony? Or a bit of jewelry for your main squeeze?

======================================

Hope you're having a good start to your week!!!

Bill
Last edited by Boogie Bill on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch Report for Monday January 16, 2013

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:34 pm

You may want to check the date on your post--you're a year late!

If you get as far north as Everett, check out Tommy's Guitar Shop.
I haven't been there for a couple of years now since I was shopping for my ASAT, but he is an enthusiastic G&L dealer--and he had some cool vintage amps in the store also.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:48 pm

suave eddie wrote:You may want to check the date on your post--you're a year late!

now thats some funny <censored word> right there .... :lol:

Re: Lunch Report For Monday December 16, 2013

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Fixed it.

Right year, wrong month!

Not sure if I'm late (for a very important date).....

Or a man ahead of my time?

Thanks!

Bill

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm

What is your hometown favorite music store(s)?
I like my local Guitar Center. In spite of the "House Of Satan" designation, I have gotten some great deals here.

I used to visit a Store called " Manahawkin Music" in New Jersey when I went to the beach every summer but they went out of business two years ago.

Are there any "legendary" stores you have or would like to shop at?
I visited Manny's in New York, but I didn't buy anything. I'll shop where I get the right price.

I have been to Gruhn's in Nashville. I would love to stop by Norman's, Wildwood, Dave's, CME, and Mandolin Brothers, just to name a few. Hopefully with wads of cash!

==========================
Hi Bill, January is still two weeks away. LOL

Have you been naughty or nice this year? Please - I'll always take the fifth on that question!

What one music gift are you hoping to find under the tree our in your stocking this year? Is it a G&L?
I would love a monkeypod L-2000 prototype. I doubt that i'll get anything that nice. LOL

What is the coolest gift you'll be giving this year? And you surprising your kids with a pony? Or a bit of jewelry for your main squeeze?

My kids are past the pony stage. Maybe some new smart phones would get their attention. The jewelry may be the ticket for the missus.

======================================

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Bill, I have been a week off recently but you are clearly the the winner!

I am a regular at guitar shops. Mostly to look but AGB is the best dealer I have ever dealt with. I do stop by the GC to look at used gear but they are not the sweet deals they used to be. I stopped at a guitar shop Stockholm in 2006 and saw the identical Fender American Deluxe Tele to see it was exactly twice the price as one in the USA. Daves in Lacrosse is a must stop for anyone in the area. Willies in ST Paul is nice too but not what it used to be.

I am not looking for anything for Christmas. We take the granddaughters shopping in mid January so they can take advantage of the post holidays sales. It is a tradition and they love it. They are good at sniffing out the deals. I cary the bags.
Have you been naughty this year?
Nope! :D :D :D -- Darwin

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Howdy Bill,

My favorite hometown music stores are Music Authority (G&L dealer and cool folks) and Atlanta Discount Music, another G&L dealer. :thumbup:

I always check out Guitar Center Hollywood (where I just happened to find a Broadcaster this past summer) and is across the street from the Mesa Boogie shop and Sam Ash shop. When in Seattle I go to Emerald City guitars and the GC in Kirkland. However when in Vegas I "avoid" Ed Romans joint - is it still there?

Are there any "legendary" stores you have or would like to shop at? Have been to Manny's and Rudy's in NYC and Buffalo Brothers, but still want to go to Gruhns, Elderly and Mandolin Brothers.

Have you been naughty or nice this year?
Depends on who ya ask, we shall see.

My list is all wishing because the music till is empty, but would love to find a Flashback X 4 or an ASAT Bluesboy.

My son's birthday is today and he is stoked over his 2127 piece R2D2 lego set. Christmas gifts are done but nothing to be posted should anyone look over my shoulder while reading GLDP! :evilgrin:

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:20 pm

I went to UW as an undergraduate 75-79 and remember the GC on Stewart (or maybe that's the Westlake store you mention). We found a store off Ravenna on Roosevelt, the Trading Musician, and they have some nice stuff.

There are no more independent music stores in Charlotte, NC...the big two have driven them out of business.

We visit, Gruhn; Matt Umanov and Mandolin (NYC); Chicago Music Exchange and some others. They all have one thing in common: ridiculously expensive. I had a layover in LA one day and went to all the guitar stores. That was fun, but I didn't buy anything and don't remember names. Lots of nice guitars in that town.

I got my xmas present early, another '98 ASAT Classic. I have given my sons some of my G&L guitars in the past. Accessories like picks, polish, strings, straps, tuners, etc. are always good stocking stuffers. Now those I'll buy at GC or SA.

LPD
Last edited by Ldavaz on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm

You should stop by American Music and check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-1987-ASAT-3 ... 35cfb2e1a8

(I also saw a Legacy on Seattle's CL for 600.)

X-mas:
I'd like to get another Yamaha AN1X keyboard. I'd love to have one of those stereo Swart heads.
I'm pretty sure there will be something from COUCH straps under the tree, maybe a matching wallet if I've been deemed 'nice'. :angel:

Hope you caught some of the NW winter sun today

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:What is your hometown favorite music store(s)?

There aren't any stores in my hometown.

Boogie Bill wrote:When you travel, do you have any regular must-see stores?

There are four stores I try to visit a time or two each year when I travel. The four stores are: Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas. Kansas Guitar Exchange in Topeka, Kansas. Lidgett Music in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Professional Music Center in Des Moines, Iowa.

Boogie Bill wrote:Are there any "legendary" stores you have or would like to shop at?

Mass Street Music in Kansas and Willies American Guitars in St. Paul, Minnesota are the only two legendary stores I've shopped at.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Ldavaz wrote:I went to UW as an undergraduate 75-79 and remember the GC on Stewart

Possibly "Guitars Etc." ? They were first downtown across from a piano shop, then moved several blocks south and settled next to the Doghouse Restaraunt until they dissolved . I bought my first electric there, a white washburn eagle ...must have been 1980.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:38 pm

My absolute favorite guitar shop is Atomic Music in Beltsville MD. They are a throwback to the shops I bought my first gear from in the 1980s - completely independent, filled with disorganized piles of gear and lots of interesting old stuff. They are also great to deal with, and treat their customers like they really want you to come back. I never know what I'm going to find there. So far this year I've scored a '63 Ampeg B-15, a '69 Gibson EB-0 and my son's alto sax.

Like Bassman, I do appreciate my local Guitar Center and shop there for most of my supplies (Bill, do you go to Rockville or Glen Burnie?). I was pretty ambivalent about the chain for a long time, but the store closest to my house has hired a couple of top-notch folks to work in sales. Even when I order something online from GC, I call the store and let those sales folks put in the order (and get the commission). I was kind of surprised to learn that Paul Reed Smith is a regular customer at that GC, but I guess he has to buy strings and picks somewhere...

I haven't ever gone to "famous" guitar stores, but when I travel I will pop into local places to check for any hidden gems. Usually they end up being in rural Mississippi or Alabama, and the gems have been elusive so far.

A couple of years ago I was back home in Charleston SC, and wanted to take my son to see the shop I bought my first gear at - George's Loan Company. I hadn't been there in 25 years, and wasn't expecting to find much of anything. I was blown away when I walked through the door - 25 years, 100 pounds and 100% less hair since the last time I was there - and the owner looked up and said "I haven't seen you in here in twenty years...what have you been up to?".

I have no gift in mind for myself. The past two years I've scored guitars when I couldn't think of anything else to ask for. I'm not going to push my luck again.

My oldest son has asked for a good quality mouthpiece and ligature for his sax. My 7 y/o has asked for a set of flats for the Musicmaster bass he's learning on (seriously, I'm not making that up!). They will both be getting what they've asked for. I also found a used MIM Duo Sonic for the 7 y/o, since he has been trying to learn some chords and just can't handle a full scale neck yet. I know that he will put in the effort to at least learn the basics.

Ken

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm

my favorite local stores are Waynesville Music just down the street where I take my lessons from and my local G & L dealer Centerville Music for instruments , repair/maintenance and amps

I would love to go to Seattle Guitar Store , meet James in person and pick up my Buck Owens after a photo shoot

I been nice , I would be happy to see a LE 2 by Christmas but as far as "ME" I will get something after Christmas maybe a Pedaltrain PT 3 pedal board with hard case , seems it's been Christmas all year G&L wise

with four kids and now 6 grand kids the big gift giving days are getting harder to come by

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am

LPD, there was a Guitar Center in Seattle at 8th and Virginia (near Stewart) back in the day. That was the second GC, I think, after the GC Hollywood. The Organ Center was right across the street, owned by the same folks--that always got a laugh.

I didn't have time to hit Tommy's in Everett this trip, but maybe in March, or perhaps when the Seattle Guitar Show comes around again in April.

Emerald City is a great store, I forgot to mention it. I've known the owner, Jay Boone, for more than 30 years.

If you do get to Seattle, definitely check out The Seattle Guitar Store. James is a nice guy, and he has lots of cool G&Ls.

Sprinter, have you ever made it out to E.M. Shorts? I think they are in Wichita.

Got to run, early day for this night owl tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses!

Bill

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 am

You can never eat too much Paseo - tip: call ahead and order by phone, then you get to skip the 1/2block long line :)

---
As for guitar stores, James' shop is probably my favorite and the new shop is great. Especially the teaching rooms are huge improvement.

Dusty Strings is a very close second, if you were in Fremont but didn't stop there... idk what to say. It is much more of an acoustic shop though. They are also only 1-block away and have great teachers and teaching space.

I've not been playing long enough for this to have been much an issue in my travels, I did go to Lahaina Custom guitars in Maui this year to rent an acoustic while we were there. He had one G&L Legacy when I was there but I couldn't fit it in my carry on :)

---
I never ask for gifts at the holidays. I make plenty of money and can buy things I want, have more than I need already. I generally try to temper the "credit season" with some prudence. Telling someone "Hey I want this, wrap it and put it under a tree" is a bit silly to me.

Coolest gift I'm giving is the saxophone for my oldest.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 am

Bill,

I was goofing around on the net while the little one was sleeping today, and looked at the "live cam" of James' store to see if he'd turned on the audio again. In the back of the store was a guy walking around with someone and I thought "that looks a lot like Bill". I bet it was!

I like James' store, Tommy's, Kev's Guitar ville and will go to the Kirkland Guitar Center occassionally because I'm killing time before preschool pick up begins.

The pizza next to Tommy's is called Brooklyn Brothers, and is owned by a local guitar geek who has been playing with Geoff Tate and Roger Fisher lately. Best pizza around.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 am

Sadly, all of the guitar stores that have been favourites of mine have closed down. The only ones that stay open are the ones I don't like going to. One of the best I've been to was in Germany - lots of really cool Gretsches and Fenders, amps galore and cool staff. One day I would like to walk in to a store well stocked with G&Ls, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

There's no limit to what I want for xmas this year. Top of the list right now is one of the new Fender '68 custom Princetons, but they haven't hit the shore here yet so I'd happily settle for a Fender Supersonic 22. Or a blonde ASAT with rosewood board!

I've bought everyone really good gifts this year that I think will be appreciated and used. I got my parents two identical clocks - my sister lives in the UK and they're forever trying counting back hours to work out what time it is there to see if its a reasonable hour to Skype. They'll love it.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 am

In Paris nearly all the guitar related stores are in the same place, near the place Pigalle.
But I don't go there so often because I can find online what I want, and, especially with G&L, there is no shop that carries US G&L and with men knowing what they're talkin'about...
So I shop online (James sold me my S-500, and my Classic custom come from Proguitarshop)

Under the tree I will find a second Barber Small fry that I plan to patch with the one that I already have with a smart bypass loop from switch-master. And a TC electronic polytune mini.

I bought a nice silver ring with a river pearl for my spouse, because we're gonna pass the 10 years landmark the 19th :o

I bought lots of other stuff for my kids and nephews.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 am

Boogie Bill wrote:
Sprinter, have you ever made it out to E.M. Shorts?

I haven't made it to E.M. Shorts yet. Hopefully some day I will.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 am

haven't been to any super stores.

Being a lefty, I always get disappointed in the guitar stores that I go into.

Having said that, I just found a new store, Gator Music in naples, fl and they are a G&L dealer. Mostly tributes though.

Overall, I've been good this year, ha ha.......not expecting anything but I am waiting on the LE-2

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 am

there is one store that I have been to and LOVE. If you are a lefty, you MUST take a trip to Jerry's Left Handed Guitars in Sarasota, FL.

He has 150 of the top guitars, hanging there and you can go in and play them all......what a fun trip, like being in a candy store

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com