Monday LR

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Todays lunch was one of my favourite sandwiches - chicken, diced celery and chopped walnuts bound together with mayo on a fresh baguette.

G&L Trades
I recently traded the SC2 I ordered for a Hughes and Kettner Puretone combo. I liked the SC2, but didn't like the colour at all and found that the trem was more of an annoyance than useful. I am very happy with the amp, it might even sound better than the amp I have been using so happily for the last couple of years, but lacks reverb. I'm pretty sure these things were hideously expensive when they were in the shops, and I feel I did well. Have you ever traded a G&L for something? Were you happy with the trade? Do you feel you got the better/worse part of the deal?

New Stuff
I received news about the reissue of Supro amps yesterday - gorgeous!
They're being made by Bruce Zinky, who makes a damn fine amplifier, and the guy who owns Pigtronix. I used to own a Zinky Supro amp that was fantastic and cannot wait to hear one of these. The amp these two guys previously worked together on, the Supro Full Boar, is incredible and I still kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance. I'm almost 100% certain there's one of these new Supro's in my future.
What's got you attention recently?

Re: Monday LR

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Howdy Blarg - thanks for jumping in today.

That sandwich sounds great with the walnuts, may try and build one myself soon.

G&L trades for me have been just the opposite. Never traded any G&L but did trade a HM Strat for my 88 ASAT, even trade :thumbup: This was in 93 so demand was in my favor.

Cool news about Zinky, I remember when his 25 W Blue Velvet was all the buzz around GLDP, I was very tempted. When you get yours post some clips and see if I can be swayed from the Boogie world. Only thing getting attention is a small body acoustic, the next ASAT or maybe a G Screamer pedal. So many options :cheers:

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Lunch today was a very boring sandwich, just fuel.

I have not traded a G&L for another piece of gear. I never made a gear for gear trade come to think of it . I am curious about Mesa Boogie amplifiers, namely a Lonestar. I have not heard one but the specs look good. Atomic spacetones look interesting as well.

Too bad about your SC-2, but ya , from the pictures you posted the colour really didn't work. Do you think you might try again? Maybe a new colour with a saddle lock is just the ticket. I bet one would sound great through that Supro !

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:55 pm

That chicken walnut sandwich does seem like it could be tasty. How is the chicken prepared? I think the particular walnuts would matter as well. A girlfriend's grandfather had a walnut tree that produced exceptionally sweet and tender walnuts.

I had a pasta salad with chicken, raw celery, raw carrots and mayo for lunch.

No gear trades G&L or otherwise.....always buy or sell, mostly buy.

I have acquired two guitars and some software plug-in/instruments within the past 6 months. I need to devote time to using everything. Nothing is grabbing my attention at the moment. I have a couple of mods on what I have that I am thinking about.

You mentioned that Shoreline Gold should be called Silver. I think the Silver Metal Flake looks like sparkly gray confetti. I have not seen Shoreline Gold in person but in pictures is looks warmer than a silver. Maybe Shoreline Gold should be called Nickle because of the copper that is often in nickle coins.

@ Glvourot, how do you like that S500 in your avatar? I love S500s. Is that a Cream pickguard? Looks beautiful in that photo.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:25 pm

no G & L trades for me but just recently considered selling my Cavalier due to not liking Vintage frets ..... I decided to get a re-fret with medium jumbo's stainless steel instead of selling

whats got my attention/my want list ..... I sometimes wish I would have ordered a Big Flake Blue Fallout instead of the LE2 , the wait is starting to "get me" , looking forward for the current "on order" guitars to show up , also looking forward to getting some serious play time on my 1976 Fender Super Reverb amp along with playing music with real people , being a "home player" I really enjoy playing with other people when I get the chance and my last couple guitar lessons involved playing with my teacher and his friend on bass , playing with people is so much more fun than playing by myself and I learn alot about keeping time when playing with others

Shoreline gold is a color that should be terminated :) .... my local dealer received shoreline gold Legacy and I don't think it was the color he was expecting , to me it looks like a tan-ish grey metallic , pictures seem to make it look better than real life , lousy color in my book and very mis-leading in pictures and it wouldn't bother me if they took it off the list ...... I wonder how many shoreline gold owners were disappointed when they seen the color the first time ??

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for jumping there, Blarg. I'm a sandwich guy MOST days, & today was no exception. Leftovers. OH, & it went really well with a Blue Moon beer.

The first G&L I've bought in quite a while is a Tribby Fallout. Man, it's one of my faves. I play that thing every day. I keep it near the tv, so a lot of what I'm noodling around is unplugged, but I sure love the ergonomics of that model. Yesterday, I took it into the ole music room & hooked into a couple of amps just so I don't forget it is a wailing guitar with some good tone. I think it may be my only guitar with a coil tap, so I forget to use it. But that is a winner.

I have a 20th Anniversary ASAT that I'm doing some serious thought of working a trade. Had it about 5 years. Superfantastic guitar, but I never play it. Tim Page used to say it was the best model G&L ever built & I'm about ready to agree. I did a little pickin' on it today & as usual, lost any sense of urgency to let it go. I do have a wonderful Bluesboy that I own now for the 3d time. The fella I got it from has also owned it 3 times. We always made it a part of a bigger gear trade that involved guitars & amps. He understands now that he will never get it back. IT's just too good. I'd never be able to figure about what I have in that baby, anyway. All I know is that every time I got it or gor it back, it got cheaper & every time he got it, he was missing it so badly that he would pay more than I'd paid him just to get it back. The jury is still out on which of us is the sicker one.

Jay

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey Jamie,
Your sandwich sounds good ! My lunch was boring cafeteria meal, but inexpensive and balanced.

I traded a Legacy special ( my first G&L), for a Hamer artist korina HB, and then I traded the Hamer for an ASAT Classic S semi hollow from the special factory run, couldn't be happier.

That supro thing is appealing !

What's on my radar lately : the Eastman AR371CE, seems a really good copy of an ES175 for 800€ ! I think one is going home sooner than later.
I'm really interested in good transistor amps, so the Henricksen blues amp ER is begging me for at least a test...

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Jaystrings wrote: All I know is that every time I got it or gor it back, it got cheaper & every time he got it, he was missing it so badly that he would pay more than I'd paid him just to get it back. The jury is still out on which of us is the sicker one.

Jay

LOL....truly funny...hehe

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 am

Sam - The Zinky/Supro amp I owned was a re-badged Blue Velvet, I had no idea they were popular on the old board, good to hear. It was a great amp that I wish I held on to, the drive channel was excellent!

GLVourot - I reckon I'll hold off on getting another SC2. I really want an SC1 reissue, and I'm happy to wait for it.

Salmon - The chicken was left-over from a roast a couple of nights ago, so super tasty. I've made it before by simply poaching the chicken to, and that works too. Walnuts were in season here a month or so ago and they are still eating very nicely, tender and nutty. Shoreline gold is a dull silver, most people say it is pewter. One thing is certain though and that's that it ain't gold at all.

Fumble - Playing with other people will make you learn so much faster than playing alone at home. I think I take something away virtually every time I play with others. And it's way more fun too! And I agree that SLG should be terminated, or even better revised to be between it's present hue and the piss-yellow Yukon gold.

Jay - The ergonomics of the SC body shape are incredible. I remember changin from one to an ASAT at a gig and it felt like I'd just put on a jumbo bodied acoustic. Got any pics of the magic Bluesboy? That'd be my favourite G&L model.

Supereiv - I'm interested in solid state amps too. The new Bluesbaby from Award-Session is on my rather lengthy "xmas present for myself" list, and more than once now I've stopped myself on the checkout window. Sounds pretty damn good in the video, and I have stuff lying around that needs a use...

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbup:

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Morning after here Jamie, I went in early last night!

I have only traded a G&L for another G&L. I do have a blonde Legacy that i would trade if the opportunity came up. It is beautiful but heavier than I like. Shoreline gold is not a fave of mine nor is any shade of gray. It almost appears as a gray. It would be interested to know from G&L which colors are the most and least popular. I still love the reds but there are many colors that I like and I have guitars in most of them. I do not have a Grey guitar anymore.

The Supro is a blast from the past. There are so many boutique amps out there that it would be difficult to try them all and decide. I would really like to try a good VOX Ac15 but haven't done it. They are very affordable. I am not lusting for anything at the moment but cannot guarantee that the lack of lust will last!-- Darwin

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:18 pm

My only G&L trade-away was an autographed '95 John Jorgenson Signature ASAT for a '63 Ampeg B-15. The JJ Sig was a very nice guitar, but the B-15 has changed my entire perspective on playing the bass (after thirty years!). I have no regrets about that deal.

Ken

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:38 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Supereiv - I'm interested in solid state amps too. The new Bluesbaby from Award-Session is on my rather lengthy "xmas present for myself" list, and more than once now I've stopped myself on the checkout window. Sounds pretty damn good in the video, and I have stuff lying around that needs a use...

How does the ZT goes with pedals ?
just asking...

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:59 pm

supereiv wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Supereiv - I'm interested in solid state amps too. The new Bluesbaby from Award-Session is on my rather lengthy "xmas present for myself" list, and more than once now I've stopped myself on the checkout window. Sounds pretty damn good in the video, and I have stuff lying around that needs a use...

How does the ZT goes with pedals ?
just asking...

I got rid of it years ago because, to be honest, it sounded pretty bad. I thought it was great for a while but once I got past the honeymoon stage all I could hear was this unpleasant, boxy midrange sound that I couldn't get rid of - limited EQ is not always a good thing. I don't really remember how it went with drive pedals, and thats a real test of an SS amp.