Toe Tapping Lunch Report 12-05-13

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:08 am

Yesterday’s replies made me realize I need to find the re-released Who Live at Leeds, one of the greatest live shows on record with way more than original.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
I have a long day ahead of me with much windshield time so Lunch Report is early today. Since it’s early and the week is drawing to an end I better keep the volume up for those here and maybe take it to 11 and bring a few more in.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
What’s for lunch? I will be providing lunch for a large group today, and Italian was requested. Business lunches can very successful and even fun if you learn about a new restaurant, but have to be careful to steer folks away from lobster and caviar. :-0 Fortunately most customers, potential customers and fellow employees don’t try and take advantage of the proverbial “free lunch”.

************************************************************************************************************************************************
G&L Topic
Toe Tapping Lunch Report, what is he talking about you ask? :?:

“Tap” as in tap your pedals, from a pedal junkie. A junkie who mainly uses a Sonic Stomp, Two Timer, Buckshot, Rat and Bad Horsie out of all my pedals. BBE has a real winner with their Supa Charger IMHO, I have two.

What BBE pedals do you use, what is your favorite and will you show us your pedal board?

If you don’t use a board, show yer pedals.

Having added a few new pedals over the past year or so I have expanded my Pedaltrain Pro board and a few BBE that continue to be top notch. Since my Green Screamer has an occasional short in it, the Buckshot fills my overdrive needs. I do want a BBE Gus G because it is based on the Green Screamer which I am a fan of and is a bit smaller.

Someone give a review of the Blacksmith. I had a Crusher that I could not bond with so it went off to a friend. How is the Blacksmith different from the Crusher and how would you compare it to a ProCo Rat or the venerable Boss DS-1?

After doing an A/B between the Mind Bender and Electro Harmonix Small Clone when I had both, the results easily lead me to replaced the Small Clone in a heartbeat. The Bender provides all the chorus sounds the clone does plus a truly cool vibrato option.

I scored a Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz off Craigslist last summer that has more options and sounds in a box than I can find an end to. Need to try a BBE Fuzz for comparison.

Total count is 17 pedals, Star Touch A/B pedal, bbe sonic stomp, mxr carbon copy, bbe two-timer, bbe mind bender, nobels TR-X, dod phaser, bbe tremor, Soul Vibe, Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz, Korg reverb, boss MT-2, proco rat, boss ds-1, G&L Buckshot, BBE orange squash and a Boss tuner, with a Morley Bad Horsie II and Foxx wah/volume off to the side.

[url]Image
[/url]

Also include two boogie pedals and single button for blues deluxe channel switch, and driven by Two Supa-Chargers.

Can someone say I have a little OCD? Oh yeah, the OCD is another pedal I need on the list… :shocked028:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Non-G&L Topic

Keeping with the board theme, who made your board and are you satisfied?

As said I have and am very satisfied with the Pedaltrain Pro. It is big enough to hold a load of pedals and easy to set up and the one I got has a soft bag for transport. Musicians Friend had a killer sale a few years back that IK could not pass up.

[url]Image[/url]

Should G&L / BBE offer a pedal board, plastic case or bag of some kind?
Could be another means of branding for G&L. :idea:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
With Winter coming on us quickly, those in the Minneapolis St. Paul area even more so (Darwin ;) ), those who are active outside running, biking etc. during the warmer months, how do you plan to stay active in colder months?

Living in the South even when it usually only gets down in the 30’s or 40’s with very little snow, so my running and biking becomes bundled walking outside. A black lab gives reason to “walk the dog”. I do have a treadmill that was taken apart to move around the house about 5 months ago and you know what, it still needs to be put back together.

Picture day tomorrow, stay warm and play loud! Remember, glowing tubes can provide warmth [size=150]
[/size]

Re: Toe Tapping Lunch Report 12-05-13

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 am

Sam, I forgot to answer the big question yesterday, I have been on the GBL forum sine 2008 I believe.

Alfs late report on yesterday mentioned his golf game. We had 7 inches of snow yesterday so I spent all day and early this morning shoveling snow. Quite a contrast. It is 7 F here with a wind chill well below zero.

I do use a Sonic Maximizer on my bass for gigging but I also have two BBE 880 I's for four channels of vocals. It really sweetens the PA up. Other than that I have BBE pedals but don't use them. I prefer using my Vox Tonelab when recording as it does everything well. BBE makes good pedals but I wouldn't see a pedal board addition as a profitable venture. Nice idea though. You have a sweet array of pedals Sam!

Most of the elderly cruise around the shopping mall for exercise. Not my thing. I prefer to shovel snow and keep the cars cleared off for GInnys clients in the winter. In the spare time I herd cats. A good elbow bend is not a bad thing in the evening either. If you hand gets cold you can use the OV Glove that I see on TV all the time before Christmas. I even hate to think about how many of my friends have had knee/hip replacements. They wear these joints out. I think they are good for only so many miles, much like the frets on a guitar-- Darwin

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 am

Not a pedal guy. I wish that I could make pedals sound as good as some players do on samples. I use only a Barber Tone Press parallel compressor which is pretty much always on when I play my ASAT Classic through the front panels of my Fender and Roccaforte amps on clean settings. It functions as a clean boost. That's it.

I instead match four or five guitars to three amps (down to the tubes and speakers) and do very little crossing over in these parings. That's my electro-sonic outlet.

Mild winters in Charlotte, NC. It's actually better to do summer activities later in the year because summers are so hot.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Lunch today was left overs, or as my dad used to say, "Must GOs"

not a pedal guy either, have a couple from doing the LR, interesting.

I did buy a Boss ME70 which will just about do everything and then some, that I need. I bought it because of the effects but also because I wanted a looper to try.

Need to play with it much more.....

I did play golf yesterday and I'm bidding my time because next thursday I head back up north and will be in canada over the Xmas holidays.

I love being in the south, but I do make time when I'm north to ski and Holiday Valley in NY State is 90 minutes from my house, so I like going there! Otherwise I have an elliptical machine and I try to work out on it.

Because I'm learning to play tennis here, I want to join an indoor tennis place up north......

You'd think for all the activity I have, that I would be a skinny guy,,,,,,,I wish!

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Slice of pizza today - so much for going light...

I have a Boss ME-25, a King-of-Tone (clone), Boss DS-1 and OS-2, Arion SCH-1 Chorus and a vintage Sovtek Big Muff Pi. When I'm feeling exceptionally dirty I put the Ds-1 into the chorus and channel my inner Kurt Cobain. Nirvana songs are some of the few I can do justice to, lol.. I don't really like the OS-2 at all, but keep it around for my 6 year old to have when he wants a pedal to use :)

I like to run the KoT into the Big Muff and get try to get Gilmore'esque sounds. I add some chorus because I don't have a delay. It can get OK sounding this way. But the Big Muff takes a lot of volume to really open up 'right' so I rarely do this.

Until the last couple weeks I was very lazy with the ME-25. I had learned enough to fiddle with sounds on the controls and I left it at that. Now I have discovered Boss published a bunch of patches for the 'top 100 guitar sound songs.' Using these makes it pretty idiot proof. I'm sure to a true tone afficionado it might not be the same but its pretty good for my ears. And I can pretty good sound right into my sennheisers which is critical when you rarely get to play before everyone goes to bed at night.

I miss the climate from the south. It's been a long time but I used to like the heat & humidity of places like Georgia, N Carolina and northern Florida. I'm getting sick of the cold, dark rainy season here (which lasts like 9 months). I really prefer running outside, but when it gets dark, cold and icy (like it is now) we have an elliptical machine to fall back on. For strength and flexibility training I defend myself from the perpetual onslaught of my midget clone-minions...

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Pedals- I use a few. I don't have a picture but the order is Bad Bob clean boost, Catalinbread RAH, Behringer Vibrato, BBE Tremor, Delay, tuner. I've got perhaps another 10 pedals laying dormant that don't get a lot of use but are too good to sell on. One of them is the G&L Buckshot, which I think is as good an overdrive as any I've tried, but don't have a lot of use for in the music I play. Once I switch back to guitar from bass in my band I won't have a need for any pedals and I'm quite looking forward to it as it's one less thing to lug around and set up. I flat out refuse to pay for a pedal board and use a piece of scrap wood with some heavy-duty velcro strips on it and rubber feet to stop it sliding everywhere, cut to fit perfectly inside an old sports bag. Total cost of about $10. Never had any damage either.

Weather and activity - We're at the beginning of summer here, and we have had winter weather yesterday with a maximum of 12C (55F) with a lot of sideways rain and even hail in my new town. Ahhh, climate change... I don't do a lot of exercise except for riding to place of daily toil. We don't get temperatures low enough to kill you within 10 minutes of exposure here, so wearing a rain coat is the best way of maintaining this activity. I've been thinking about joining the local rugby team, but have been having second thoughts after recently remembering the dislocated fingers and people stamping on your hands that I experienced previously, I'd prefer to keep playing guitar.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Hmm pedals.. the bane of my existence in the last few years... I went from mainly a rack processor to pedals again for the first time in about 15 years... so since my band does cover stuff thsi si my current board:

If front of the amp:

PEWAVES JPT-10 Chromatic Guitar & Bass Tuner
BBE BEN Wah (GREAT WAH!!) or Ernie Ball 6185 Wah (On my practice board now that I have the BBE)
MXR M-132 Super Comp Compressor or EHX Nano Soul Preacher Compressor (not on my board right now)
Moen UL-VB Jimi Zero Vibe
Dunlop/The Jimi Hendrix System Octave Fuzz JH-3S
Dunlop/The Jimi Hendrix System Fuzz JH-2S
Zoom Power Drive PD-01

In the Effects Loop:

Marshall Regenerator (Set for Flange)
Marshall Echohead (Set for Reverse Delay) - will probably be relegated to my practice board for normal delay
Marshall Vibratrem (Set for Tremolo)
TC Electronic Flashback X4 Delay
Digi-Tech RV-7 Stereo Reverb
BBE Mind Bender Analog Chorus/Vibrato (Usually set to chorus)
BBE Boosta Grande Clean Boost (One of my favorites!) or Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal (I swap out this and the BBE above depending on my gig)
MXR ZW90 Wylde Phaser
DigiTech Whammy 4

With all of this going on I am probably somewhere down the line going to get a GCX Audio Switcher s I can control it via MIDI and get those pedals off the floor and back by my amp.

Mark

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:20 pm

sam wrote:What BBE pedals do you use, what is your favorite and will you show us your pedal board?

The Sonic Stomp is the only BBE pedal I've kept. I don't have a board.

sam wrote:If you don’t use a board, show yer pedals.

The pedals are: Sioux Guitars, K-D Chorus & Court Street Overdrive / Ibanez FL-9 Flanger / MXR, M-133 Micro Amp & M-66 Classic Overdrive / Keeley Compressor / BBE, Sonic Stomp

The cat is B.J. (Beavis Jr.)

sam wrote:With Winter coming on us quickly, those in the Minneapolis St. Paul area even more so (Darwin ;) ), those who are active outside running, biking etc. during the warmer months, how do you plan to stay active in colder months?

I love the cold weather! The high today here in Northwest Missouri was 16 degrees. I get out in the cold and do everything I do during the summer.

That picture is from a few years ago. I put more miles on my ATV's in the winter than I do in the summer. I wish I still had that truck.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I have some BBE pedals , I also have a gain changer , MXR distortion box too .....BBE I have and use the sonic stomp almost all the time ,
I have the Blacksmith and like it the best of what I ever used , I got the mindbender , Two Timer , varicomp 3080 , Tremor ,Windopane , BBE wah
and a supa charger ..... I use the sonic stomp all the time and blacksmith for when I need distortion .... I mainly play lower volume levels and its hard to get tube distortion at that volume level,
the other pedals I'm waiting for some "alone time" in the house when I can crank it up , the wife is going to ALASKA in early january for three weeks so I
figured I could bring some equipment in the house and not have to take it down every night .... I bought a used Coffin case but I don't have any room for
the power supply , I think I'm going to get a PT 3 pedal board , tad bit smaller than the Pro but still has room for my power supply , I will get the hard case when I get one because it will be stored in the garage
don't have any pictures yet of my pedals , some are new , some from ebay , wah and supacharger from craigslist

shoveling snow will keep you warm !! .... we are suposed to get 8 to 11 inches of snow tomorrow ..... I like the "tubes will keep you warm " theory , that will
give me some amo for the wife to bring in all my amps , I'll show her some picts of Darwin,Scot and Jos's wall for amo that I need more guitars ...lol

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Quick reply as I have spent almost three hours on a plane waiting to take off from Dallas with a phone battery at the end. Thanks for the replies and Sprinter love the pedals and the wheels,need more info on Keeley compressor always gets good reviews.
Fumble I will provide more ammo tomorrow for GAS and the blacksmith sounds like something I might like
MAP70 that is one impressive pedal chain

Plane is about to take off, told to turn phone off, even after I explained this involved very important international guitar collaboration! :banana:

Until tomorrow and it will be a picture and project day

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 pm

I've collected way too many pedals over the years. If I sold off the ones that never get played anymore, I could probably fund another G&L. The only pedals I ever set out to collect were Moogerfoogers. The rest I've just been too lazy to sell.

This is OCD:

The total list of what I have lying around is too long to go into. My six Moogerfoogers and a Carl Martin Compressor are my go-to pedals in most cases. I'm getting excited about the new Minifooger line that is coming out in the next couple of weeks. Some will just be less tweakable versions of Moogerfoogers, but the drive, boost and trem pedals sound promising.

I'm waiting for a Catalinbread Pareidolia tremolo pedal to clear a thirty-day hold at my local shop, so I can bring it home. The other one that will be inbound soon is a Moog CP-251 Control Processor. It isn't an effect pedal so much as a programmable, all-analog expression pedal.

I do have some BBE pedals from Lunch Reports. I've mostly used my Bench Press as a limiter after delay pedals, and found it to work very nicely in that role. The Double Barrel I didn't find much use for (I will probably trade it toward a Minifooger boost pedal). I've used my new Sonic Stomp a couple of times between my SC-3 and Blues Junior, and can't believe how much of a difference it makes. It's like having a much better amp. I haven't tried it on bass yet, as the B-15 gives me exactly the sound I want.

I picked up a used Swollen Pickle last spring to try as a bass distortion. It is an amazing pedal on the bass. Most bass distortions suck out the low end, and leave you with some top end fizz. The Swollen Pickle leaves all of the bass's frequency spectrum intact, and puts some grit into every part of that spectrum. It's wonderful on guitar, too.

Ken

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 pm

I have Furman pedalboards for both acoustic and electric guitar rigs. I do like the Furman. I'm going to start using my Fishman Aura DI soon, so the acoustic board will probably go bye-bye.

I have a bunch of pedals. The trick is to use them sparingly. My current configuration is: DOD preamp; Boss tuner, phasor, compressor and harmonizer; Crybaby wah from 1972; Rocktron Short Timer delay and a Real Tube 901 OD.

My gripe with the BBE pedals is their size. I have several from doing the Lunch Reports...what a nice benefit it is!

Over the next few days I'm going to be evaluating some new pedals. I'm probably going to be swapping in some new ones, and changing the order of aa couple. Want to be ready for my New Years Eve gig.

I could see BBE offering a pedalboard.

Bill

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:38 am

Hi,
I don't have pictures of my pedalboard, but here are the specs :
it's a gator pedal tote with alim; and the chain goes like this :
BBE Zen Wah
Barber small fry (darn I love that thing so much I'm toying with the idea of getting another one)
EHX the ring thing (a ring modulator basically, but it can do lots of things like pitch shifting, tremolo, sort of phaser, vibe, and ring obviously, all with 9 memory slots)
Catalinbread Pareidolia, one of the most jaw dropping trem pedal I've heard
Catalinbread Montavillian Echo
and last but not least a Ditto Looper.

I won a BBE bench press as a Lunch Report gift, but I don't use compression at all, so that had to go.