WEB Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 am

Reports today and tomorrow will be coming in early due to work schedule, but I have a few topics that all can relate to. Yesterday confirms robots and auto tuners are not for mainstream and not on our Christmas list. Tremolo users are among us though.

In a late night reply to Bloodied-Fingers I mentioned something others may have seen or have interest in. Jake Cinninger of Umphreys McGee who plays a beautiful S500 has a bar that is smaller and supposedly easy to use.
I see our own desertrat07 has one and posted a review on GLDP two years ago, see link here. 
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4039

****************************************************************************************************

What’s for lunch? Since I am travelling some today it will probably be a good ol’ Subway tuna sandwich Cheetos and a glass of water.

****************************************************************************************************
G&L Topic
Since the today’s topic is WEB Wednesday I will explain. Our world has been expanded many fold through the internet, especially our G&L world, so let’s see how we have used G&L through the WEB.

I came across GLDP ver 1 about 2002 and quit lurking and jumped in somewhere between 2003 and 2004, when did you find GLDP?
How about the G&L home page, do you go there at all and how often?

I go a few times a month to look at different geetars, see if there is any new news, listen to sound clips and check out the online store for more cool stuff. I have bought a few shirts and other things from the online store, what have you bought, or what G&L stuff do you want to buy?
http://www.glguitars.com/

Thanks to Darwin I now go to the American Guitar Boutique to spec my dream ASAT. This site can be dangerous.
http://americanguitarboutique.net/Guitar_index.html

How about WEB G&L shopping, where do you go?

I frequent ebay, craigslist and Guitar Used on a regular basis. Ebay is pretty status quo. Craigslist is great for someone like me who travels. I put in specific cities I am going to and when appropriate go shopping. Found my Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special this way.

Allofcraigs searches across the US. http://www.adhuntr.com/

Guitar Center Used helped me score a Broadcaster last year. :banana: Found this in Los Angeles, and I had been looking for a maple board, whoo hoo!!
[url]Image[/url]

Then this summer found this ASAT Custom Classic in Atlanta. I am not a belly cut body fan and the color would not be my first choice but this guitar does have some spank to it. Am getting used to belly cut as well. I know the neck pickup has been around the bend but as an ASAT option this does have a different tone and is a lot of fun.
[url]Image[/url]

how about a double take?
[url]Image[/url]

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

Happy hunting!

Non-G&L Topic
Do you ahev any albume remakes you really like or do you think it is marketing overhype to milk a few songs or gotta have? I read Nirvan's In Utero is coming out with a remake version. The Beatles Let It Be Naked came out a few years back and another band I like Marillion does a lot of reissues with extra songs. I will buy it if it has new songs but just alternative takes are for bands I have a true following with.

Let's get over hump day together. (picture camel commercial here :happy0007:

Re: WEB Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 am

Sam, we are in the middle of a snow storm here in beautiful Minnesota so I just got in from shoveling.

After spending about 40 years in the computer industry, I was always intrigued by the changes and the speed at which they were happening. All these hardware marvels allowed for the development of new software applications. I am now a true relic in the business. The phone thing is amazing. I still don't have a camera or text in my phone. I did have a cell phone in 1992 about the time they were becoming hand held and small in size. Today the web is a source of information for everyone. I spent endless hours looking at guitars on e-bay a few years back. We just got medium speed DSL early this year so I can now see videos. Times are changin'. Unfortunately, I am going to have to go to a new computer soon as the internet doesn't always work properly due too software levels.

I have looked at several G&Ls recently and was close to buying but decided not to. I found the perfect Legacy and it was hard to pass up. I also looked at a sweet Fallout but the satin rosewood neck was a deal breaker. I continue to look but am much more selective than I used to be. Not a lot out there that jumps out at me.

Nice score on the broadcaster. Local GC has had a couple of G&Ls recently but they are now overpriced. This is now true on most of their used gear. I don't get the deals like used to.

I haven't purchased an album for ages. II mostly download songs that we add to our gigs if I don't know them. I do like music videos and one of the best I have is James Tayor, Pull Over. I have watched it many times. I also really enjoy Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert. I do have some remakes but nothing that jumps out at me. -- Darwin

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 am

Lunch today will probably be something from the freezer. I did have sourdough toast with peanut butter and banana for breakfast though.
I bought my S-500 in December 2010 and I probably found the GLDP shortly after. I was not around for version 1 and am surprised how members seem to have dispersed after the introduction of version 2.

I don't go to G&L home page to often, but it seems to be a better site in the last year or so. I wouldn't mind a shirt so I'll go check it out again later.
The American guitar boutique is very dangerous. What a great idea, interesting that G&L didn't come up with it.

I bought my SC-2 from guitar adoptions in April of 2011. It was the only time I bought a guitar with out playing it somewhere first. There was no other option for me however because the dealers in my area did not even know about SC-2's let alone have any stock on hand.

Craigslist is good sometimes and Ebay is great for seeing whats out there.

There are no Guitar Centers in Canada. In general I have not been to impressed with them when I do go across the line, at least to the one I have been to ( I think its in Renton ) The big chain in Canada is Long & McQuade , I stumbled across my S-500 there.

I really liked Let it be naked. I read somewhere that that version was the original vision for the album. The Who's live at Leeds reissue is really good too, what with 75% more songs on it. I'm all for it if the sound quality is improved.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Darwin - bummer about the snow, that's why I left northern IN 14 years ago. But to those who do like the snow and all of the fun like skiing and snowmobiles I can see the appeal.

Tim - speaking of web it should all be called "guitars on the web" huh? ;-). I used to go to gbase more, but being the bottom feeder I am, their listings tend to run high. So many guitars, so little time ( and cash flow!)

Glvourot - the good folks at Guitar Adoptions help me with an ASAT Z3 SH back in 05, still a favorite.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Good questions today.

GLDP--late '90's to get S-500 mini toggle wiring, registry and dating info.

G&L Online--well since you asked, I'm not too happy. I bought the set screws for my 1991 ASAT locking saddle bridge, got the wrong ones, and there is NO ONE and NO WAY to get this straightened out. All in, I'm out $10 and spent 1/2 hour in their voicemail system yesterday. Just awful. Anyone have any ideas? I recently bought brass saddles for a '98 ASAT, and it worked well, but no chance of error there. HELP!

Source of G&L's--mainly Ebay and usually offline either during or after auctions for people with online stores who link to EBAY. I just bought a duplicate '98 ASAT that way. Otherwise, individuals not catching a bid on great guitars. G&L's are rare on CL in NC, but I traded a PRS CE-22 straight across for a great Invader Deluxe last year on CL.

Aside from all the Beatles Digital (a must have), I was going to say Let It Be Naked. The recording industry should go completely through this era and make 'em all naked. The fusion stuff from the '70's digitally remastered is incredible: all the CTI artists, the Miles Davis Bitches Brew and all the decendants (Billy Cobham, Chick Corea, McLaughlin, Weather Report, etc). A lot of the 20th Century Masters of pop bands are really good; just look at the songs. Thanks for the tip on Live At Leeds. I'll pick it up.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Lunch was back to salad today..

I just joined GLDP this year. I have very few musical friends and the tech info here seemed appealing. I don't frequent G&L's homepage but I used the online store to get replacement screw/bushing for my trem arm.

I have whiled away some time on the G&L builder, I really like it but its nothing like seeing and holding things in real life. Some of the colors are especially off.

I have been perusing e-bay but I'm finding almost all G&Ls are made with the #1 neck which to me is beginning to feel a bit cramped. If I could find a used one with a #3 neck that isn't insanely priced I'd probably bite. I did almost go for a legacy about a week ago but got distracted at the end of the auction and missed it.

I use CL quite a bit, but kind of have fits & starts with it. I don't fancy myself a collector of anything so once I stop using something I either donate it or sell it, stuff that I think will sell with minimal hassle I may put on CL for a while, but after a couple weeks I'm more happy just to reduce the clutter.

Pretty much anything that gets remastered I gobble up. I guess I do collect music, and I have accumulated 200GB of it. I also keep it in mp3 format too, so about 1/4 TB total.

Also, count me in as a happy owner of Live at Leeds.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I found the board in 2000, but didn't join until 2002.

I still search the local craigslist for G&Ls, but I'm pretty set for them right now. The last guitar I bought was from GC a week ago, a closeout special on a Martin D-18GE sunburst. Sweet guitar. Got a lot of good deals from Guitar Center this year.

I thought Andy Timmons' remake of Sgt. Pepper's was BRILLIANT. Check it out.

Nice guitars!

Bill

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I had a half of a Club sandwich and chef salad today , it was the lunch special today

I thought Jake played a Invader or Legacy Deluxe with bridge humbucker ?? ..... I had Umphreys McGee recorded on Palidia but it's not on there now to look it up

I like the guitar builder for sure !! ... been trying to stay off of that bugger .... I look ebay , Craigs list and GC daily ...... I bought my 1996 S500 from ebay but about the time I worked out a offer he had it here on the Market place ...... I got my beautiful 2000 Comanche off of the local Craigs list just 18 miles from the house ...... bought my Cavalier from the market place here and paying on a maple board Broadcaster from the Market ...... bought two new ones from the local G & L dealer along with a 1998 ASAT Classic and a couple Ibanez Mikro's , have a new ASAT Deluxe Buck Owens on order from Seattle Guitar store and the LE2 from Music Source ....... I would say I spread the "love" around .... I would like a Fallout but I'm getting at the end of the collection

I came across this board from a thread on another web site early this year trying to educate myself on witch Strat, I was already looking at Fenders strats when I found out about G & L from the other site .... sold my only Fender after only having it a couple months when my new Legacy came in ..... I'm so glad I didn't order a new Fender American Standard , I was so close to ordering when I discovered G & L and I don't even look at the new Fenders anymore

I would like to try a ASAT with arm and belly cut , your guitars look beautiful

Eric

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Didn't have the Subway after all, but made up for it with BBQ tonight. FULL belly now. :yawn:

Ldavaz - sorry to hear about the online issues, maybe Darth or someone in the G&L camp will see your post and help straighten it out. :searching: I like the trade approach, tried doing a tele trade for ASAT two weeks ago, unfortunately they were in need of cash.

Bloodied - love the music collection, I bought a TB hard drive just for music and like you it is between 1/4 and 1/2 total. Sounds like I need to get Live at Leeds, I love The Who. I read last week that Roger and Pete are going to finally do one last Who tour. "last" tour he says and the first farewell tour was 1982 :lol:

Boogie Bill - was not aware of Andy Timmons Sgt. Pepper I will check it out. Post pics of the D-18GE that does sound like a beauty. :happy0065:

Eric - you sure are spreading the G&L jam, be sure and post NGD pics of the Buck Owens, thanks for the kind comments on my ASAT CC. Found a picture of Jake and his S-500

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:03 am

sorry late report...lunch was a club sandwich after a lovely round of golf. Especially happy since I played well, for a change.

I bought my first G&L, blues boy, on a recommendation from my guitar teacher and I knew a friend who had a music store in Alberta. I called him and he said he could order G&Ls, he was a dealer but didn't stock many. So, I ordered the blues boy and I love it more today.......

After that, I found this site, and I enjoy reading it every day.

I like the builder but I stay away....not looking right now and don't want to be tempted!

I have been watching a lefty S-500 that keeps getting listed. Its interesting, it has some scratches and a few small dings, but the guy puts it on for a low starting bid with a very reasonable BIN. He never gets any bids and I have seen the listing come and go several times. I wonder what's wrong with it that no one bids.....

Alf

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:04 am

astutzmann wrote:I wonder what's wrong with it that no one bids.....
its a lefty? :D

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 am

1) when did you find the GLDP?
I knew G&L for a long time, as the Legacy had great reviews in France back in the 90's when they had Duncan SSL in it. I kept the brand name in the back of my mind. I found G&LDP around 2004/2005 if my memory is right. I think I became a member in 2007/2008 it was still the old forum then.

2) what have you bought, or what G&L stuff do you want to buy?
I bought my S-500 prototype 6 months ago, so I need to wait a little bit.
But I seriously want more, without any order : an S-500 dlx in swamp ash w/maple board, a Legacy HB2 tobacco burst with maple cap, black p-guard, an ASAT special SH with bigsby.... a Broadcaster.

I NEED to wait !

3) How about WEB G&L shopping, where do you go?

I shopped once on proguitarshop, but they seem not to be sustaining G&L as they did.
My S-500 was at the seattle guitar store and I had a nice experience with them.

I listen to a lot of jazz and blues music, so reissues with bonus tracks are common, and usually very good
I totally agree with the CTI stuff being top notch (the freddie hubbard records on CTI are unbelievable) all the reissues from all the period of Miles are pretty good too.

that's it.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Ldavaz wrote:G&L Online--well since you asked, I'm not too happy. I bought the set screws for my 1991 ASAT locking saddle bridge, got the wrong ones, and there is NO ONE and NO WAY to get this straightened out. All in, I'm out $10 and spent 1/2 hour in their voicemail system yesterday. Just awful. Anyone have any ideas? I recently bought brass saddles for a '98 ASAT, and it worked well, but no chance of error there. HELP!

Les, I contacted Dave about your problem.
I found out that you and Jose traded emails about this yesterday and that the
correct kit was sent out today. It seems that you had ordered the incorrect kit
after receiving the kit, found out that a previous owner had replaced the bridge to a post-2005 one.
You should expect to see the replacement order early next week.

Just to clarify about ordering from the G&L OnLine Store: you will receive an email
confirming your order. Any further correspondence should be done using the email address
from the confirmation email.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: