Lunch Report Tue-11/26- Changes

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 pm

No report so here goes. I had Chicken Noodle soup for lunch. I never get tired of it.

Edit, sorry about the wrong date and I can't edit it.. I am only a week off. At least it is Tuesday. Retirement isn't easy

Times are always changing but musically I stay pretty much the same. I have changed more than I realize after looking at things.

First topic. I used to be a Strat type guy. I now love the Asats especially with the tummy and forearm cut. This has happened in the last 5 years. Have you experienced changes in body style preferences?

Secondly, I was not impressed with the Fallouts when they were first announced. I already had an SC-2 that I really like. The Fallout has really grown on me. I wish they had one without a pickguard like the SC-2 but I will probably buy one with the P90. What are your thoughts on the Fallout?

Pickups have always been a great subject for discussion. Many have Asat classics, others like the Legacy and I am surprised by the low number of Z coils guitars. Now we have the Alnicos in the Asats, the P90s in other models. The Blues boys have certainly been a hit although some don't like them. I find all the G&L pickups very good and it is fun to try all types. For those of us who have a definite preference for an earlier version, have you tried these new pickups? I have changed my mind with some of the new offerings and happen to like the Alnicos. Which of the new offerings have you tried and what did you think?

What are your thoughts on the blowouts recently of the Ascari models by MF. Some of you bought them and I have not played one, only looked and do not prefer short scale necks.
I played my Hamer Newport yesterday which is a short scale and it really felt good. I am rethinking this scale thing as I get older. What are your opinions of the Ascari and the success of them?

What are your thoughts on guitar weights? I will be 71 next spring and really appreciate lighter weight guitars, especially Bass guitars. I haven't noticed any noticeable difference in resonance or sustain in the G&Ls that I own. The hollow body Asats sound just as good to me as the heavier ones and I have been selling the heavier ones for lighter weight guitars.

I am impressed with the Bigsby models that have been purchased by members here recently. I think that the Bigsbys are maligned a bit as there are many that have not been installed properly in the aftermarket. They were very popular at one time and are still used by several manufacturers. What are your thoughts on the Bigsby and have you used one?

Thats my story for today and Bill commented on the LR participation yesterday. I really enjoy LRs from the new members and it is fun to see what you folks are thinking. It is also great to see some old members back. They are very knowledgeable on G&Ls. So, the open forum is a great way for you to let us know what you are thinking.-- Darwin
Last edited by Craig on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin corrected the date in the Subject

Re: Lunch Report Tue-11/26- Changes

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Darwin,

Thanks for jumping in.

I would still call myself a strat guy, but more and more I find myself playing my Gibson LP Tribute. This is (a) because it's chambered, therefore light (b) the shorter scale length feels more comfortable and easier to play, and (c) the sound of a clean LP straight into an amp is a thing of unexpected beauty.

Re. the Fallouts, I have mocked up over a half dozen of them on the AG&B generator. This is my current favourite colour combo - ruby red metallic with a black guard.

I'm absolutely on board with the overall design and pick-up combination, but considering how expensive a USA model is in these parts I'd really like to try one first. For that reason I'll probably end up with a Tribute Fallout as there's less of an investment in buying sight unseen.

I'm undecided on the Ascari but I like the thought of G&L having a shorter scale guitar in the range. A shorter scale Fallout would be plenty of fun!

Like you, I also gravitate towards lighter instruments. Playing a guitar is enough of a challenge without fighting against its weight at the same time.

Re: Lunch Report Tue-11/26- Changes

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 pm

I would like to try a ASAT with fore arm cut and belly cut as I'm sure I would like it , the SC 2 has too be the most comfortable just from the smallest shape size and weight , I like them all so far

I love the Fallout and want one , I like the PG and everything ...... If I had not got into a LE 2 I would all ready have a Fallout now

I like all the G & L pu's too ..... or it least the ones I have now

I would like to have a Ascari and a Fiorano to replace my LP copy ..... and will someday , I think these specials deals are great ... maybe next year they will have the same deal and I will be ready

How could anybody NOT like a lighter guitar , the Fallout , SC 2 and LE 2 wins again

I can hardly wait for my ASAT Deluxe with bigsby to get here !!! ..... it will be my first Bigsby and I bet it will be my favorite guitar , but I say that about them all

thanks for the LR , Eric