Lunch Report- Monday November 25, 2013

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Lunch: I brought a Burrito from home and heated it in the microwave here at work. That coupled with an iced tea is today's mid-day meal.

I know that this board is taking a back seat to a lot of us spending more time on Facebook and Twitter. I have been too busy at home and work to be a regular poster myself but I do like to stop by on occasion. It is sad to see that the entire month of November has been open mike. I know that I miss the involvement of the old crew in this board and I don't think it is the format but competing technology as well as people just moving on with their lives that has changed the G&LDP.

Here are some questions for general discussion:

Which G&L model would be your favorite guitar/bass to use to try out amps?

What is your routine when bringing home a new amp? Break-in period?

How sensitive are you to the type of speaker you are playing through?

What is your favorite size speaker- 10, 12, 15? Cabs- closed or open back?

Have you ever loaned a guitar or amp to someone and then lived to regret it?

What is the best sounding amp rig that you own?

What is the best sounding amp rig that you have ever tried?

I await your responses.

-bassman

Re: Lunch Report- Monday November 25, 2013

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:24 pm

1... my favorite guitar would have to be the SC2 or ASAT Classic to try amps out all though I've never done it that way

2... I never had a new amp ..... are you supposed to break them in ?? ...... all though when my Amp tech re-tubed my Peavey Classic 30 he said he broke-in the tubes at something either low volt or watt for so many hours not sure , fairly new to electric's and there is so much too learn it can be overwelming

my favorite rig has to be my 1976 Fender Super Reverb along with my SC 2 , the 10 inch speakers sound good when there is four of them , my peavey a single 12 IIRC and it sounds good to me as next best , my 1971 Kustom Sidewinder SS is a 15 inch and it sounds good for a SS so it comes in third , my Line 6 spyder 15 sounds terrible and its dead last .... my Vox AC4TV is tube but it just doesn't have a full sound like the Super Reverb , Peavey and Kustom , so the Vox comes in fourth but it's still a neat little amp

thats all I got to offer ,nice lunch report !! , Eric

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm

A Legacy, usually. But testing with a Comanche, Legacy Special and a 2HB like my ASAT Deluxe is helpful. The Mesas sound good wih every guitar I've ever tried them with.

Ten to twenty hours before gigging is smart.

I like and use a lot of different speakers...EVMs, Mesa C-90s, Vintage 30s. If it sounds good,...

I like 12s. Both open and closed back cabs are good, but my fave is using both, like my Mesa Mark combos on top of the Mesa Theile cab, or the Mesa Half-Back 212 and 412 cabs.

Yes, I loaned my c.1972 Univox Les Paul copy to a young friend and it was stolen from him at college. I really miss that guitar.

I like all of my Mesa amps. I have two Mark III combos, a Mark IV combo, a DC-3 combo, a Maverivk 212 combo and a Mark III half-stack. My newest is a Mark V combo, and I will be using it for the first time on a New Year's Eve gig. Great sounding amp.

I really feel like I've found MY tone with these amps.

Bill

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 am

I think my Legacy Special is the most honest.

Like already posted, I've never had a new amp. My "newest" amp is a 1980 Fender 75

Hell yes. I'm yanking out the original Electro Voice out of that 75 right now. I've learned my lesson. I also have 2 JBL 130 series 15" speakers doing nothing because they just didn't sound right.

All my stuff is in cabs and I only have 12's in them all except the '58 Silvertone which doesn't count. He has a Weber 8".

No, but I did lend a vintage Electro Harmonix and crazy cool Morley Tel Ray pedal that never made it home.

Probably my Legacy Special through my '66 Deluxe Reverb. My other guitars and amps are great, but those two love each other.

Mine sounds pretty damn good, but years ago my buddy let me play his old Les Paul Jr. loaded with P-90's of course, through his old Vox AC-30. I gotta tell ya', that sounded pretty good.

Thanks, y'all have a good night.
Larry

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:29 am

Nice to see a lunch report Bassman. They have been few recently. I know people are busy and many don't have time. It also seems there is a lack of interest. It is really good to see the newbies and a few old timers have returned. I have watched some other forums and this is still the best I have watched for electrics.

I really like the vintage tone and it would be my Alnico Launch Edition. The Z-3 with the WR bridge would also be an excellent candidate.

I haven't bought a new amp in a long time. Some would say a speaker breaks in but I haven't experienced that.

I have tried many amps and most sound good. When you find one that makes you say wow, that is the one. I find that these have all had 15" speakers for me. I now will only buy a 15.

Nope, Ii don't do that as I know it can be the end of a friendship.

My 77 Fender Vibrasonic Reverb 15 with a JBL. It is awesome to me.

Probably the one that I own. II have tried boutique amps never found one that went wow to me. I am a clean player so overdrive isn't something that I look at. I think that is probably harder to get than a good clean.

My answers would be different if we were talking bass.

Good questions Bill.--Darwin

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm

It is a shame about the decreased interest in the G&LDP of late, hopefully it will pick up again soon.

A Bluesboy. My favourite G&L.

Bring it home, turn it on, play it. Never even heard of breaking in a new amp before!

As long as it sounds good I don't care really. I have found that I favour amps with Celestion greenbacks in them.

See above. I do like the extra thump from a closed back 412, but can't think of a situation I'm likely to be in when I need one - unfortunately :D

Not a guitar, but other stuff, sure. Some people just cannot be trusted.

My Sherlock Vintage reverb 30. I traded my SC2 away for a Hughes and Kettner Puretone combo a couple of weeks ago, and that thing sounds great too, but its a 112 and so lacks a little of the bottom end found in the 212 Sherlock.

That's a tough one. I used a Bogner amp at a gig a while back that was excellent, and I can't find anything wrong with the Fender labelled the 'Twin Amp', the one with a dirty channel. The reissues seem to lack grunt, warmth and sparkle in comparison

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:02 pm

I think people are just busy. It is US thanksgiving after all. This is by far the best guitar forum that I have run across.

I would use my SC-2 for any testing/tryouts . I just have the two G&L but I love my SC-2 ( its tuned to open E right now )

I only have one amp . It sounds great to me. I did put a Celestion G10 vintage in it and it sure pumped the volume up. Break in period ? nah

The stock speaker in my amp was ok but I changed it so I guess I like good sounding speakers.

Favorite speaker size? Mine is a 10 so thats what I like. My brother had a Fender 75 with a 15 in it. Very , very loud. It sounded great.

I got burned "lending " an amp out. Won't do that again. Ever.

I have only owned three amps in my life. One was a solid state, it actually sounded good. Current amp is a Fender superchamp XD that I retubed and juiced up with the G10 vintage. It serves me well.

The best amp I ever tried was one called a Wizard. I can't remember the wattage, but it was hooked up to a wizard cab with four 10's in it . Can't say I know what the speakers were but that thing could shake a house down. The tones you could get out of it were incredible, all just by spinning some knobs. Great cleans too, talk about clarity. It was obscenely expensive

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Bill,

I've noticed patronage of the site dropping off over the last month or 2 as well. Personally speaking, I'm more likely to be outside doing something active rather than browsing the net now the weather is getting better and the days are longer. I've also got some newer non G&L guitars that I'm spending some quality time with, so there's not quite the focus on G&L that I've had in the past.

I use my ASAT Special for any amp testing. The big MFD's are quite neutral sounding and cover a wide frequency response. This lets me hear the voicing of the amp without too much colouration from the instrument itself.

I've never heard of breaking in an amp, but the Celestion Greenback speaker in my Vox AC15 took forever to smooth out. I've never had that experience with another speaker.

I don't have any preference for particular speaker types, but the Eminence Private Jack I put in my Fender Blues Jnr sounds superb. I like single 12" speakers or 2x10".

I once loaned my Ovation acoustic guitar to my brother and it came back with about 1/3 of the top de-laminated from the plastic bowl. A very good luthier glued it back on and it's been stable for the last 20 years, but I've learned my lesson about lending.

My Vox AC15 is the best sounding rig I own to my ears. Surprisingly, it doesn't sound as good as my Blues Jr when recorded. Maybe there is some secret technique required for mic'ing up the Vox that I'm not aware of?

The bass player in a band I was in had an old Fender Bassman that he used with his Music Man. :roll: He seemed completely oblivious to its status as one of the Holy Grail guitar amps. It sounded like someone far, far better than me was playing when I plugged my strat into it. I thought briefly about stealing it but it was too heavy to move without a crane.