Lunch Report Mon 11-11 Is This Mojo???

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:24 pm

This has been my project today and I may as wel make it a LR. I had a great ham sandwich with chips for lunch. Grandaughter Madison was here today. Great time.

This can be G&L topic. Show us you best example of mojo. This is new territory for me but here is the story. I ended up having an Eminence 15 Big Ben laying around that was mostly new. I had taken it out of my 76 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb as I put an original JB Lansing DF130 in it. I had been on the watch for an unloaded 15 inch cabinet. Last week a couple of unloaded 15 inch cabinets showed up the local CL. One single cabinet and one double. I contacted the young fellow and met him on Saturday. He wanted $25 each and I only needed one. We negotiated and I took both of them for $35. We into some serious money here!. Ginny looked at them and asked me if I was becoming a junk dealer. They are both well constructed from wood and older than dirt. They have square head bolts nuts iside the cabinet. I took the single cabinet today and loaded it with the Big Ben. It fit like a glove. I gave it a test along side the JBL. The JBL has better highs, the mid are very similar and the Big Ben has a bit more lower end. When plugged in as an extension speaker, the JBL is louder in the highs and the Big Ben in the lows, with very similar mids. The cabinet is enclosed with a opening in the front above the speaker. I told Ginny it is a diamond in the rough. Here are some photos of this beauty. I will probably refinish or cover it next spring. If you notice on the back side, someone was proud enough to put their name on it.

I looked at and tried a Fallout with the P90 last week and played it uplugged for a while. A very light, nice feeling instrument. I could end up with one. It had a tummy cut and was a Baby Blue color. Have any of you tried them and if you have one , show us a pic and let us know what you think. Have a great evening-- Darwin

Re: Lunch Report Mon 11-11 Is This Mojo???

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:19 pm

That cabinet looks great, especially the castors! It reminds me a lot of an Ulbrick amp.

Not tried or seen a Fallout, but those P90s are great sounding pickups.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey Darwin,

I have an early marshall 2x12 that i have had since i was 16.... It looks pretty much like your "new" cabinet - plenty of Mojo :)

I missed trying a Fallout by a few minutes a couple of weeks ago. The g&l dealer came into the local shop about 5 mins after i had left! He had some samples with him.. Including a Fullerton Red Fallout. Maybe its just as well i didn't play it - It would probably be on the wall......

Scott

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks guys, so much for mojo. --Darwin

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 am

my Cavalier has some mojo , otherwise my stuff is pretty decent

I like the Fallout !! ... with the LE 2 coming we'll have to see on the Fallout , I really need too stay off of the Market Place , ebay and CL for awhile ...lol

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I am excited about the LE-2 and the Fallout. I sold my P-90 loaded Korina Jr II. I liked the pups, but no belly or forearm cut i just could not abide. I need to stay off the PSA thread. Last time I took a peek, an Ascari GT-90 showed up on my door step a few days later. Tried it out today, speedy neck, tone similar to Jr. II, but not as much sizzle. A very cool piece for sure. The long awaited WR is arriving this week!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Jag, I also like the tummy and belly cuts. I am glad the Ascari was sold out when I checked that evening. I was close to pulling the trigger. Tuesday I had to use restraint on the Fallout I have been lusting over. I was offered a deal almost impossible to refuse. I thought about it for two days and declined. If it hadn't had a satin neck it may have come home. I can't have them all! Let us know when you get the WR.

Fumble, these forums and buying sites are dangerous. I still cruise CL everyday but seldom if ever look at e-bay. It is good for pricing and research. It isn't easy for us guys who really like guitars.-- Darwin