Early Morning Lunch Report Tuesday 10/29

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:01 am

Good Morning everyone, Since there wasn't a report yesterday I thought I would throw a quick one out there while I have a few minutes.

Lunch, as you know I am a midnight guy and my lunch break is around 4am. Lunch tonight was a bowl of mixed fruit. Had a good dinner earlier and so I am just eating on the go tonight.

G&L: I am constantly scouring the internet looking at guitars for sale, or reading about guitars. A problem I have is I usually end up wanting everything! :oops: I am always looking at G&L's for sale new and used. When I see something interesting I will look them up on GGJaguar's page, and then look them up on the Registry. Recently, I have seen a few Skyhawk's come up for sale and one of them really got my attention. It was a mid 80's with clear red finish. I resisted the temptation to go after it because I am staying focused on getting a Fallout after the Holidays. I've never had the pleasure to try one or hear one, but I'm curious, any Skyhawk owner's on here? I'm curious to hear your opinions of them.

Anyone else have this problem? You have plans to buy a particular guitar but keep getting sidetracked when you unexpectedly come across something else for sale?

Non G&L: After my recent Lunch Reporter duties, I chose the BBE Mind Bender pedal based on Tim's recommendation. I wasn't too sure about it because I already have a MXR Chorus. After trying it out for a couple of weeks now, I am really glad I got it. It is a fantastic pedal. I like using it with the Pod's AC30 setting. Very warm and chimey tone. Even my pink Rampage has a nice, full tone on a clean setting. The vibrato setting is also a lot of fun to mess around with. Anyone else tried the Mind Bender? If you haven't I recommend you give it a try.

Have a great day everyone,
Dave

Re: Early Morning Lunch Report Tuesday 10/29

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:53 am

Rampage ,
Firstly I think you are one of the coolest cats on the planet . Anyone who collects Rampages really has their life sorted .
To answer your question , I think it's about plans and goals verses something that randomly comes into your life .The hard part is deciding what is best at the time . In my experience it is best to trust your gut . it's a primitive thing and knows better then the rational brain. A fine collector around here Josey Wales once offered me an incredible Skyhawk that Gabe said he has all the G&L 's he needs but he is tempted by it . Sadly I couldn't buy it and I think of that guitar as the one that got away .

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 am

No lunch yet but it will be fresh grapes, diced carrots, cheese & crackers.

I sometimes go searching for something and eventually back off after not finding it. Then I may pause or start working on something else. Sometimes I will take a path that leads to to something I had not wanted when I first saw it. Chances are that thing is no longer available when I start wanting it. I have wanted specific things, often pretty nice things, but have ended up with more along the lines of meat and potatoes. It hasn't been that I end up settling for less. I just end up where the buying ducks line up for something more basic. For instance I would like to have some form of ASAT with binding and maybe a flame top, possibly a birdseye neck, or maybe just a very nice grain and finish. My guitars are all plain by comparison.

I have not tried any G&L or BBE pedals. Can you post a sample of you playing your Rampage(s) using this Mind Bender? I know there must be Youtube videos of one but that's not as fun.

BTW, do all of those Rampages in your avatar have ebony necks?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 am

RampageFan wrote:G&L:

Anyone else have this problem? You have plans to buy a particular guitar but keep getting sidetracked when you unexpectedly come across something else for sale?

All of the time.

RampageFan wrote:Non G&L: After my recent Lunch Reporter duties, I chose the BBE Mind Bender pedal based on Tim's recommendation.

I went for the Mind Bender too! I received mine yesterday. It's been interesting to A/B it against my Sioux, K-D chorus pedal.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks for the early report Dave.

I used to be on the bay every day. It was especially good for doing research. I now seldom use it. My weakness has become the MPLs CL as it has some good things now and then. The prices are crazy on some of the things but you have to make the sweet deals if you want them. I saw a 90 Fender PJ bass yesterday that I would buy in a heartbeat but no more 4 strings. I miss that low "B" that seems to fill in the perfect note. I have also had many planned deals go south by something that just showed up.

I do not have the Mind Bender, choosing a Two Timer last time. I have only tried it once. The pedals that I have are cool but I seldom use them. -- Darwin

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:23 am

I seem to look all the time and I want everything ..lol... there is a nice ASAT III on Cinci CL bowling ball red with a gold G & L logo on the upper horn with Gototh (sp?) pick ups thats been killing me ... but there is a bigger picture keeping me from pursuing it plus he didn't respond before a big black tele looking thing showed up in the Market place .... is the Skyhawk the one fron Don's pawn shop ??.... he's fairly local to you and me and it looks like a real beauty with all the candy

I just bought quite a few BBE pedals but haven't been able to try them out yet , just waiting to get the house to myself .... I look foward to trying the Mindbender , I got the sonic stomp from my LR

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 am

Distractions:
I'm constantly getting distracted by guitars or basses. Since I focus 100% on older instruments, I'm always in wait-and-see mode. I try to keep funds available in case one of my watch-list G&Ls show up for sale, but if I pull the trigger on something else instead it's not a big disruption.

Skyhawks:
I have a mid-80s Skyhawk and an '83 Nighthawk. They are my favorite Strat-type guitars. The Nighthawk is definitely maple, and I suspect the Skyhawk is too. They both have a very clear sound - think vintage Strat - and are wonderful in the in-between positions.

BBE pedals:
I haven't tried the Mind Bender. My Moog Cluster Flux covers all of my chorus/flanger/vibrato needs and then some. I got a Sonic Stomp for my last LR week, and was blown away by how it made my guitars sound through the Blues Junior. The other pedals I've gotten for LR duties (a Bouble Barrel boost and a Bench Press compressor) don't get much playing time at all.

Ken

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am

Two poached eggs and toast for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch I think.

There are many distractions. The main thing I do is compromise. I like the Fallouts, but I think I would buy a Leo SC-2 instead now. I really like the SC body shape and the Leo era's have really grown on me. All of this is moot because I intend to buy golf clubs in the new year. Unless of course I find a guitar I cannot resist, then I will trim some of the Golf club budget. I'm doing well though, playing more than looking and am satisfied with what I own now. I'm about half way there with Weezer's "Say it ain't so " which I will get back to after I post this.

I have never played or seen a Skyhawk in the flesh. Leo SC-2 will come first.

I do not own any BBE pedals. I have a Boss RC-2 Loop Station and a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone that I built a few years ago.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 pm

glvourot wrote:
I do not own any BBE pedals. .

sounds like a good reason to a LR week :clap:

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 pm

At any given moment there are at least a couple of guitars for sale that I'd like to buy. I've been wanting something with two humbuckers for ages now and could have had one but ended up with a new LB100 and an entire bass rig instead :oops:

Vibrato is my favourite effect, and I'd love to try the Mind Bender. I use a Behringer ultra-vibrato at the moment which sounds excellent, but I have doubts about its longevity. I don't think I'd get much use out of the chorus side of the Mind Bender, although it could be nice for playing some of the African stuff I've been listening to recently. My fave BBE pedal is the Tremor, and the Buckshot is a good tube-screamer type pedal if you're into that sort of thing. I did have a Sonic Stomp at one point but got rid of it a long time ago, I found it worked wonders with some amps and did nothing for others.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, nice to see I'm not the only one who gets sidetracked! My problem is I'm fascinated with G&L's history. I want to try all of them. I love the classic look of the Leo era guitars, and I'm envious of the newer G&L's you guys own and share here on GBL. I'm trying to stay focused because I do want to order a brand new one. There was an '84-85 Superhawk that ended on Ebay today that was in really rough shape. I thought about it all week. I was looking at finish options and new Kahler's for it. But decided to pass and stay the course. But now I'm already kicking myself for it! :crazy:

Salmon, I don't know how to post videos, but I will look into it. I would be curious to get your guys opinions on my tone. And Fumble it right, you may think about signing up for the Lunch Reporter duty, and check out one of the pedals they offer. And yes, all of my Rampages have an ebony board.

Sprinter, I have been impressed with the Mind Bender so far. I like it with a subtle setting.

Fumble, yes that is the same Skyhawk. He sold it last week on Ebay. It was a nice looking guitar.

KenC: Thanks for the feedback on the Skyhawk. That is a guitar that I may add on my watch list

glvourot, I am gassing bad for a Fallout. Especially since Craig confirmed the push/pull coil split! But you can't go wrong with a SC2 either!... And Weezer! I love Weezer. I had them cranked on the Ipod a few hours ago! Good taste in music there!

Blarg: I'm on the opposite end from you, I've never owned a single coil only guitar, and that is why I'm interested in an ASAT! The Mind Bender is my first experience with a vibrato, and I am enjoying it so far. I would recommend that pedal if you ever get the chance.

Thanks again everyone, I'm off to work now.
Dave

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 pm

it's back on ebay , re-listed right now ...... I have two 3 bolt necks 96 and 84 and four 4 bolt necks that are 98 , 2000 , 013 and 013 , The 4 bolt-er's are pretty sweet , so far I think I like them better than the three bolt'ers ( I'm talking the whole guitar in general not just the neck , thats how I catagorize them by number of neck bolts ) , don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a new one , you'll like it

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 pm

RampageFan wrote:I don't know how to post videos, but I will look into it. I would be curious to get your guys opinions on my tone.

Video would be nice but audio is sufficient. Just record a digital file and upload it to a free Soundcloud account. If you don't have the software Audacity is free. It might take some thought as in how to capture the sound. I think you mentioned a Pod. I don't know which model or much about any model. Does your model have USB audio or a headphone jack?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Fumble: Thanks! I missed the relisting. I may have to drive there and check it out.

Salmon, thanks for the tips, I've already started checking Audacity out. I will work on it this weekend.

Tim: Thanks for your input on the Skyhawk. Looks like a very interesting guitar. And I enjoy your posts. I appreciate your history with G&L, and it's obvious you really know what you're talking about. So it shouldn't surprise you that I, and many people here value your input here! And the Mind Bender is a really cool pedal.

Thanks,
Dave