22nd October Lunch Report

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Didn't see one yet and I have a few more minutes.

Lunch: Cheese omelet, fresh tomato and whole wheat toast

G&L ?: The rustic/Road Worn concept- Appearance aside, has anyone played one? In theory these ought to feel really good to play. Somehow the patterns that would be made like footprints and trails should fit the way one would be played. Just how that could ever be done artificially baffles me but I would like to try one. I don't go for the worn look. However, I can understand that once you have been bitten these could appeal to people, especially younger musicians.

Non G&L ?: bridging the G&L topic, sincerity in an endorsement is tough to convey for some people. Others are a wealth of words as they come up with endless ideas in which to praise everything placed in front of them. I think these two guys are very skilled musicians. This video seems to place them at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to endorsements. Doug seems to be struggling with the endorsement. It seems as if he was abducted and a guitar placed in his hands and a camera turned on. Hiland almost has trouble coming up with something (a rarity).

I just think it is interesting that the person/people behind the product would upload this. It doesn't sell the guitar as far as I am concerned. I am interested in the riffing but neither convince me they are truly impressed.

[youtube]1ABZ5KLmCV8[/youtube]

[youtube]SY0nSNb0m5s[/youtube]

Re: 22nd October Lunch Report

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi Salmon, thanks for covering the report today!

I've only been up for an hour, so no lunch yet for me. I usually eat my lunch around 4am, so it will be something light.

I've never had any interest in the rustic guitars. If I buy a brand new guitar I want it to be case fresh, and I can relic it myself over the years. I love seeing guitars that a person has owned for many years and the guitar has worn naturally over time. When I got my pink Rampage back after being lost for 20 years, there was finish checking all over the body, front and back. At first it disappointed me when I saw all the checking, but now I love it, it gives it a lot of honest character.

I don't pay any attention to endorsements unless it is an artist who is endorsing a guitar that they are known for, and have played the instrument for years and praised it in interviews before they were being paid. A couple examples off the top of my head, Ace Frehley and Gibson Les Pauls, Jerry Cantrell and the Rampage.

Thanks,
Dave

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 am

I haven't seen a Rustic, but I think the Fender Custom Shop Relics and Closet Classics are the best guitars they make. While I generally like guitars with a new appearance, a well-played vintage guitar can have a wonderful feel. If a manufacturer can capture that, why not?

I do pay attention to endorsements, but the bottom line is that it has to work FOR ME. And I'm the onky one that can make that determination.

Bill

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:28 am

The Road Worn Fenders I've played have been, without exception, fantastic. However, they cost the same here as a brand new American G&L, and I'm not keen on the relic'd thing so I don't own one.

That Kelton Swade guy is infamous for doing a disappearing act with peoples money, or so I've heard... As for endorsements, I don't think I'd put much stock in them. I think the Buddy Guy strats with the polka dots on them are dead good, and I still kick myself for not buying an inverse one with black dots on a white background that I once played in a shop in Germany.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 am

Salmon, I agree that the demo is not too convincing as a marketing tool.

I am not into relics. They are great for people who want them but I probably will not be one of them. I have looked at some G&L rustics and they look like just plain beat up guitars to me. I do everything I can to prevent the bridges and hardware from rusting. Why would I buy a rusty one, besides it would not fit in on the wall.

I do have some endorsed guitars but bought them used at a good price. I do notice what artists are playing. If G&L would make a 5 string Asat bass, I would be happy to endorse it!!!! -- Darwin :shocked028: