Saturday Lunch Report 10/19/2013

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Lunch: Carolina pulled pork sandwich. A Carolina pulled pork sandwich has slaw on it and a vinegar based BBQ sauce.

Guitars: What is your preferred guitar nut material? I prefer bone or brass.

Concerts: Have you been to any good shows lately? I rarely go to concerts but I recently saw Here Come the Mummies. It was the best show I've ever seen. Their musicianship and showmanship are incredible.

I apologize for the brief and late Lunch Reports this week. The week has been busy and crazy. Hopefully, the next time I do LR duty it will be better.

Re: Saturday Lunch Report 10/19/2013

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm all for synthetic nuts . I had to rethink nut,straps,and glues since visiting Veganville .

question: Would you like your parts to be used musically after life?
After I'm done with them, I'd donate my bones for nut material , that'd be a cool legacy.

No new live shows.
I saw this last week, these guys are tight!

[youtube]UjlfjuUXCUo[/youtube]

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Slaw: Not a fan generally but there is this exotic Latin restaurant several miles away run by a couple of chefs who have gathered recipes from all over the world and they serve the best slaw I have tasted, in a taco of all things, YUM!

Nut material: I am choosing a Graphtec nut in my special order because it seems to be preferred and it is only a few dollars more but mainly because its color fits aesthetically with the design of my guitar.

Concerts: Relatively recent and memorable concerts have been Peter Gabriel, Paul McCartney and Sarah McLachlan. Paul is still the Paul we remember from all of the old clips though his singing voice has been strained no more than that of his days as Wings. Gabriel and McLauchlan share a very comfortable rapport with their audiences. Gabriel strikes me as very intelligent as he speaks to others as peers and not as a mass of "the fans." He seems to be unadulterated on stage.

Love the Skaggs/Hornsby performance.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:28 am

Hey Sprinter, good to see you up and a cool week of questions and answers. Been a busy week here too so I’m just playing catch up.

Guitars you can’t sell. I have a couple that my father passed on to me – one is a year younger than me and the other a good few older. Only place they will be going is to my son.

Cars. I have a friend who’s a mechanic and he’s done all our cars for the past 28 years.

Concerts. A couple of weeks back we had some chill out time in the South West and were lucky enough to be able to catch Lloyd Spiegel’s current tour while we were in Margaret River. Great player and entertainer and one of the most aggressive guitar players I know.
[youtube]sn5BdgolNAQ[/youtube]

Community.
Having a finance background I ended up being co-opted as Treasurer for numerous School and Sporting Boards and Committees as the Kids grew up. These days the band performs at a couple of charity shows each year.

I work in the admin side of a large and diverse health service provider. A few years back because of my connections in music circles I got involved in developing a mental health promotion and awareness project aimed at helping young people recognise and deal with mental health issues. The goal was to have the musicians that kids listen to talk to them about their own experiences with mental health issues like depression and self-esteem. The project has been pretty successful and the hardest part has been stepping back as the program has been handed over to a youth oriented organisation to maintain. http://www.musicfeedback.com.au/about/

Cheers, Robbie

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:12 am

Lunch, chicken noodle soup, nice for a cold day...it was 40 degrees and raining here.

Nuts: I'm not fussy with the nuts as long as they are cut right and give me low action. I hate the plastic ones, but I have bone and graphtec and both are good. With the bone, I use Nut Sauce on it when I change the strings.

Haven't seen any large scale concerts in a while, but a few years ago saw the eagles and bruce springsteen. A few years before that, Billy Joel was in Buffalo.....
My wife and I love to go out to clubs, restaurants that feature local talent. This past weekend, we found a blues festival that's been running for 20+ years, on the same fall weekend. Wow, who knew and we went to an irish pub last night for blues (only 15 minutes from our house). It was awesome, 2 bands, both great!!

Susie Vinnick started the festival on thursday and she was amazing. She has chops and has been awarded with numerous awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxCvZfXIjc

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:14 am

Howdy Steve,

Been pretty busy lately (see answer to your second question) so not been able to participate a lot.

Favorite nut material: bone.

Concerts: I'm participating in the Earshot Jazz Festival, about 35 concerts in 45 days. Have seen some great stuff. On the non-guitar end of things the highlights so far have been Keith Jarrett Trio, Yosvani Terry Quintet, Mehliana, and Dafnis Prieto Si o Si. On the guitar end of things: John Scofield's Überjam II, La Familia Valera-Miranda, and Vinicius Cantuária. And, while not part of the festival, last Sunday I saw Bonnie Raitt, who has a very recognizable great sound on slide. And she had rock solid support of George Marinelli of course. The festival will end with a number of concerts involving Bill Frisell in different settings and I am very much looking forward to that.

Oh, and tonight I'll see Philip Glass in a solo performance ....

- Jos

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am

Just started to participate here again. Great posts this week and I hear you about time...

Bone is very nice, but the micarta or whatever G&L used in the 90's works for me too. Never had a problem there; skills is another story. No concerts lately, but saw the Rockies play a home game. Although there were a few good acts and players in Boulder.

Cheers,

Will

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Steve,

Lunch today is a sour dough sandwich filled with Portuguese lemon chicken and salad.

Nuts: I have guitars with nuts made out of all sorts of material. My favourite is a Graphtec product called TUSQ because I find it gives outstanding tuning stability and ease of bending. It also looks fairly traditional, unlike the standard black Graphtech nuts. I don't buy into the point of view that nut material significantly affects tone. A couple of my guitars have bone nuts, but if they broke I'd replace them with TUSQ.

Concerts: I don't get out much these days. I saw David Byrne & St Vincent a while back and was thoroughly mesmerized with the latin-fusion music and the Brazilian marching band. DB hasn't lost anything over the years. Even a deaf person couldn't fail to be entertained by his interpretive 'dancing'.

Thanks for doing the LR's this week in the face of work overload.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Steve, glad you could make it through such a busy week.

Nut material: Bone is fine but my favorite is the Fender LSR nut. I wish they were made for different radius necks. They really give an open string sound that I like. Once adjusted, they stay and do not seem to wear. I think that metal is a good choice for the nut. Many used to use brass but you don't see them much anymore.

I usually don't go to concerts. Last one I went to a few years back, everyone was standing up, tanked up and noisey. You could not sit and watch the performance. I do like live videos and I buy them when they are available.

I liked the Ricky/Bruce video. Also good to see you back Will.-- Darwin

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:46 am

Concerts: I really enjoyed the They Might Be Giants show in Boise in the last 6 months.

I've been busy and haven't seen anything else since. If only The John Entwistle Band could reappear. If only...