Friday Lunch Report 10/18/2013

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Lunch: Today's lunch was lasagna.

Guitars: G&L, has plenty of neck options. I'd like to see a few different scale lengths offered. I'd like to see a 25" scale offered. Would you be interested in a G&L with a different scale length?

Pedals: What is your favorite type (chorus, flanger, overdrive, compressor etc.) of effect pedal? What brand is the pedal? Do you have a least favorite type of effect pedal? My favorite pedal is the Chorus pedal. I have a Sioux Guitars, K-D chorus pedal that I like a lot. I use Chorus lightly. My least favorite effect is a phasor.

Community Involvement: Are you active in your community? In the past I've been on the county fair board. I was also part of Evening in the West which was a fund raiser for the county museum. For the past few years I've been active with the FFA (Future Farmers of America) Alumni. We do several fund raisers throughout the year. The biggest part of it goes to scholarships for agriculture students. Six years ago we were doing two scholarships per year for $250 each. We now are up to offering four scholarships for $750 each.

Re: Friday Lunch Report 10/18/2013

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 pm

mmmmmmmm lasagna. I had the best lasagna of my life at a dive in Lake Tahoe on a ski trip. Holy cow! That cook knew what they were doing.

Necks: I would like to have the option of a 24.75" neck on ASAT's and Legacy/S500's as opposed to a specific model featuring the scale as its standard.

It seems weird to me that some 25.5" necks can feel closer to 24.75" when they are 25.5". This would be my experience with newer (past 5 years) models. Then again some #1C's feel chunky while others feel closer to slim, this also in newer models. NOTE: I am not comparing the years to anything. I am just stating what I have experienced.

Pedals: Least favorite are wah pedals, flangers and certain phase shifters. Those phasers get different sounds though. I like some Univibes and choruses. Mostly I like simple echo/delays.

Community Involvement: I am happy that people such as yourself exist. I don't have the energy or time to contribute. There are pressing duties calling on me that I do not always get to and I beat myself up for it as it is.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:23 am

I don't think I would be interested in a short scale G&L; I have my Gibson's.

I like most all effects. The trick is to not use them too much and to use them appropriately.

BTW, favorite wah songs would be Cream's "White Room", Bad Company's "Movin' On", and Terry Kath on Chicago's cover od The Spencer Davis' hit "I'm A Man."

I don't participate much in community activities, but Miss Leslie is an elected City Counselor...an unpaid position.

Bill

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:52 am

not sure about the different scales. I had a duesenberg with a 25.5 inch scale and I couldn't get used to it, sold it.

I have some pedals, just don't use them, I like a clean sound for playing around the house.

For 5 years I was on the board of the local Habitat for Humanity. I became chairman. The affiliate was about to shut down, was in debt and struggling. Now it builds 10 houses a year and is in good shape, but it burned us out. A lot of work, a lot of politics and stressful, trying to do the right thing. We basically had to change a mom/pop charity, to running like a business. Again, burned me out.

I was on a business board as well as the board of the local private golf club.

By far the hardest thing I have had to do in my life, was the board work on a golf club. Amazing what dopes exist out there who don't have a clue about running a business and are all in it to boost their own egos and agendas.

So, now I don't do anything for the community. I was asked once to run for city council. I have watched the city council and seen how it has burned people out. No thanks.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:08 am

Guitars: I would love to see a couple of other scale options for G&Ls. I would jump all over a G-200 reissue with a 24.75" neck, and think a 30" scale bass (ideally on an SC-2 or ASAT body) would be a great option for folks with smaller hands, guitarists wanting to try bass, or experienced bassists who like having a short-scale around for the things it can do.

Pedals: More and more I'm into filter effects, but since the B-15 arrived I get a perfect tone running straight into the amp on bass. On guitar, the pedal I've been using most often is the Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass Filter. I mostly just use the filter section on that pedal to shape my tone, without mixing the envelope generator in very far. I've been a fan of good compression on bass too; not to "squish" the tone, but to shape the attack a bit, limit the peaks and give it more sustain than decay. I have no need for a compressor with the B-15, but would still use it with any of my other amps.

The two pedals on my GAS list are both Moogerfoogers: a MURF and a CP-251. The MURF is a bank of filters with a step sequencer. The CP-251 is a control voltage processor. It doesn't make any sounds on its own besides white noise, but it will send complex wave shapes to any pedal that has an expression input.

Community involvement: I had my fill of leadership positions in the Navy, but I'm happy to share expertise whenever I'm needed. Lately that's been limited to helping out at my kids' school. Before I moved to Maryland, I was involved in pandemic planning for the city where I lived and chaired a charity fundraising drive at work. I also played a couple of gigs that were charity fundraisers. When I lived in Maine I was on my county's Local Emergency Planning Committee (planning for hazmat releases and mass casualties), and was a firefighter on my town's all-volunteer department.

Ken

Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:02 pm

+1 on what Ken said about scale length. A G-200 would fill the missing humbucker gap in my guitarsenal very nicely.

Pedals: I've been using a Behringer Vibrato for a while now and love it. Favourite is between that and the BBE Tremor.

I haven't done anything for the community but intend to as I will most likely be moving to a smaller town in the next few months and imagine it'll be a good way to meet people and see the town 'behind-the-scenes'. I've played several charity gigs for drought or flood affected regions of Australia, some of which took a LONG time to get to.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:25 pm

G & L does have the Ascari that 24 3/4 short scale in the Tribute series , P90 and Humbucker ..... I have never seen a tribute series guitar so I don't know what they are like but would like to try the Ascari and Fiorano , Fiorano is a 24 fret with 25 1/2 scale set neck .....

I'm new to pedals so I don't have anything to add just yet about favorites , but I did get a bunch of BBE pedals , I'm happy with the BBE's guitars so I thought I would try there pedals

Haven't done any public service yet , but I do support all the event's on the Local front , my parents make up for what I lack and then some

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Back from the weekend Steve.

I am not looking for any other scales from G&L. I have guitars with the different scales and 25.5 is my favorite anyway. It doesn't make a great difference to me anyway. Shorter scales are easier on the lower frets but they get crowded above the 12 th fret.

I do not use pedals very much. I have amps to do what i want to do. It gets complicated if you have too many pedals and I think effects are sometimes overused. The factory settings on my Fender Cyber Twin are overdone but it impressed people in the store. You wouldn't want to use most of them.

Ginny does a lot of public service time with several none profits and the city. I have done a lot of volunteer work related to the Runestone and it is very time consuming. I also find that volunteer boards are often lacking in results and waste a lot of time. I donate a lot of time doing music (benefits) and recording. I do not have any more time to donate. We really need people doing these things and it is rewarding for most who do it. -- Darwin