Thursday's Lunch Report 10/10/13

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 am

Hello everyone thanks for the response yesterday. It’s getting closer to the weekend, and NFL week 6 starts tonight. So bring on the football!

Lunch:
Lunch tonight was a turkey sandwich, a granola bar and an orange. Nothing exciting, but it’s working for me and my weight.

G&L:
G.A.S. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t see a guitar that I want. 99% of my time spent online is either reading about guitars, or looking at guitars for sale. The one thing I do know is, the next two guitars are going to be a semi hollow ASAT special with a maple neck, and a Fallout.

The last few years my tastes in music and guitar style have really changed. I have been moving away from hard rock and have been getting into music from the 60’s and 70’s. I’ve also discovered a lot of great blues players. So with that in mind, my next guitar is going to be unlike anything I’ve ever owned before. I’ve never owned a guitar with just single coils and a maple neck. That is why I’m interested in an Asat . I’ve been talking about ordering an ASAT for a few years but I keep getting sidetracked by finding a deal on a Rampage that I can’t pass up. Hopefully one won’t come up for a while causing me to put off my plans again. Around the first of the year I’m ordering a Fallout. It was love at first sight when Craig posted photos of them during NAMM earlier this year.

Is there a particular guitar that you have been Gassing for?

Speaking of an ASAT Special I really like this guys playing. I find myself watching all of his videos showcasing different gear for pro guitar shop. I've been trying to copy his style and picking technique. I've never really tried playing without a pick.

[youtube]zx_E3vxiPBQ[/youtube]

Non G&L:
Here is an interesting amp I found in a local shop last year. It’s an Atomic Reactor 112. It’s an 18W tube amp that is for the POD or VOX Tonelab. There are no controls on the amp, just the input and power switch. It has a docking tray that you can sit the POD in, plug it in and it snaps in place. It’s a fun amp. I like the Double Verb amp setting. It’s great for just playing around the house.

Anyone use effect and amp modeling gear such as the POD or Tonelab? I like them, but nothing compares to my good old analog pedalboard.

I think if I played live I would prefer the analog pedals over modeling products.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Thursday's Lunch Report 10/10/13

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 am

Dave,

I have non-stop GAS. The instruments that have been at the top of my G&L wish-list for a long time are a G-200, a Leo-era ASAT Bass, and a Leo-era P/J-style SB-2. I'd also like something in Belair Green, just because I love that finish and haven't found anything with it yet. A first-style SC-3 had been high on the list for a long time, but that's taken care of now. I will try to post some NGD photos tonight. The non-G&Ls I GAS over are a PRS bass (any of their four-strings would do) and an early Ovation Magnum bass. Those are down low on the list and probably won't happen for a while.

I picked up a couple of digital pedals back in the late '90s, but never bonded with them. I'm 100% analog in my signal path. Make that 90%, since the Sonic Stomp is probably digital...

Ken

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 am

my next new G & L will be a Fallout , otherwise maybe another pre BBE , but it will be awhile before any next purchase ..... I'm kinda in amp mode right now

I have a Line 6 floor pod plus I use with head phones but it doesn't sound good with my tube amps or my old Solid state Kustom , not sure why on the SS ? ...... I have a MXR distortion box , a Gain changer , BBE sonic stomp , BBE mindbender , BBE two timer and BBE compressor 3080 to use with my tube amps .... probably get a WAH pedal soon , I'm in analog mode too

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 am

I bought my SC-2 because of a demo by Andy at PGS . There is another guy who demo's for wolfeguitars ( Joe ) that also sold me on the SC-2, which is the only guitar I have bought without playing first. My gas has been held in check somewhat since I started playing golf again after an eight year hiatus. I had planed to order a Fallout in the new year but now I'm going to get some new clubs instead. The golf bug has bit hard. That amp looks interesting, I bet its fun !

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 am

Hey Dave, Great week so far!

Haven't decided on lunch yet, really want a meatball sandwich but I know dinner tonight is pasta so I'm paralyzed by indecision :lol:

I always have GAS, but right now there is two things in particular, I have the funds to purchase one so maybe you guys can help me out, need to decide by tomorrow. I'm between a '63 Fender Princeton or a '84 SC-2 (2nd body style).
As not to hijack the lunch report I'll put up a help me decide thread in General :mrgreen:

I don't tend to use effects much so I stick with analog pedals

Have a great one!
-Dave

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

Dave--how does the atomic amp sound with your POD? I have a POD that I have tried in all my amps, and it always sounds terrible. It's supposed to be great for digital recording, but I don't get into that stuff. Russ Freeman (Rippingtons) records through a POD directly into the board and it sounds amazing. Nice to use with headphones once or twice a year.

I have tried many pedals and at one time had a board and all the trappings, but I always go back to using different amps or channels on amps to get what I am looking for. Pedals just don't seem to hold up in a band setting for me. The one pedal I have, I highly recommend. It is a Barber Tone Press, basically a compressor/boost. It is very reasonably priced and works very well with a couple of guitars on one or two highly-used amp settings, especially clean settings on Fender reverb amps using an ASAT Classic and an Invader Deluxe I have.

I have the sickest GAS of all, because I look and rarely buy. I guess I have what I want.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm

GAS:
G&L->Either an S-500 or Comanche. Maybe a Legacy if I found the right one. I like the G&L builder to check out different looks, I think either sonic blue with maple fb or tobacco burst with ebony fb. I'm not buying new and it seems the used market for s-500 and Comanches are pretty slim pickings...

But what I've really been GAS'ing for is an acoustic guitar. Mostly learning some finger picking lately and I really like it. I have a A&L dreadnought which I like very much, but I want something more like 'concert' sized (OM or 000). I really like Taylor's 414, Breedlove's C25 or a Halcyon (sp?). The latter seems like an incredible deal and they are stocked at one local shop here, no idea about Halcyon's model numbers but I played a OM that was amazing (especially considering the price).

But having played guitar just over a year I don't need anything too nice.

Effects:
I have a BOSS ME-25, works great with headphones, amplified its OK. I also have a friends (very old) line6 pod (it doesn't even have a screen on it). I like the Boss much better than the Pod.

I have a couple 'nice' analog pedals (loaners) and amplified they win when compared to the Boss - but the Boss is still good enough for me. Only thing I really don't like is having the time-based effects in front of the preamp. So next up I'm going to try the 4CM method..

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Hey Dave,

Watched hockey last night. Blues made the game winning goal with :21 left. Exciting game. Hockey is a bit easier on you than the NFL when it comes to commercials. There is more of a steady game during hockey.

Today's lunch was a sandwich.

Craig just sent me the Two Timer pedal. I never hooked up a pedal to my custom DIY pre-amp before. After a few minor glitches, reading up Buffer Effect Loops in TUT1 http://www.londonpower.com/tube-amp-books/The-Ultimate-Tone/TUT, and some solder. it is running smooth.

With Kevin's BFX http://www.londonpower.com/effects-loops , I have the ability to put the effects loop AFTER the pre-amp with little signal loss.
There is also an option to set it to parallel. The Wet signal mixed with the Dry. This gives the end user more control or power over the amount of effects added to the signal. And when you switch effects, the pause or that millisecond of silence is removed because the Dry signal is never affected.

I didn't like having the Two timer before pre-amp, now that it is after, and I can adjust with the knob. It is more pleasant to work with.

Here is the DIYer. The BFX card is hanging outside the chassis in this pic

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Dave, lunch was a sandwich after a trip to the airport. I am in charge of Sammy and Magic for a few days. Lot of responsibility but I will manage. :mrgreen:

An Asat Special semi hollow is about as good as it gets. These are my versions.

And

They would work as a one guitar for most people. A Bigsby would be cool but I like the DF and have the Bigsby version on my semi hollow Z-3, another near perfect guitar.

I have never seen an Atomic amp or a set up like it. It really makes sense as I also use a Vox Tone Lab and you don't need anything else to adjust. I didn't know that anything like this was available. A great idea. We are starting a recording project this weekend and the Vox will get used. I don't use much for pedals and if I need something for recording, we use the Tone Lab.

We all have bouts with GAS although I seldom experience it as I am all set. I did make an offer on two guitars today but it was not accepted. Lucky for me as Ginny left town and I would have had a hard time explaining it. She accuses me of getting in trouble when she is gone. :shocked003: -- Darwin

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't think you'll be disappointed with an ASAT Special S/H. I am a huge fan of '60s and '70s music (and earlier) and use a Classic for all that stuff. Yesterday I used the SC2 for the first time in a while and those big MFDs are even better for it - they seem to produce a 'bigger' sound. And a S/H body will add a nice touch to them.

GAS: I'll take a G200 too, a rear loaded one. A reissue would be just as good as an original for me. I've been looking at SG's online all week and am going to try one out today - again - but I know how that is going to end up, I won't like them at all. Then there's always the '82 SC1 with a saddle-lock bridge that I dream of owning, and countless amps. I'll be starting my first "proper" job soon and when I do the floodgates will be opening! Having been a full-time student for the last 4 years I've trained myself to live off of barely any money, so even modest a full-time wage (like the one I'll be getting, which is about 30% less than I was making before uni :lolno: ) is going to be like winning the lotto :thumbup:

I have never used a POD through an amp, but have used them for recording. They sound every bit as good as a mic'd up real amp, at least when there's an amateur using inexpensive microphones in a spare bedroom/garage doing the audio engineering. The software packages the PODs come with make using them a breeze too. My dad has a Boss GT6 multi-fx that neither I nor he ever worked out how to use! I don't use many pedals, but the ones I do use are all individual ones, it's just easier for me that way.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Dave_P wrote:Hey Dave, Great week so far!

Haven't decided on lunch yet, really want a meatball sandwich but I know dinner tonight is pasta so I'm paralyzed by indecision :lol:

I always have GAS, but right now there is two things in particular, I have the funds to purchase one so maybe you guys can help me out, need to decide by tomorrow. I'm between a '63 Fender Princeton or a '84 SC-2 (2nd body style).
As not to hijack the lunch report I'll put up a help me decide thread in General :mrgreen:

I don't tend to use effects much so I stick with analog pedals

Have a great one!
-Dave

Hey Dave -

Go for the vintage Princeton, and hold out for a first-style SC-2. 'Nuff said! - ed

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Lately I have been growing increasingly bored with food. This morning I woke up feeling out of sync and didn't have a chance to prepare a decent lunch to take with me. I ended up grabbing cookies, some frozen tiramisu and a danish. Later I grabbed coffee. I felt worse by the end of the day, who would have guessed? I need a good meal of meat and potatoes with a vegetable.

In the past Pro Guitar Shop had been a strong online force for G&L, however, for some reason they currently only have one G&L guitar (a Tribute) in stock when they had always had 10+/- mostly USA models. I emailed them about a custom order and they never responded. Every other dealer has written back when I sent inquiries. I don't subscribe to the opinion that a phone call is king. With schedules and time zone differences I get a lot out of the way in advance through email then call if things are working out. Andy, doing the demos, has a great voice for broadcasting. He often does rhythms from popular songs in the demos but I am not a fan of his lead playing.

I have been GASing for an S500 but I think I have developed a different and dangerous form of GAS more recently. I have been interested in guitars for their finish alone. I am looking at duplicates and triplicates wanting the same guitar in other colors. There are so many desirable finishes that there are just too many things to tempt me.

I liked the Fallout initially. But I would rather have large MFD's in it. I prefer the proportionately smaller headstock of the Fallout but the rest of an SC-2. Because I dislike the larger (way too large in my eyes) headstock of the SC guitars even though I love the body shape I will stick to Legacy/S500 and ASAT body style guitars.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:00 am

A little late but...
Lunch was spicy turkey without fat, "cantonais" rice, and diet fruit yogurt as usual.

I am gassing every single day, mostly about G&L, but about effects and amps too... Actually I made the commitment of keeping the number of guitars down to 3 (we are four now living in a 55m² flat), but I have a bad GAS attack every now and then, I want an ASAT Special... badly.... but I can't sell either of my guitars (vintage white ASAT Classic Custom - Honey Burst Classic S from the 2004 special batch - Autumn Burst S-500 Deluxe prototype).

Your cherryburst SH is killing me Darwin :shocked003: !!!

I'm really into good analog effects lately, I'm in love with Catalinbread, I only own a Montavillian Echo which is stellar, but I want one of their Boost pedals, one of their Fuzz, the vibrato/chorus, the Pareidolia.... AAAAAAArrrgh !

You see my problem (and I didn't even talk about amps... Carr amps, vintage Fender amps, etc)

Well it's been a good week, thanks

Xavier
Last edited by supereiv on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 am

Hey Zapco,
definitely buy the Princeton. I have the baddest gas for one and since I don't answer to a woman for my financial decisions anymore I want one BAD.
I was talking to a bloke who had a good point , Guitar stuff finds you.
Even though I'm needing a Priinceton Reverb , I could be sidetracked by the right Champ or even better Deluxe in that sexy tweed clothing.
Speakers count a lot in Princeton so only buy it if it has a Jensen if you want the best tone.
While I'm here , great week but I miss Louis!
I'm in desperate need of a last model Interceptor 2 tone , can't sleep at night
LeoF

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31 am

LeoF The Champion wrote: While I'm here , great week but I miss Louis!

LeoF

+1 , and hardly a thought about the OP in that thread .

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 am

Xavier , your lunch sounds amazing . French cuisine is almost as good as Fender amps, almost .

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:45 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Xavier , your lunch sounds amazing . French cuisine is almost as good as Fender amps, almost .

Thank you, but this is not really french cuisine :D cafeteria cuisine maybe ?

If you insist, my dinner was my wife's improvised pie : pizza paste with dijon strong mustard, slices of tomatoes, anchovies in brine, and little balls of Mozzarella di Buffala - cooked 25mn at 190°C, served with Mesclun salad... was really tasty ! :banana:

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:28 am

Hey Dave,

You will Love :luv: the ASAT semi. It is a great guitar.

Surprisingly, my GAS has been held in check... I guess because it has only been a few months since the Bigsby Special has arrived. I will say being back around here certainly cause GAS pains! And at risk of sounding like a broken record... I am really excited (now GASing) for my LE-2!!

I am a good old pedal board kinda guy also. I played with a guy who used the line 6 delay... I always thought about picking one of those up someday.

Scott

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:15 am

Dave,

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short.
I didn't see any of the Thursday night game. But I did get some perverse pleasure in reading this morning that the Giants are now 0-6 and Manning continues to throw interceptions.

That Atomic amp looks interesting. I've got a POD XT that I use quite a bit at home. Not crazy about using it in front of an amp but I use it often to practice with headphones or plugged into the `puter for direct recording.

Gas? I'm always looking and dreaming. But not buying these days. A semi-hollow Bluesboy would be nice though :)

Jeff

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's been interesting hearing what guitar you guys are Gassing for. And I noticed all the positive feedback on the ASAT Special. I'm starting to think that will be the next guitar instead of the Fallout.

Ken: I saw a G200 for sale recently (possibly Gbase? I know it was expensive) I keep going back and forth between Belair Green and Sonic Blue when I think about ordering my guitar. Like you I prefer analog, but the Pod is great with headphones for around the house.

Fumble: When you are looking for a wah, check out the Jerry Cantrell Wah by Dunlop. It's a modified Cry-Baby but with a knob to control the amount of the effect. I really like it.

Dave: Keep us updated on which one you pick!

Ldavaz: The Atomic amp is pretty cool, but it would never sound as good as the real thing. The Pod is emulating the amps, so the Pod AC15 would never sound as good as a real Vox amp. But like I mentioned earlier, it's great for around the house.

Meowmix: The DIY amps are way over my head! :crazy: I wouldn't know where to begin, so kudos to you for understanding that stuff!

Tim: I love the sound of those metal resonator guitars! I could sit and listen to guys play them for hours! Sounds fun. And thanks for the recommendation on the ASAT Special.

Darwin: Those are two great looking guitars! I've never noticed the DF on an ASAT before. I didn't realize it was an option. I was at the Minneapolis Airport recently on a layover from Vegas. It was during the last heat wave when the temperatures were in the mid 90's. I was wondering how close you were to that area! And don't get into too much trouble, you might have trouble raising bail with her out of town! :shocked028:

Salmon: I noticed the same thing with PGS. I hope they continue selling G&L's.

Scott: The thing that made my mind up about the ASAT Special was I saw a video of someone playing Zeppelin's The Ocean, and they were playing a G&L with the large MFD's. The tone floored me! I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it was one of your videos?

Dave