Monday's Lunch Report 10/07/13

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:35 am

Hello everyone, I will be assuming the Lunch Report duties this week. Hopefully I won't bore you, or bring up subjects that have been beaten to death. I work midnights, so the reports will be posted early in the morning before I go to bed.

Even though I haven't posted much in recent months, I still try to read the boards as often as I can. The summer months are a busy time, so it's hard for me to participate. For those that don't know me, I'm Dave. I'm from the Dayton, Ohio area, and I am a huge G&L Superstrat geek.

Lunch:
Being on midnights my lunches are usually pretty light. Last year I lost 35 lbs, so I skip fast food places. Tonight my lunch is a couple of oranges, and two bologna sandwiches. For those that don't know, I am a police officer. So under no circumstances will I ever be seen eating a doughnut or drinking coffee while on duty! I made that mistake once early in my career! :lol:

G&L:
I'm curious to get other members opinions on the newer guitars G&L has released. For me, I love the new guitars they've produced this year. For the last two years I have been dying for them to reissue the Superhawk. When they finally brought the model back, they included a couple of big surprises. I really like the idea of the push/pull coil split. And I like the fact that they changed the bridge from the Kahler to the Saddle Lock Bridge. I'm anxious to try the Saddle Lock Bridge and hearing the difference in the tone. I like the Kahler, but all of my G&L's have a Kahler. I'm interested in trying something new.

I was all set to get the Superhawk, but then I saw the Fallout. Wow! I really love the look of the Fallout. I like the old Rampage style headstock, and in my opinion, the guitar is a classic looking guitar with all the modern twists. I can't wait to get one in my hands and try the P90 out. The Fallout looks like it belongs with all of the other classic G&L's.

G&L seems really focused. They stick with the classic models like the ASAT and continue to try new things like body wood and electronics. I think the ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition with the pine body and the ASAT Classic Alnico are very interesting models. I like the fact that they embrace the old models that they are known for, and continue to improve them and try new things while keeping the G&L look and feel. This is evident with all the recent prototypes they sold during the last year.

What are your thoughts? Are you happy with the new twists on the classic G&L's? Or would you like to see them come up with something completely different, more radical?

Non G&L:

With Football Season in full swing, are there any football fans here? If so, who's your team? I am a die hard Cincinnati Bengals fan. It's been tough being a Bengals fan. I've had to endure a lot of miserable games for the last two decades. But we're on the upswing and we have a pretty talented team. Today was a great day as my beloved Bengals beat the 4-0 New England Patriots. And how about that Cowboys/Broncos game? :shock: Whether you like Manning or not, what he's doing so far this season is fun to watch. I'm lucky that my wife and kids are football fans as well, so every Sunday you will find us glued to the TV watching football all day. Life is good!

Thanks for taking the time to read. I look forward to your responses and opinions.
Dave

Re: Monday's Lunch Report 10/07/13

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 am

Hey Dave, cool start !

So you're a police officer ? Do you only take night shifts ?! :crazy: must be tough. I was a professional firefighter here in Paris France (from 99 till 04), we took between one and 3 shifts of 24 hours in a row (17 shifts of 24h a months), but night only must be tough.

Anyway, lunch was chili con carne with rice, raw carrots and diet yoghurt.

I'm pretty excited with the line G&L seems to follow, I think it's clever, and the ideas they develop are cool ! I loved reading the stories behind all the prototypes they posted on the website (I even bought one actually). The only thing I miss from the factory nowadays is the MFD option for the ASAT Deluxe.

Can't say anything about US football for obvious reasons.

Have a nice one

Xavier

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am

Hey Dave!

Thanks for picking up LR duties.
Lunch today is Chicken and some salad.

Dave, when you pull people over, do they ever say to you "You're full of Bologna"?

It is really hard to watch football become more and more feminist. This month they wear pink. If the NFL wanted to help cancer patients, they should split it 50 50 between prostate cancer(men) and breast cancer (woman). 95% of all NFL revenue comes from men, and it just pisses me off they would do something to please the feminist when they hate men.
Roger Goodell is a mangina. Good for Cincinnati for beating N.E. Bronco have no defense. Too early to tell who will do well in the playoffs.

Superhawk. :elguitar054: Here are my initial impressions.
14" radius -Interesting number. Something between the more common 16 and 12.
1.75" nut - big plus. No need to say more
Fret nickel - I guess Jerry is used to playing nickel, I would prefer SS. :thumbdown:
Maple body - soft or hard, I want to know how much does thing weight? :?:

What is the official G&L superstrat? I did not know it was the Superhawk. Need to investigate this one. :searching:

Have a good day Dave and stay within the Law.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 am

Hey Dave, first of all a big thumbs up to you for being a police officer. You guys do a hell of a tough job and face a lot of criticism and other crap. Good on you :thumbup: Must be really hard to avoid fast food in that job too!

RampageFan wrote:What are your thoughts? Are you happy with the new twists on the classic G&L's? Or would you like to see them come up with something completely different, more radical?

I think that the "twists on classics" is very much the state of the industry - whenever I go into a shop all I see is strats, teles, Les Pauls and of course metal guitars for teenagers. Maybe it's just me, but there don't seem to be any groundbreaking new guitars around. The most recent I can think of is the Parker Fly in the mid-90s...

We've started getting a bit of American football on TV here but none of the local rugby competition when it's running. It's an outrage!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am

Hey Dave,

I'm in the same boat as you.... I try and read as much as i can... Just so few hours in the day to post! I am glad you took the time to take the reins this week!

With regards to the new G&L stuff - I am actually just really glad you can continue to completely customize the existing line of guitars :D It is nice to see them add new models without taking a whole bunch away. I am really starting to get excited about our LE-2 version of the Fallout :happy0065:

As far as NFL goes.... I bleed Jets green. Always have, always will. And it put a giant smile on my face to see your Bengals hold the Pats to 6 and win on Sunday! We have Atlanta tonight.... I just hope that we can keep it an entertaining game. I have liked what i have seen out of Geno Smith, he has put up more big plays than i have seen in 10 years of jets football.

Heres to a great week,
Scott

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Dave,

Although I'm personally not interested in the Fallout I was glad to see them branching out from the usual ASAT type issues they've been doing for years. Yeah, the wood choices and finishes are pretty, but it was refreshing to see something a little different.

I do love watching football. Even though I haven't lived in New England for almost 20 years, the Patriots are the only team I follow. I caught the 2nd half of the Bengals-Pats game on Sunday. Not to take anything away from the Bengals as they did play the better game. But I think the Patriots were lucky to be 4-0 going into that game. Brady hasn't been in peak form and the problems they have on their receiver squad isn't helping. And the run defense was sure hurting with big Vince Wilfork out for the rest of the year.

Jeff

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:00 pm

hi there Lunch Reportees (although its pre breakfast tomorrow here)
I can give a bit of feedback on the Fallout. I have been playing one for a while now. I got one because I like the lightness and comfort of the SC2 body shape but wanted a hardtail for easy retuning and a variety of sounds added to those the SC2 provided. The combined pick ups still give a snappy bright sound but the variation in colours that the P90 and the humbucker give me makes it a very flexible beast. I have been getting some nice swelling, singing sustain on overdrive with a woody, almost sax like tone at times. I wasn't sure if it would fit my needs as well as it has but the more I play it the more I discover how flexible it is tone wise and how easy and comfortable it is to play - if the LE2 is close to this it will be well worthwhile.

I occasionally watch some NFL but get frustrated with the stop start nature and the massively repetitive ads. My wife cant stand it. I do like it when the game is a bit more continuous but only seem to get those games now and then.

cheers
Jeremy

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:19 pm

I like the Fallout , but have a LE 2 ordered so it will have to wait , I don't have any saddle lock guitars yet but do like the like weight and sound of my SC 2 so someday will probably have one , the PG on the Fallout is fine by me , I like what G & L is currently doing

I watch Football sometimes , when I do I like to watch the Bengals if they are playing decent .... how can you lose to the Browns and then beat the Patriots ??...WTH .... lol

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I'd like to try the fallout, Jeremy's review makes it sound appealing.
...even if it reminds me of Mr.Potato Head (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Last time I watched football was something like this
[youtube]vgFZIS_a3CE[/youtube]

rock, rattle, and roll...
elwood

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:01 pm

jdavies wrote:
I occasionally watch some NFL but get frustrated with the stop start nature and the massively repetitive ads.

Agreed. The game can last over 3 hours when it shouldn't.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses.

Xavier: Nights are ok after you get used to them. The hard part is when I have court in the middle of the day! :evil: On court days I only get about 3 hours of sleep. I have many friends who are firefighters, and they work the 24 hour shifts the same as you did. I gotta give them credit, they are always ready to go when the alarms go off.

Meomix: I agree with you about if the NFL really wanted to help. They could be a lot more effective giving a percentage of the profits on those days, instead of making players wear pink then selling the pink stuff online, and giving a percentage of the sales to the charity. The Superhawk, Invader and Rampage models in the 80's were the G&L Superstrats. They were trying to compete with Jackson/Charvel and Kramer guitars of the day. If you look at the specs of the San Dimas Charvels, the Rampage is based on them. The neck radius, oiled neck, maple body and the Kahler tremolo.

Blarg: Thanks for the kind words. You are completely right about the current state of guitars Seems like the 2 big USA companies have run out of ideas, because all I see anymore are the latest signature models. And don't get me started on the metal guitars. IMO they are very sad guitars. I like the fact that G&L keep trying new things while keeping the same models.

Scott: Can't wait to hear the tone reports when you guys start getting the LE-2. I haven't been following it lately, any idea when they will be ready for shipment? Glad to be of help to your Jets! I wonder if Sanchez still thinks he's the starter when he returns? :lol: Geno has been impressive! Wish Andy Dalton had his arm!

Jeff: I have a lot of respect for Brady and Belichic. The beauty of watching Belichic was during the end of the 1st half. The Bengals were trying to run the clock down, but he managed the clock well and got the ball back and got 3 quick points before the half. Smart coach, but the NFL goes in cycles and it is catching up with the Patriots and Steelers.

Jeremy thanks for your input on the Fallout. I think I am ordering one after the holidays. I can't wait to try one out.

Fumble: I've been meaning to ask you, did you buy your ASAT at Centerville Music? If so I played it a couple of times. It was a really nice guitar. He's a good guy, I like dealing with him.

Elwood: You always crack me up! That's what I like about you, you're always thinking outside the box!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Dave, great start. I checked this morning but didn't have time to post until now. Crazy day. I have been an HVAC guy today (fixed furnace,two control boards before it worked), developing my drummer career (I purchased a Rolland Handsonic 10 for recording) and had a sandwich for lunch to boot!It is not easy being a retired guy!

I have been delighted with the recent G&L offerings. They are doing some cool things. I would jump all over a Fallout if I could get one with out a pickguard. We'll see what the future brings. I am into lighter guitars so weight makes a difference for me. Lets face it, I am almost middle aged. G&L has done some interesting things in the last couple of years. The last guitars I have purchased have all been spectacular. The Savannah Asat Bass is spectacular to look at although I haven't gigged it yet. I miss the 5 th string.

Glad to see you are still working at the PD and midnights would be tough unless you get used to it which you obviously are. You get to see a lot of weirdo's on that shift as we don't stand out much during the day :crazy: . I do not watch football although Ginny does. You have to be diligent and patient to be a Vikings fan. We apparently signed a new QB today. That will rev the fans for a couple of games. Instead, I have been revving up for recording which we will start next Sunday. That is usually a marathon but this time I really have a group to record. I know you are a Rampage fan and I almost jumped on an Invader last summer but it finally sold which was a plus for me. Maybe someday?-- Darwin

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Yep C'vlle Music , I had Mark fret file it smooth and set up , some of the lower frets were grooved pretty good ..... It was on the wall when I ordered my legacy , just couldn't resist, They have a couple new guitars in stock now , a real light weight Legacy in shore line gold and ASAT Classic Blonde just came in

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I think G&L is doing some nice things, but all of their new lines seem to be based on the ASAT, with nothing for us guys who like the Legacy-bodied guitars.

I like the Superhawk and the Fallout but they're not for me, not my style.

I am a big football fan, the Seahawks are my home team. I also follow the Washington Huskies, and the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers.

Bill

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm

RampageFan wrote:
Elwood: You always crack me up! That's what I like about you, you're always thinking outside the box!

Well, there won't be alot of thinking being done when I'm finally inside the box :shocked015:

I do watch the news, and I gotta ask, does the Seahawks coach annoy anyone else with his inability to project his words?
it always sounds like he has his hand over his mouth.
As someone who is very sensitive to sound, I can't seem to ignore the wimpy ones .
It's always a race to mute that guy...I fear it may be contagious (sympathetic vibrations and all that).

I just can't see him shouting out orders to 300 lb players, they are doing well according to my neighbor, so I guess I have to keep the mute button within reach for a while more.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey Rampage fan,

I love the new models, as long as it says ASAT on the headstock! ;) Gor me a Alnico Classic 'S', Solamente, and Solamente Alnico of the new 2013 models and all are stellar. Hope to top it off with the GbL LE-2 and the Savannah Bluesboy 90 before year's end.

I love American Football. I was introduced to it while still living in Amsterdam, NL, when cable television was introduced, which include a station call Sky Television. There was a fella name Bob Payton living in London who would give a summary of the Sunday games every Monday evening European time, so MNF was never included. And he made it abundantly clear he was from Chicago, and a huge Bears fan. in any case, his program turned out to be immensely popular. And guess what? His Bears played the Superbowl against the New England Patriots that season, and Sky decided to put it on live. Which meant i was watching Superbowl XX at 2am in the morning. But what a blast.

Since I do not have cable (nor rabbit ears), hence no TV at home, I always go to my favorite sportsbar to see MNF. Tonight was o different. And I'm happy for Scott because the Jets pulled out a last second, and deserved I would claim, win over the Falcons! Oh, what ever happened to the butt fumble and Tebow-mania?

One,two, three, Hawks!

- Jos

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:28 pm

RampageFan wrote: Wow! I really love the look of the Fallout.

This is one of a few that I find classy looking...not potatohead-like at all :
Ebay Graphite Fallout

How good would black hardware look on that puppy ??

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:47 pm

I have read a few comments about the Fallout. Some people have not found a color combination they like. Pickguard Haven offers their inventory of materials in the Fallout pickguard. I believe that a cream pickguard would work wonders in many cases. IMO some of the color combinations try for modern when they should be classic. Cream is the answer.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:I love the new models, as long as it says ASAT on the headstock! ;) Gor me a Alnico Classic 'S', Solamente, and Solamente Alnico of the new 2013 models and all are stellar. Hope to top it off with the GbL LE-2 and the Savannah Bluesboy 90 before year's end.

Isn't that LE-2 only available in a Fallout/SC body style?

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 am

Salmon wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:I love the new models, as long as it says ASAT on the headstock! ;) Gor me a Alnico Classic 'S', Solamente, and Solamente Alnico of the new 2013 models and all are stellar. Hope to top it off with the GbL LE-2 and the Savannah Bluesboy 90 before year's end.

Isn't that LE-2 only available in a Fallout/SC body style?

Yup it is. Reading back what I wrote, it indeed is a bit confusing. Notwithstanding, that 'Mustang' body style still has a close relation with the ASAT, due to the pre-BBE era SC-2 being the forefather of the Broadcaster/ASAT.

- Jos