LR Oct 4 Friday. We are finally here.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks for letting me be your Lunch host. I actually had quite a bit to talk about.

Lunch
Whatever I have for lunch, it will include Red Kale. I think it Kale. Red stem, green leaf.

Youtube
Found a Video of a concert I went to 25 years ago.
The cartoon Charley Brown had a bird named Woodstock. Woodstock was on the sheet of paper that day.
You know the rest.
As for the show, it could have been the best I ever seen them play in. Over 100,000 youtube views verifies it
[youtube]OekWK7LorMw[/youtube]

Shaved my head with electric razor. Now I don't feel the need to shower as often.
You bald guys, do feel the same?

G&L

Neck and finish

Vintage Tint Gloss - Has a hue of an aged finish. Can work well for both a vintage or modern look.
Not recommended with Wood Binding on a Swamp Ash body (doesn't match well).

Vintage Tint Satin - Has a hue of an aged finish with the modern feel of a satin finish. Can work well for
both a vintage or modern look. Not recommended with Wood Binding on a Swamp Ash body (doesn't match well).

Light Tint Gloss - More of a subtle hue than Vintage Gloss, adds character and warmth to the look. Versatile.

Light Tint Satin - More of a subtle hue than Vintage Gloss with the modern feel of a satin finish.
Adds character and warmth to the look. Versatile.

Clear Gloss - A great choice for use with a Natural Gloss finish.

Clear Satin - Standard on most models, satin is smooth and easy playing.

No description on function.

Question
Where does Poly fit in all this?
Is it Polyurethane or Polester?
Does finish wear out?
I heard Poly does a better job protecting. Is that true?

Non G&L
Teaching guitar.
Question: Teaching triplets. When you switch from teaching Scale A to Scale B?
I had a teacher give me all these scales that were meant to teach speed, dexterity, efficiency, technique. And it was good.
Mostly Scale A style( see below): Pure yngwie malstream
After a while, you just had enough
When do you switch over to Scale B?

Project
You paid to have your guitar setup by the shop with a new nut.
The High E is off.

What the hell? :x The luthier is not to make these mistakes!
If I wanted a crumby job, I would have done it myself. And it would have been cheaper.

It gets worse. Another thing caught my eye and I really didn't pay much attention to.
The locking tuners had the strings wound around them. Locking tuners are only suppose to have 1/4 of stem wrapped.
Isn't that common knowledge?
I thought to myself "Who worked on this? The lawn maintenance guy?"
Seeing this makes me think the shop grabbed a scrub and had him work on it.
Horrible job!

I'll be talking to them today to get to bottom of this.
This is unacceptable. Let's see how they handle it.

Re: LR Oct 4 Friday. We are finally here.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:27 am

Well, to me scale A is not a scale, it is an arpegio. I use both, I tend to consider that scale contain arpegio. But in the end, it is just naming something to learn it more easier. Arpegios are useful when playing the changes, especially on complex tunes.

Your luthier seems to be pretty bad, at least it is a poor job. I'm lucky to have a stellar luthier these days, he did such an impressive job at setting my asat classic s, that this guitar is number one since (well it has to share the first place with the S-500).

Great week, thanks

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 am

supereiv wrote:Well, to me scale A is not a scale, it is an arpegio. I use both, I tend to consider that scale contain arpegio. But in the end, it is just naming something to learn it more easier. Arpegios are useful when playing the changes, especially on complex tunes.

Your luthier seems to be pretty bad, at least it is a poor job. I'm lucky to have a stellar luthier these days, he did such an impressive job at setting my asat classic s, that this guitar is number one since (well it has to share the first place with the S-500).

Great week, thanks

You are right. Arpeggios. Scales are Major, minor, phrygian, Octatonal, whole tone, Bitonal, Messieon 3....
Messieon is interesting because it has no character. :rolleyes: Playing that scale brings me, nothing.

I came back from the luthier and yes I do believe he did a bad job with the nut. THe tuner is debatable. Sad to say, there was a bigger problem underneath all of this, and I am beginning to think this guitar is a lemon.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 pm

meowmix wrote: Sad to say, there was a bigger problem underneath all of this, and I am beginning to think this guitar is a lemon.

What's up Doc?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 pm

meowmix wrote:

Messieon is interesting because it has no character.

What's that?
it's nice to have a tangent about MUSIC :shocked028:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow, crowdy in here guys !

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Elwood wrote:
meowmix wrote:

Messieon is interesting because it has no character.

What's that?
it's nice to have a tangent about MUSIC :shocked028:

Messiaen Mode 3 (symmetrical scales)

Mode 3: H W H H W H H W H

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 pm

I put TAB in there for FUmble Fingers to play.

He needs to work on Scale B.

Can anyone guess the piece?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Elwood wrote:
meowmix wrote: Sad to say, there was a bigger problem underneath all of this, and I am beginning to think this guitar is a lemon.

What's up Doc?

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The new neck does not sit correctly in the pocket. The original did. Now what?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm

meowmix wrote:
Elwood wrote:

What's up Doc?

Either a shim, sanding block , or...?
Might be a good subject for a new thread, is it not square? too high? too low? too loose?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Elwood wrote:
meowmix wrote:
Elwood wrote:

What's up Doc?

Either a shim, sanding block , or...?
Might be a good subject for a new thread, is it not square? too high? too low? too loose?

The original tapers to 1 5/8"
The new tapers to 1 3/4" , just a little shavings. 1/1000 or more.
Could shave neck, but that would require another finish.
Metal paint is thick.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Scales? Arpeggios?

All I know is...I weigh close to 350 lbs....and I avoid scales as much as possible! :happy0007:

Have a good weekend!

Bill

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm

meowmix wrote:Found a Video of a concert I went to 25 years ago.

I had the second set of that show on tape. It must have been wonderful to experience in person. Yesterday I was listening to shows from '89 and '90 on YouTube while I worked. Brent Mydland's vocals in his last two years were unreal.

meowmix wrote:Shaved my head with electric razor. Now I don't feel the need to shower as often.
You bald guys, do feel the same?

I use a Gillette Fusion razor two or three times a week. I start with my face and keep on going. I like having a clean shave, and I also like to have about 1/8" of stubble. I get to have both styles twice every week.

Ken

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:57 pm

meowmix wrote:I put TAB in there for FUmble Fingers to play.

He needs to work on Scale B.

Can anyone guess the piece?

ha ha ha ..... I decided to re-learn reading music again , but thanks for the tabs , now I don't have to look it up ..lol

been a good LR week , bummed on Louis being gone though ...... I learn a lot off of this site , what a wealth of knowledge from everybody !! , I realize that different people get on this site for different reasons , I joined to find out more about G & l's and found out in the process that this site is the BOMB for all music questions , and I have a bunch , I even learned a few things off of that post that got locked with Louis

HNGD too !! it looks beautiful

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Hmm.... I didn't know people attending Dead concerts listened to the music.* I also didn't know anyone attending Dead concerts was in a condition to hear, let alone comprehend the performance.*

I had thought they just sort of hung out with the general concert event vibe and attendees were part of the performance. I think it was the promoter Bill Graham in the SF Bay Area that originated events where the bands were not elevated above the audience and presented as stars or celebrities. The Grateful Dead were one of the originals that emerged from this idea. A significant percentage of Dead fans travel to attend the events and boast of how many rather than how good the band played at any of them.

But of course there would be some people that were fans of the band and/or music.

(*sarcasm)

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 am

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I'd like to find a music teacher to help learn this. :happy0007:
Have a great weekend!
Tim

George Bellas (https://www.georgebellas.com/MainSite/Pages/Home.html) is my teacher. Not too long ago I said to him "George no more scales! Please". He stopped after Messieon 3...for now :shifty:

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 am

KenC wrote:
meowmix wrote:I had the second set of that show on tape. It must have been wonderful to experience in person. Yesterday I was listening to shows from '89 and '90 on YouTube while I worked. Brent Mydland's vocals in his last two years were unreal.

The title of the video was "Down hill from here". Every Chicago area show after really was downhill. East Troy had an excellent vibe to the place. When the shows moved closer to the city, it lost the vibe and wasn't all that fun anymore.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 am

Fumble fingers wrote:
meowmix wrote:I decided to re-learn reading music again ,

I have to keep on relearning where the middle C is on the guitar.

Have you figured out who the composer is in Section B?

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I have been out of town several days recently and am late to the table. I have enjoyed the LR's this week and have tried to participate when I can.

I love the score that Tim posted. There are more notes on that page and I can't imagine spending the time to figure them out! I do not read music while playing guitar or bass. Being in a cover band, that works great. My ears are my guide. Usually if it sounds good, it is!

There are different types of poly paint. Fenders produced in Mexico use Polyester paint. I do not know if it is cheaper or an EPA issue that it is used in Mexico. All I know is that poly in general gives you a thick, durable finish. When you chip poly, you have a CHIP.

The neck fit issues interests me. I would think through this a bit. I do not think the resolution is to shave the sides of the neck but I would rather make a very precise rout on each side of the neck pocket,measuring very carefully and using a guide on the router. Food for thought. It would have to be done very carefully to not chip the paint. I would do some research on that. Thanks for the fun week Meow.-- Darwin

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

darwinohm wrote:There are different types of poly paint. Fenders produced in Mexico use Polyester paint. I do not know if it is cheaper or an EPA issue that it is used in Mexico. All I know is that poly in general gives you a thick, durable finish. When you chip poly, you have a CHIP.

I had no idea thanks for clearing that up. Google search had 15,0000000 hits and was overwhelmed. Thanks for saving me time.

darwinohm wrote:The neck fit issues interests me. I would think through this a bit. I do not think the resolution is to shave the sides of the neck but I would rather make a very precise rout on each side of the neck pocket,measuring very carefully and using a guide on the router. Food for thought. It would have to be done very carefully to not chip the paint.

That is what he wants to do. He says I will not be able to see it once the neck is back on.
Have a great weekend.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Scales? Arpeggios?

All I know is...I weigh close to 350 lbs....and I avoid scales as much as possible! :happy0007:

Have a good weekend!

Bill

:sign0011:

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 pm

darwinohm wrote:The neck fit issues interests me. I would think through this a bit. I do not think the resolution is to shave the sides of the neck but I would rather make a very precise rout on each side of the neck pocket,measuring very carefully and using a guide on the router. Food for thought. It would have to be done very carefully to not chip the paint. I would do some research on that.

Got the guitar back. It looks to the eye much better. I'll have to play with it for a week or so to see how my hands and fingers feel about it.
The luthier did not shave the pocket wood. Instead, he said the pain was thick on the inside and he only shaved the paint.
I had high hopes in the metal flake paint, only to have my hopes crash and burn. I think I'll stick to the premium transparent paint from now on.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:38 pm

meowmix wrote:
darwinohm wrote:The neck fit issues interests me. I would think through this a bit. I do not think the resolution is to shave the sides of the neck but I would rather make a very precise rout on each side of the neck pocket,measuring very carefully and using a guide on the router. Food for thought. It would have to be done very carefully to not chip the paint. I would do some research on that.

Got the guitar back. It looks to the eye much better. I'll have to play with it for a week or so to see how my hands and fingers feel about it.
The luthier did not shave the pocket wood. Instead, he said the pain was thick on the inside and he only shaved the paint.
I had high hopes in the metal flake paint, only to have my hopes crash and burn. I think I'll stick to the premium transparent paint from now on.

I'm hoping that you will update your Project Page post with all the details and photos of this installation of the aftermarket neck.
I'm interested in knowing the measurements of the neck heel on the original G&L neck and this aftermarket neck. It sounds as if the aftermarket neck was a bit
too wide.

:ugeek: