Wed Oct 2, colored tuners

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 am

[youtube]kWBhP0EQ1lA[/youtube]

Do you guy get your Omega-3s during the day?
I ask this because, if you did, you know it will only strengthen your nails and make them grow.
Being a guitar player, that means you must cut your nails.

Here are some high end nail cutters.

Personally, the cheap $1 ones at the store work fine for me.

Q1: Do you use anything special to cut your nails?

I watched a video of a guy who used his teeth. Years later it caused a hair line fracter in his big tooth. Yikes!

G&L topic: Tuners.

I was so happy to be finally get black tuners for my neck.
Ohh look at this! Black Tuners

Such a dissapointment. :(
The metal stems are not black, which defeats the purpose of black tuners. :problem:

Give credit to G&L for switching over to other company.
I own both types of Locking tuners G&L had over the years. The current ones they use now, looks so much nicer.

Q2: What is your preference on tuners?

In Monday's LR, someone mentioned how cheap the Musikraft neck was. That is only part of the total cost.
Those Black tuners were $80. And we still have not put a finish on the neck, painted headstock, fret dressing, and installation.

Speaker Cabs.

Do you like your speaker cab?

Time to give Kevin a plug.
I bought his book about Speaker Cabinets (inside are DIY diagrams)
http://www.londonpower.com/tube-amp-books/oconnor/Speaker-Book

Built one close to his specs.

And these are much better than what I had before.
Open port makes the speaker breathe easier.

Q3: Have you guys tried open ports before? How did you like them?

Re: Wed Oct 2, colored tuners

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Happy Hump Day Meowmix! And the same to all lurkers.
I don't use anything special to cut my nails but I do it at work because my clipper doesn't get lost here. LOL
I think I missed the reason for needing the Musicraft neck. Did you have a mishap with one of your G&L's? Or did you come across a body for cheap$??
Colored tuners- Usually black.
I used to hate them because of inconsistent color and barrels or other parts not matching, but the right set looks nice.

Speaker cabs: as a bass player I have a bunch of them and you can certainly design a ported cabinet more efficiently than just taking one speaker out of a two speaker cabinet!
A closed back cabinet will take your guitar tone to a very different place than what comes out of an open back guitar amp.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 pm

bassman wrote:I think I missed the reason for needing the Musicraft neck. Did you have a mishap with one of your G&L's? Or did you come across a body for cheap$??

I did have a mishap with the way the frets were dressed on one. But the main reason was to move from 1 5/8" to 1 3/4.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

My favorite black hardware:

Ken

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:56 pm

KenC wrote:My favorite black hardware:

Ken

Ken, those Black looks cool. I just don't know where to get them.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 pm

meowmix wrote:Ken, those Black looks cool. I just don't know where to get them.

The only source I know of is a mid-late '80s ASAT...

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

BTW, those ASAT tuners appear to be identical to the regular G&L-branded Schallers from that time period. The only difference I can tell is the finish.

Ken

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 pm

KenC wrote:BTW, those ASAT tuners appear to be identical to the regular G&L-branded Schallers from that time period. The only difference I can tell is the finish.

Ken

Yes, Schallers do have them, but no one in USA sells them in black.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 am

I usually use clippers but I have been known to do the "oh geez, gotta trim these nails" chomp chomp chomp.

Meh, tuners for me are about functionality not aesthetics. Those ones still look good though.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 am

I have a set of Sperzels on one guitar that are gloss black and unlike yours, they have black shafts. If you check out their website, they offer all sorts of wild colors. I really like the Sperzels; I don't think you can find a better-made tuner. I like a lot ofdifferent tuners, and a lot of it is aesthetics. I took off the locking Sperzels off my '59 Historic Les Paul and reinstalled the Gibson keystone Klusons, mostly due to the look, but the Sperzels are better tuners. Nice people to deal with, too

I don't have any fancy nail clippers, but I probably have 15 sets squirreled away...briefcase, toolboxes, electric jam bag, acoustic bag, dopp kit, clothes duffel, car, bathrooms, and more. When I want clippers, I want them NOW! And if they don't cut clean, I toss them. I also carry a swiss army knife with a scissors and I have some of the Victorinox Swiss Cards that have a file. I take a vitamin supplement to keep them strong, and sometimes I apply some clear Sally Hansen polish to protect the nail of my right index finger.

The Mesa cabs I have are my favorites, bar none. I have two of the 412 Half-Back slant cabs, a 212 Half-Back, a couple of the 112 Theile ported cabs and a 212 Horizontal Recto cab. I like using the Half-Back cabs-- open top and closed back on the bottom. Really the best of both worlds. The Theile cabs do the same thing with my Mesa Mark Series combos.

The port in the cab allows the designer to achieve best bass response, efficiency, and low distortion. The port has to have the proper dimensions to tune it to the speaker specifications. The EVM 12" is wonderful in these cabs, making the small Mark III or IV combo a potent stack killer...like a .44 Magnum Derringer in your pocket.

I really like my Mesa cabs.

Bill

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:15 am

Boogie Bill wrote:I have a set of Sperzels on one guitar that are gloss black and unlike yours, they have black shafts.

I had no idea I bought a non-black shaft. :cry: I think I have been shafted.

Boogie Bill wrote:The EVM 12" is wonderful in these cabs,
Bill

I use 15" EV speaker in mine. Older models of EVs are awesome.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 am

KenC wrote:
meowmix wrote:Ken, those Black looks cool. I just don't know where to get them.

The only source I know of is a mid-late '80s ASAT...

When you just can't make up your mind.