Tuesday Oct 1st. More pics of Musikraft headstock

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:56 am

Tuesday,

Lets get straight to the topic of the headstock.
More pictures and measurements to see the difference.

Darwin has pointed out

darwinohm wrote:
I do see an issue with the alignment of the tuner holes, especially on the low E side.
The tuner holes should be closer to the nut to give a better alignment between the nut and the tuner.

Darwin

Let's take a look: Both necks are 1 3/4" nut width.

Musikraft LOW E string. See the angle of the string go inward.

Compare it to the G&L Low E

Musikraft Low E and High E are both tilting inward

G&L. Low E seems pretty darn perfect. The High E moves out

Musikraft peg spacing of 10mm tuners is LESS than an inch

G&L peg spacing of 10mm tuners is MORE than an inch. Closer to 1 1/16.

There you have it. I can tell you I noticed that as well. The tuners are too close together on the Musikraft.

Lets see if I can get someone to respond from Musikraft on this.

It would be great if they could change what they have. Or maybe there is a special option to space the tuners our more.

In these examples, both necks are 1 3/4" nut width. I have with me a 1 5/8" G&L and as far as I can tell, it sets the tuner holes exactly the same place.

I'll post later today on lunch.
Last edited by meowmix on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tuesday Oct 1st. More pics of Musikraft headstock

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 am

your guitar has the 1 3/4 nut ..... it looks like a 1 11/16 nut would probably line up with the tuning pegs fine

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 am

Great pictures showing the differences. It will be interesting what their comment will be.-- Darwin

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

fumble is right. they don't change the tuner holes when they change the nut width. a major oversight. especially on a trem equipped guitar. maybe you needed to put that in the special instructions as well.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 am

Fumble fingers wrote:your guitar has the 1 3/4 nut ..... it looks like a 1 11/16 nut would probably line up with the tuning pegs fine

I have a 1 3/4" G&L and a 1 5/8" G&L. Both seem to have identical peg tuner spacing.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 am

meowmix wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:your guitar has the 1 3/4 nut ..... it looks like a 1 11/16 nut would probably line up with the tuning pegs fine

I have a 1 3/4" G&L and a 1 5/8" G&L. Both seem to have identical peg tuner spacing.

See: Question about 1.75" or 1&3/4" or the #4 neck.

:ugeek:

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 am

Craig wrote:
meowmix wrote:

See: Question about 1.75" or 1&3/4" or the #4 neck.

:ugeek:

Craig, when I asked that question, I did not have a 1 3/4" with me. Now I do.
As far as I can tell, using a straight edge ruler, the S500 uses the same spacing. I can't comment on other models.
Between the Low E and the nut have the same spacing, and the spacing between tuners are the same. As far as I can tell.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:36 am

Found it!

Spacing is found in the 3 Bolt version. This S500 is from 1996 or thereabouts. Back then they used different tuners.

G&L 3 Bolt 1996 front. Low E and High E tilted inward

G&L 3 Bolt 1996 Low E

It looks like Musikraft used the 3 bolt version for the hole placement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 4 bolt G&L S500 seems to have identical spacing between nut sizes.
Hard to tell in this pic, but the Low E string slightly points out. The 1 3/4 doesn't show this.

Another bad picture. It shows the Low E tilting outward.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 am

Jim replied to my email.

He doesn't post on the boards, but if you guys have questions, post them here and I'll ask.

Thanks

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 pm

After emailing Jim back and forth, here is my take on our discussion.

MK needs to keep things as simple as possible to keep problems and costs down.
The tuner spacing they have works for all heel widths they offer. In reality, there is no problem. It is something we would like to have. If you look at the 3 bolt version above, they look to same as MK.

My advice to people who are thinking about getting a neck from them is to do it soon.
There is a point where it is no longer profitable to continue making a product if they have to answer 5,000 emails / phone calls for every item they sell. This is true for all businesses.

Now back to the LR.

I had beans and peas for lunch.