Monday LR Sept 30. Something new on the horizon.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am

Whoo Hoo.

I'm will by your Lunch reporter for this week.
[youtube]aQeIDhz-_eg[/youtube]

Hello all.
My name is Peter and I have been a G&L owner since mid 90's.
For the rest of the week, I will be focusing on the 3rd party neck from Musikraft.
http://www.musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid625.html
It is something I think you all will be insterested in hearing. So lets get started.

Lunch will consist of beans and something green. Not sure yet.

G&L topic. Headstocks.
I really dig this headstock. http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=9057

Q1: And what is your favorite G&L headstock?

Diclaimer: Over the years I realize, I like the 1 3/4" neck over the default 1 5/8" on my G&Ls.
Give credit to G&L to offer this option. Some guitar manufactures will not. Also, G&L has that C neck that is so comfortable with my hands.
Can't always say that about others.

I could decide to sell my guitars at a discount and buy again with the larger neck. Or, I can try the 3rd party route.
Which is exactly what I did. I bought a "J&L" Musikraft neck.
Here are the specs.

Items:
----------
JNL (2 PC Constructed)
Qty: 1
Amount: $355.00
Price: $355.00
Options:
Head Stock Shape: Generic OEM
Orientation: Right for Right Hand Players
Shaft Wood: Quartersawn Maple + $70
FB Wood: Black Ebony + $35
Nut Width: 1-11/16 (42.85mm)
Heel Width: 2-1/4 (57.15mm)
Truss Rod: Dual Acting Adjust @ Head
FB Radius: 16
Fret Wire: Jumbo 7100 Stainless Steel +$25
Tuner Holes: 10 MM (Sperzel/Gotoh/Schaller)
Top Dots: Abalone Dots +$20
Custom Inlay: None Dot Inlay as Selected Above
Side Dots: Glow In The Dark 2mm + $10
Back Profile: Chunky C -2 .90 X .99
FB Edges: Semi Rolled
Finish: None
Nut Install: None
Comments: 1.75" nut width. It isn't an option above so I was told to put it in the comment section.
1-3/4" (44.45mm) nut width on neck please.
Subtotal of Items: $355.00
Discounted Subtotal: $355.00
Prepaid By Gift Certificate: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $16.00
--------------
Total for this Order: $371.00
Thanks again for shopping with us.
Musikraft LLC
--------------------------------------

Musikraft did not have a drop down option of 1 3/4" nut, you have to add it to the comment section.

Take a look at the difference in headstock shape.
Q2: What do you think of the Musikraft headstock?
Be honest.

I don't think it looks so hot.

There is another option where you can buy the neck in paddle style.

Q3: With the paddle style, do you think you can shape the headstock to your favorite shape?

Non-G&L topic
---------------
I was reading about back in the old days of 5 gallon toilets. Only when someone tried to flush a ham would the toilet will get clogged. And the plunger would be in the garage because it was rarely used. Today, plungers are right next to the toilet.

Q4: 1.6 gallon toilet. How are those working for you?

Re: Monday LR Sept 30. Something new on the horizon.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

Great topic Peter. I had leftover pizza for lunch.

I am happy to see there is an alternative neck manufacturer for american G&L's. I bet there are quite a few who may need a neck and sending back to G&L is an expensive option. The Musikraft neck looks like a good option. It appears that you can get pretty much what you want. As for the headstock looks, if I would buy one unfinished, I could shape it to my liking. As for the one pictured, I could live with that. I do see an issue with the alignment of the tuner holes, especially on the low E side. The tuner holes should be closer to the nut to give a better alignment between the nut and the tuner. Looks like a great option, especially with the stainless frets.

As for the G&L headstocks, They are not my favorites but I have become used to them. We all have different likings.

Cute cat clip. I can assure you that my cat would have been chomping on long before the end of that clip! -- Darwin

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Wow! That neck has $700 worth of G&L options for $355? All other things being equal, sounds like a great deal. ;)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm

not sure witch one is my favorite but I definetly like the "tit" and Interceptor is badd azz .... I can spot a G & L a 100 yard away if its got the tit

its nice to have replacement neck options

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm

They need to soften that concave cut on the headstock,
it reminds me of the old epiphone batwing axes, not on par with Georges eye for design.
even the paddle is cut too short to my eye.

Nice to have options though.
But looky at what you can get(if ya hurry) for the same $, I just posted this in the PSA's.

There was a "King of the Hill" episode all about the Lo-Flo conspiracies.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Favourite headstock,? The classic , how could the Stratocaster shape be beaten ? But Leo and his boys did with the redesign . I think it had to be redesigned after Fender thought G&L's was to similar to a Fender headstock in the very early 80's .

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

lunch was mashed potatoes and green beans, what looked (but tasted like cr**p) like pork schnitzel and diet fruit yoghurt.

I really like now the G&L headstock, I prefer the Legacy/S-500/Comanche though. I love being able to spot a G&L from long distance too, but what I really LOVE is seeing others staring at my headstock when they hear the sound :alright:.

It's nice to have a 3rd party replacement neck, but from France, if something happens to one of mine, it will be cheaper to buy a new guitar ! I strongly dislike the musikraft headstock, definitely.