Lunch Report 20/09/13 Getting Old and old times

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:05 am

Hello,
2 Boiled eggs for lunch today.
Well its just become dark in Australia and I have been playing both my acoustic and electric. A bit of a coincidence with the conversation about changing parts on our guitars this week and me. Today I picked up my Santa Cruz from the luthier complete with a new K&K pick up. You see I am always in the (don't change it team) and I changed my original guitar WTH. Change is good, right? While I was there he installed a strap button that I took to him( a G&L spare , so it must be good).Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory? Anyways we worked out where to best drill it and he turns to me and says I have done this 4000 times and it always stresses me. I said I have complete confidence in you.
My Father turns 73 tomorrow and we have always had problems communicating feelings to each other. As a side line, my luthiers are in the original Chris Kinman factory. I have been going there since the 80's. You might know Kinman from his guitar pick up range. He has been successful with pick ups but before that he and his team made about 1800 hand made guitars out of Brisbane. I saw him today for the first time in about 20 years.
Let's get on with the important stuff.
Do you have the same problem with your family and communication?
My G&L question is inspired by me just playing my 82 S-500.
Is your favourite guitar so, because the neck just feels so good or because it sounds so good. Or do you have another reason?
Thanks,
Anthony
PS He screwed the new strap button into the neck perfectly. I new he would but it was stressful.

Re: Lunch Report 20/09/13 Getting Old and old times

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:
Is your favourite guitar so, because the neck just feels so good or because it sounds so good. Or do you have another reason?
Thanks,
Anthony

It's gotta be both . If I have a great feeling guitar...I'll be excited that it may rise to the status of a daily player...so I'll make it sound as stellar as I can. Sometimes a nice tonal surprise comes up and then it's on to hours of playing and observations to see what I can learn.

Some of my faves are:
- an old thrashed 1980 F-100 that had no guts, I put in 4 early small mfd's and switching that'll go from one single coil to all 4 in series.
- a homebrew ...a '78 ibanez silver series neck attached to a bass body (mahogany with a flame maple top ) I modded, heavy brass bridge with a huge sustain block . old EMG single coils at the neck and middle , and a '51 Champ lap steel pickup and guts at the bridge . I used an old radio switch to add the neck to the bridge .
- a neck through bass that I've whittled into a fine instrument.
- I'm almost done with a 72 SG deluxe that was hashed...now it plays better than any SG I've ever had.
Gretsch pup at the neck, some mystery blackout active (don't think it's an EMG) bucker at the bridge.
I put in an Alembic stratoblaster booster and some other things that made it really tough to get the control plate fitting properly,
so I added some flame maple strips to raise it about 1/4 inch...I'm stoked to get to playing it a lot soon .
- I'll shoot some pics later if time allows.

My Dad is gone..I worked with him everday building a house and working on properties for the last 5 years of his life...it wasn't always easy...and I quit a great job to work with him (and my brother..that made for some stressful times). If there is some good to come out of time spent together, then take that opportunity while you can.
I won't spend another second of my life with my brother. It got to the point where the more you tried to help, the more he'd
find a way to take advantage without thanks.
So I have one family member and a few cats in my world. I'm grateful to have time to spend with my mom and the furry ones.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 am

G&L strap buttons are excellent, I've never had one fall off the strap. I cannot say the same thing about Gibson or the Fenders I owned. I didn't know Kinman made guitars too, that'll be something else to lust after, I'll put it in line after a custom made Maton acoustic...

Favourite G&L is between the Korina Jr and my '97 ASAT Classic. There's no one thing about them that makes me prefer them to the others, it's the whole thing. Both feel great despite having different shaped necks with different finishes. The Jr seems to have a more rounded edge to the fingerboard than any others I own and if feels great in the hand, and although the neck is the same #1 profile as on three others, this one is just right.

I'm lucky to come from a good family. My brother and I have exchanged blows on several occasions, but he's changed a lot in recent years and we now get along fine. Hope you have a great day with your old man, Anthony :thumbup:

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:48 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory?

I've always wondered why they did that too. It would be nice if they came from the factory with two strap buttons. I have a Larrivee that doesn't have any strap buttons.

LeoF The Champion wrote:Do you have the same problem with your family and communication?

Communication, has never been a problem.

LeoF The Champion wrote:Is your favourite guitar so, because the neck just feels so good or because it sounds so good. Or do you have another reason?

The neck must feel right! Sound is a close second. I've found that if a neck doesn't feel cofortable to me, that I won't play a guitar.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory?

Because it's a good idea to have constant asymmetrical forces at the end of the neck (using a tie for one strap end)?
:shocked028:

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:16 am

Elwood wrote:
LeoF The Champion wrote:
My Dad is gone..I worked with him everday building a house and working on properties for the last 5 years of his life...it wasn't always easy...and I quit a great job to work with him (and my brother..that made for some stressful times). If there is some good to come out of time spent together, then take that opportunity while you can.
I won't spend another second of my life with my brother.

Family can do that to you. I am lucky but just some bad communication.
Sprinter 92 wrote:
LeoF The Champion wrote:Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it

So I have one family member and a few cats in my world. I'm grateful to have time to spend with my mom and the furry ones.

I am sure your mum is one great lady Elwood.

Good for you Sprinter. " Communication, has never been a problem." What is the secret?

I didn't know Kinman made guitars too, that'll be something else to lust after, I'll put it in line after a custom made Maton acoustic...Hope you have a great day with your old man, Anthony
Thanks , have to make the most of each Birthday nowdays

Interesting when I told Chris I saw a 1987 Blueprint Strat copy on Ebay , he asked was it an icon? That must be the one.
Elwood wrote:

Because it's a good idea to have constant asymmetrical forces at the end of the neck (using a tie for one strap end)?
:shocked028:
[/quote]

Okay smarty pants , why don't strap manufacturers put ties on anymore? I haven't seen one since the 70's.
Thanks

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:28 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:
Okay smarty pants , why don't strap manufacturers put ties on anymore? I haven't seen one since the 70's.
Thanks

Because it's not rock and roll??
because it would add another 2 cents that they could use to fatten their bottom (line) ?

good question Anthony :thumbup:

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:55 am

My fave G&L is the Classic S (with the S-500 dlx close), but it depends on the ease I have to make it sound right to my ears, so I guess the whole guitar matters. I must add that my fave guitar depends on the context I'm gonna play in (or the mood I'm in if I'm at home).

Communication used to be great with my father but isn't anymore since he suffers from Parkinson dementia (that's what become the Parkinson disease in 15 out of 100 cases)

communication is very difficult with my mother and brother, but it's alright, I'm just too weird for them and at least I understand that fact :D

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:Hello,

depends on the family member. my dad was never around, so we don't talk much.

My legacy was my favorite since I got it because the neck felt so good in my hands and the body didn't annoy the crap out of me when I was sitting with it, like my LP. But I think my left hand is more nimble these days and trying more fingerpicking so I appreciate the slightly wider neck of my LP. So for me it seems comfort is #1.

PS He screwed the new strap button into the neck perfectly. I new he would but it was stressful.

I have noted that good number of folk-y guitarist use a tie-on strap that goes on the button at the bottom but ties under the strings on the headstock just past the nut. I have always guess that is why they do it.

great LR - but only two eggs for lunch? I would starve..

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am

Lost my Dad last November, always had a hard time communicating feelings, though in the year or so prior to his passing I could tell he was really working at it. Don't wait until it's the end of the line, trust me, you end up trying to remember everything you've always wanted to say/know and in such a stressful time you will inevitably think of things you wanted to say after it's too late.

Favorite guitar is my '06 ASAT(special) the neck is perfect for my hand and I do love the large MFD's. I will say that it is more about feel for me, I had a '90 ASAT that had THE sound I was looking for but the neck was too thin for me, couldn't get used to it and I sold it :BadIdea: Hoping to come across a set of Leo era large MFD's at some point to swap into #1

Happy Autumnal Equinox! (9/22)

-Dave

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:07 am

Hard boiled eggs, I had two for lunch yesterday ! Great minds I guess....

I mostly sit when I play my acoustic. I have just tied behind the nut the rare times I use the strap. I agree it would be too stressful watching someone drill into the neck heel.

Favorite guitar? The SC-2 is the one that is always out on the living room chair ready to be picked up. I'd say the best neck is on my P-Bass that I bought last December . That neck is why I bought a Fender instead of a G&L ( because there were no G&L basses to play, but that's another story )

My Father died when I was eighteen. I can't say I knew the man very well, I don't remember having any thought provoking conversations with him. He did have a great workshop and knew how to fix anything and everything however. He was at least a two pack a day man for as long as I remember, so you can guess what got him.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 am

Leof, When I first saw this report I thought it was for 09/13 and that I had missed it. Anyway, thanks for today. I would have normally had lunch but Ginny is preparing things for the weekend and I am the tester. I have already had more test samples than I would normally have for lunch. The band dudes love hanging out here! A lot of smart talk here this weekend.

Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory?

I suspect that it is because acoustic players prefer them in different places. It can go on the bottom side, center or upper side of the heel. When Kari brought her new American Breedlove over a few years ago she asked me to mount a strap pin. I also am very reluctant to drill and insert a screw into the wood on a guitar. I keep waiting for the wood to split! It did go fine.

I lost my mother at a very young age and my father in 1974. I have also lost 2 brothers and do not have many family left. As we get older we probably appreciate our family members more. I want to spend as much time as we can with our granddaughters as it is precious time. There is noting like watching these young, unaware children growing up. I wonder what it is going to like for them in 30 years. My parents were great parents and I now realize what it took to do what they did for us. They didn't have money but made up for it in every other way. Our grandchildren are becoming teenagers so I know that time with them will be less in the future.

A tough question fore me as I love every one of them. But if they don't look good they don't do it for me. So, all of mine are like new. I quite never bonded with my S-500 with the satin Birdseye neck. It didn't have the appeal. Now that I have finished the neck the way I like it, I love the guitar. The only G&L I didn't like was the Special Build Mahogany Bluesboy. I didn't like the neck. The Swirl Legacy I recently purchased has a wonderful slim neck. As for tone, they all work well. I adjust them to the sound I like and I am more concerned about my playing skills than tone. So, my answer is if they look spectacular, are lighter in weight, I look at the rest. Relics don't do it for me unless I had reliced it from use and at that point in time I would probably refinish it. The Pink Lady I recently restored has impressed me unbelievably. I didn't realize how great it sounded when it was an ugly duckling. -- Darwin

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:.Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory? .

count your blessing that there was only one. on the acoustics i have seen with two, the second one was in the most ridiculous location always, so you have to remove it (interferes with playing) and drill a new hole. it's much better to not have a hole there and to put it where you need it.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:05 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
LeoF The Champion wrote:.Why do acoustic makers put on only 1 strap button on the guitar when it leaves the factory? .

count your blessing that there was only one. on the acoustics i have seen with two, the second one was in the most ridiculous location always, so you have to remove it (interferes with playing) and drill a new hole. it's much better to not have a hole there and to put it where you need it.

That is a good point. Sometimes they put them on the underside and it is very annoying

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 pm

The guitar that is currently my favorite is a combination of feel, sound and looks. I am hoping the new one on its way will be better. I have no complaints but better than a favorite could only be better.

I almost bought a guitar based purely on the feel of the neck. It was an amazing guitar. It was better than any neck I have ever played. I decided against it partly because I realized sound and looks were important enough to diminish the appeal of the neck. I had considered buying the guitar without even playing it plugged in.

Communication has never been very good in my family. My mother was always most concerned about what she felt was appropriate which translated into a lot of disingenuous words. I actually felt ashamed to be honest even though part of me felt it was superior and called for in many instances. There have been times when I spoke from my depths and it rang so appropriate that I could see it shaking sense into people. I love honest trusted intimacy so much as a result. However it is more often uncomfortable because I was raised to reconsider my actions before acting into oblivion.

My father almost died a few years ago, Since then I have had a chance to experience a few candid moments when he revealed himself to me. He had always been very calculated unless he was angry, something he was quite often during my childhood. But in these times since his health crisis he has dropped his guard and I have enjoyed seeing him free to enjoy himself. I have paused to take it in each time knowing they have been and are to be very rare occurrences. He is losing his memory. He has also given up taking care of himself. He doesn't take his medication and has stopped seeing his doctors.

I really think the USA (it has to begin somewhere) needs to adopt a plan for dying. There are to be more elderly than ever previously. I for one would like to be able to take care of my business and leave this world quietly and cleanly by taking a pill. I would like my family to remain eligible to receive my death benefits without me having to die a messy death. It would be better for everyone. Why must we struggle to die when it is inevitable? Of course I am not speaking of everyone dying eventually. I mean when we are ready. It is for us to decide and not for anyone to say "well you might have changed your mind" or ""had you gone through with it then you would not have experienced this or that" There will always be something we miss out on by dying. We should not have to die a miserable death. Life should not be practically unbearable in our final years, weeks, days, hours, minutes.