Should NENA colors become a standard option?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 am

Yes, without exception
18%
Yes, but only if enough different tints are available
45%
No, create smaller runs with these special finishes
36%

Total votes : 11

LR Tuesday September 2013 - Nearly Naked ...

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 am

Hi gang,

Thanks for the participation yesterday folks; much appreciated! Specially since we all should have enjoyed the tail end of Summer '13. Here up in the Pacific NW it was another gorgeous day. Only problem encountered was that the bottle for the gas grill emptied out before the steak could be thrown on. Another indicator summer is about over and somewhat symbolic I would say. I'll wait until next year to refill.

And welcome back to the work week. Since I'll post my LRs early, this is my prediction for ..
Lunch
Thai Tuesday. It is supposed to be Thai Monday but Labor Day has wrecked the schedule ;)

In my daily life, I work for PopCap Games (which is a label within Electronic Arts aka EA) and have been very busy over the last year (and still am) working on game called "Plants versus Zombies 2 - It's About Time!". The game got released for iPhone and iPad about 2 weeks ago. And I feel (and hope) I will not break any forum policies in promoting it a bit because we give it away for free. Really! We don't want your money. At least not upfront and outright but more about that below. So play it!

The approach of giving your product away for free is called the fremium model in contrast to the premium model where you have the customer pay a fair price, or at least what you think is a fair price, at the point of purchase. The perceived advantage of fremium is that you'll get more eyes on your product and hence a wider audience. But there is definitely a risk to give away your product for free since now you'll have to rely on a certain willingness in at least part of that audience to pay for additional content or access. Most of us will be familiar with the term pay wall, currently used by many online newspaper providers. Or you just have to make money with placing ads, something that is not necessarily popular with users. The difficult part is what trade-offs to make in disallowing access to certain things unless one pays versus disenfranchising your customer base to the point they abandon your product. It is a tough problem in the modern society only acerbated by the trend of open source etc. which basically dictates everything should be free. Incidentally, lfor those interested, last weekend's episode/podcast of On the Media covered this area in as far as journalism and web content is concerned.

Non-G&L question
Are there things you think should be provide for free but aren't? Or vice versa?

Personally I have more of what I call the 'Public Radio' approach: I appreciate it when I get it for free but when I use it enough I feel compelled to sponsor the effort that goes in. Hence, yes, I am a member of the local NPR station and financially support things like Wikipedia because I see value in it.

In one my previous LRs, I showcased 'The Wrangler'. This was the first G&L with what became later known as a Nearly Naked (NENA) Honey Ale finish and the Baltic Amber pickguard. When a 2012 Special Collection ASAT Classic 'S' became available for a very reasonable price, it got added to the collection.
ImageImage
Although the collection already contained a 2007 Special Build ASAT Classic 'S', I was curious what John Toner's neck pickup modification would do. Well, the hum is different and yes, there is a little more Strat character in positions 2 and 4. But it is not earth shockingly different in my opinion. Not unexpectedly given what the finish is supposed to bring out, it has some gorgeous wood:
ImageImage
I was somewhat surprised though to not see any sticker on the neck heel and only a faint date stamp (JUL 16 2012)
ImageImage
Ah, of course it is all in the bath tub rout:
Dang! And unfortunately, this 2nd hand did not have any of the papers. Still a nice axe to have though!

G&L question
Should NENA finished become a standard option for G&L instruments? (See poll above)

Personally I think that right now, these finishes are special enough that some exclusivity is warranted. But if they come up with a suite of say another 3 or so NENA finishes beyond the current Honey Ale and Ice Black, it might as well become a standard option.

Have a great day!

- Jos

Re: LR Tuesday September 2013 - Nearly Naked ...

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:21 am

Congrats on finishing the game, I'll check it out!

Free stuff - I am a firm believer in providing a quality product and relying on it to sell itself. Crowd funding is a kind of similar principle, and that definitely works. I am a member of community radio stations, there's two particularly good ones in Melbourne and I alter my membership between them year to year. Best things about them is that there aren't any of those highly irritating radio ads, and none of the crap that's on the charts ever gets played. That's worth the membership cost for me.

I'm for more NENA finishes and making them available as standard options. I'd like to see some solid NENA finsihes too. The satin-frost finish on my LB100 feels a lot thinner than the gloss finish on the rest of my guitars and it feels gooooood. Also, it must be cheaper and more environmentally friendly not having to coat every guitar in a thick layer of poly. Win-win!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Jos, I had a Reubin for lunch with my Runestone buddy, Scott Wolter today.

I have the Equatorial Mahogany Bluesboy with a satin naked finish and quite frankly, I don't like it. I have another Special, same wood, with the gloss finish and it is what I really like. The satin one is probably going to be done in something else as some time. I might even make a Buck Owens out of it. I am not a fan of nearly naked finishes but I am sure that many like them.

Free stuff??, nothing is really free but it is a good way to promote a product. When I bought pro tools, a demo of Melodyne Uno was included. I looked at what it did and bought it. It is an awesome product. I really understand the product. Many of the image hosting products are free but the upgrades are attractive to people who don't want the ads. Souns like you have been busy.

The guitar you have shown today is very nice, I think the pickguard is as nice as they get. The thing about these special finishes is that you really have to see them in person. I think that some of these special finishes should be for special models.-- Darwin

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm

darwinohm wrote:Jos, I had a Reubin for lunch with my Runestone buddy, Scott Wolter today.

I have the Equatorial Mahogany Bluesboy with a satin naked finish and quite frankly, I don't like it. I have another Special, same wood, with the gloss finish and it is what I really like. The satin one is probably going to be done in something else as some time. I might even make a Buck Owens out of it. I am not a fan of nearly naked finishes but I am sure that many like them.

Free stuff??, nothing is really free but it is a good way to promote a product. When I bought pro tools, a demo of Melodyne Uno was included. I looked at what it did and bought it. It is an awesome product. I really understand the product. Many of the image hosting products are free but the upgrades are attractive to people who don't want the ads. Souns like you have been busy.

The guitar you have shown today is very nice, I think the pickguard is as nice as they get. The thing about these special finishes is that you really have to see them in person. I think that some of these special finishes should be for special models.-- Darwin

i like the feel of the naked finishes. only making them available for special models is great for collectors, but players need their customization options. i don't really care if they make it a standard finish, or allow the special releases to be customized. but neither is limiting it to people who are not concerned with details, either because they are not a good enough player to notice, or just want to admire it hanging on the wall. i haven't seen a nena honey ale with a maple board. that's a biggie. my next g&l will be a nena asat special no pg, or none at all.