Lunch Report : 2013-08-29

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Lunch:
Potato cakes with a side of tater tots. Hey, I do what I can to keep international Idaho potato expectations alive.

Time:
Oh my, this week is just bluring by.

They Might Be Giants:
I've been listening to a chunk of TMBG lately. I actually went and listened to their whole major release catalog in the last few months. Also saw the recent Boise show, including all of the 1990 release "Flood". They performed the songs in reverse order, and that actually worked out pretty well.

I enjoy that TMBG is not afraid to be gutsy. Here's the songs that end the Apollo 18 release (1992). Collectively, they are referred to as Fingertips.

[youtube]HXmBs1OppXw[/youtube]

Here it performed live (4:38) in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tp2B4YR_c&t=4m38s

...and how could I leave out the promo video for Apollo 18 (featuring "Powerspheres")?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biwkHJcxkIg

G&L
Name your favorite G&L model. Do you own one? Have you owned one?

Re: Lunch Report : 2013-08-29

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:38 pm

A Legacy would probably be my favorite, but I'm just as happy with a Legacy Special, S-500 or Comanche. They are all favorites. I like the way they compliment each other.

Bill

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:01 pm

thats a tough question , just like the "what year" question ..lol ..... I always like the newest guitar best , but after the honeymoon is over maybe my Comanche for versatility and my SC 2 for its light weight , simplistic design and function , just recieved a 1996 S 500 today but haven't played it yet , so tomorrow it might be the S 500 , current stable is 1998 ASAT Classic , 2013 Legacy , 2013 SC 2 , 2000 Comanche , 1984 Cavalier and a 1996 S 500 , recieved in the same order as posted ..... haven't tried the S 500 yet but up to this point all my guitars have there own sound and no two alike , I like them all equally just like a Mom would say , even though we always knew she liked our sister best

Last edited by Fumble fingers on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 pm

You know Brock, your always good for some kind of weird music I'd never heard of, a bit Zappa esck but I'm sure there guys weren't doing any orange sunshine.

Well you know I've owned about every Leo era G&L made, just had to try them all, I have four left and two are 82 S-500s best strat ever!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm not a huge TMBG fan but I did see them live a couple of times with a friend who is a HUGE fan.
Gotta admit each time was a fun show. They played some quirky covers. No surprise there I guess, they are a quirky band :D I heard a bootleg of a show they did called Stump The Band, or something like that. An hour or so of them doing whatever cover song people called out. They pulled off just about every song!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS :D

Yay!

Apollo 18 is my favorite but I don't have their full catalog.... yet... :)

But yeah, favorite model?

I like ASATs, I have an ASAT so there is that :D

But if I had to pick a favorite that I have never before held or played I would have to say... the G-200.

It looks all sorts of fun and tone-full and if I remember correctly it was even wired a little differently....

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

i've always been a tele fan... so, asat is the natural answer... but, if i have the opportunity to try or buy a SC-1 or 2, i won't let it go...

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Brock wrote:

Does this count? I can't get it outta my head.
No I don't have one, but I might have to try and make something similar.
I'm thinking with a L-2000 pup added to the mix somehow.

Black Crinkle and Ash are one of the things that screams G&L to me.

I might have to try my hand at an X-body too.

elwood

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 am

I don't own one, but my favorite is w/o a doubt the Broadcaster.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:13 am

Hey Brock
A classic Brock week so far! Its Friday night and I'm playing catch up.

G&L Year.
1979 - G&L established :-)

Favourite G&L Model.
I'm generally a S guy but the Broadcaster is probably the epitome of what G&L represents ... ooh umm how would I know that eerrr ... anyway, onto the next question ...

TMBG. Back in '99 I had to do a lot of driving around the State and Radio JJJ was a constant companion. TMBG's Dr Worm got a lot of airplay that year and was voted into 13th spot on the Hottest 100 for that year. My sons and I went to see the band live a couple of months or so ago at the Rosemount Hotel while they were touring to promote Nanobots. Notwithstanding extreme quirkiness they are seriously proficient musicians.

cheers, Robbie

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 am

Elwood wrote:
Brock wrote:

elwood

:shock:

wonderful !!! does it exist in medium size ??? :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 am

Elwood wrote:
Brock wrote:

Does this count? I can't get it outta my head.
No I don't have one, but I might have to try and make something similar.
I'm thinking with a L-2000 pup added to the mix somehow.

I might have to try my hand at an X-body too.

elwood

I'm thinking the LE3 should be a bass...just like this bass...

It looks like the pickup set they were using on the Lynx when this was built (1986, if I remember correctly from another site). The neck pickup is still in production for the SB-2, so it would only require some CNC coding and a slight modification for the bridge pup.

The only limitation I can think of with this bass design is that the tone choices would be thick and thicker. Still. I'd take one fretted and one fretless!

Ken

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm with Westside on this one . 1982 S-500 . Best guitar ever!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:29 pm

KenC wrote:
I'm thinking the LE3 should be a bass...just like this bass...

It looks like the pickup set they were using on the Lynx when this was built (1986, if I remember correctly from another site). The neck pickup is still in production for the SB-2, so it would only require some CNC coding and a slight modification for the bridge pup.

Ken

Maybe designated as the DA-LE B-17.
(Dale was a tailgunner in WWII).

KenC wrote:
The only limitation I can think of with this bass design is that the tone choices would be thick and thicker. Still. I'd take one fretted and one fretless!

Right, maybe a 'thin' switch? (a combo of phase and cap/res. combination?).
...or leave it the musician to eq the amp to taste.
That's why I was think of putting an L-2000 pup at the bridge-most position. You wouldn't want to mess with the look too much as that's what was one of the considerations ( to match the broadcaster look).

Make it extra long scale maybe to shift things toward the bridge .The body would have to be on the heavy side to keep the neck from diving. Bassists are used to big heavy things and finger stretches that the body resists (only for a while). :lol:

It wouldn't be the same without the black crinkle and beautiful curves of the three bolt plate...it would take a serious desire from those at G&L now to make that happen. probably just a pipe dream to have one from Fullerton :smoking030:
They keep their plates pretty full it seems.

Where is that bass now I wonder?

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Elwood wrote:Where is that bass now I wonder?

I swear that I just saw it for sale, but I can't remember where. I was discussing a possible trade with somebody on TalkBass. He suggested trading for an '80 L-1000 that had come from a recording artist's estate. When I checked for info on that artist, I came across a shop (in LA, IIRC) that had handled the estate. This ASAT Bass wasn't from the estate, but it was listed on their website. Apparently it was a one-off from 4-5 years before the ASAT Bass came out. I will try to find the info again.

Elwood wrote:Right, maybe a 'thin' switch? (a combo of phase and cap/res. combination?).
...or leave it the musician to eq the amp to taste.

I don't think thick would be bad, but it just wouldn't get that ringing Jazz Bass bridge pup sound. If the bridge pickup was worked into the approximate position of an L-1500 pup and wound creatively, it could probably get enough growl to expand the tonal range.

Elwood wrote:It wouldn't be the same without the black crinkle and beautiful curves of the three bolt plate...it would take a serious desire from those at G&L now to make that happen. probably just a pipe dream to have one from Fullerton

Either Chandler or ESI should be able to make the black crinkle happen...

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:58 pm

If we are talking about the ASAT Bass prototype it is for sale at Acme Guitars/Music City Guitar Shows.

- Jos

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks Jos,
Boy I'd love to donate some time at that shop keeping the dust off of the inventory .

Do the full size pics work for others here? I get mostly grey pixels.
at least there is a few fresh (smallish) pics`

To call or not to call, is that the question?
(anyone talked to Acme lately?)

nice to know it's not hidden under a bed ,
elwood

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 pm

I love the idea of a LE3 bass like that :D

And yeah, I think a different wiring would probably be good for the switch and maybe instead of a volume and a tone knob they could both be volume. one for each pickup and a three way switch for different tonal palates?